Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

8 hours ago, Camden lady said:

I have a problem with your word usage in this post.   Please do not call an epileptic seizure a "fit".  My son has epilepsy and he does not have "fits" but he does have seizures.  For someone so passionate about people with disabilities, that term is an insult to all epileptics.

Yet another example of American “English”. Calling seizures fits is not a derogatory term in UK. I’m sure no offence was intended.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Thanks Heidi13.

Yes Camden Lady, I am in the UK,  UK NHS site  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/epilepsy/uncontrollable jerking and shaking, called a "fit" 

Do you ever say ‘handicap/handicapped or fanny pack/bag? Those are just a couple of US terms, those in the UK think are crude/derogatory/rude, etc.  But I never criticise someone on a forum for using them, as it’s everyday speak for some US. 

So sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention.  I learned something today.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

So sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention.  I learned something today.  

You don’t need to apologise, I didn’t even know I was offending you (and maybe others) by using this standard UK word.  I have learnt something about US terms too. The ‘fun’ of international forums, where what is normal for one country is unintentionally offensive for another.  

• Like 5

When someone uses an outdated/incorrect/problematic term I look at how they used it and the context. 

If they are friendly, polite and being helpful I either let it go if minor or gently correct if major. I'd rather be called 'wheelchair bound' by someone who is holding an awkward door open and calling over someone to help me, than 'wheelchair user' by someone standing in the way. 

Similarly I'm not bothered about being a person with a disability, disabled or handicapped. Have got more important things to deal with. 

The last thing anybody should be worried about is terminology when offering help. Just be polite, do your best to get it right, accept any correction gracefully, and go from there. 

If they are trying to be offensive the gloves come off. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Yet another example of American “English”. Calling seizures fits is not a derogatory term in UK. I’m sure no offence was intended.

This exchange illustrates the complexity of the issue. Different countries use different terminology some of which may be unintentionally offensive to others. 

Even within a country there may be different definitions. The term “service animal” means different things to different people. Try and convince a person their emotional support pet is not a service animal. It will be interesting to see how Viking navigates this issue.

• Like 2

I would echo what some people have already said, with a few added in. I've seen many true service dogs over the years, and without exception, they've been docile, well-behaved, and extremely discreet. I would venture to guess they're probably better-groomed than some of their fellow passengers, too...

On the other hand, on cruises, I've experienced these things by human passengers, and NEVER by service dogs:

1. People who cut in line (a service dog would never do that);

2. People who demand a specific table, even when others were about to sit there (saw that on my 1st river cruise);

3. Noisy diners who seem to think the entire restaurant needs to hear their conversation;

4. Diners who seem to think that their political opinions need to be shared with others at the table, without having been solicited;

5. People who smoke (if they didn't share that smoke with me I'd be fine with it);

6. Humans crowding onto an elevator before others can exit;

7. People shushing me in the atrium when sitting and talking with friends, when an untalented passenger has gotten up to reveal her dubious vocal talent to the room.

I'm always happy to see someone enjoying a cruise, despite a physical infirmity; on our last Rick Steves tour we traveled with a couple who were 88 and 92, respectively. I hope to be just like them when I'm that age, and if I'm blind, I'll get a companion dog and woe to anyone who stands in my way!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Ready when you are😂🍿

Flip-flops: with socks or without. Discuss.

For extra credit: Birkenstocks with white athletic socks, 2 blue stripes. Acceptable formal dinner wear?

20 minutes ago, longterm said:

For extra credit: Birkenstocks with white athletic socks, 2 blue stripes. Acceptable formal dinner wear?

Without, they should only be worn if bare feet would be appropriate but surface is unsuitable. 

Birkenstocks are an abomination. As a general rule sandals should be brown and worn with grey socks. A knotted handkerchief is traditionally worn with them as headgear if on a beach😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, longterm said:

1. People who cut in line (a service dog would never do that);

On our Viking Montreal - NYC cruise on three separate mornings in the Worls Cafe, the same man would come up to the toaster while I was waiting for my bagel to fall down into the tray and reach in and grab my toasted bagel and then disappear! That's really a step beyond cutting in line.

Edited by ropomo
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ropomo said:

On our Viking Montreal - NYC cruise on three separate mornings in the Worls Cafe, the same man would come up to the toaster while I was waiting for my bagel to fall down into the tray and reach in and grab my toasted bagel and then disappear! That's really a step beyond cutting in line.

Just not fast enough!

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Without, they should only be worn if bare feet would be appropriate but surface is unsuitable. 

Birkenstocks are an abomination. As a general rule sandals should be brown and worn with grey socks. A knotted handkerchief is traditionally worn with them as headgear if on a beach😂

How about shorts with grey Crocs (the original) with navy blue knee socks with ducks on them.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Having spent most of my life in Florida and Arizona I have a question.  What are "socks"???🍹

Having spent my first 22 years in south Louisiana (scarred forever), I have a question:

What are shoes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

OMG. Sandals with socks--yuck. 

Unless of course they're black dress socks, those skinny thin ones that show pale flesh below.

Birkenstocks: I'm ashamed to admit that I was a wearer of them in the 90s--sockless of course though. Finally realized they were uncomfortable as hell. Hopefully they were ground up and made into sandals.

I'll also admit to having worn a fanny pack to football games years ago, until my sweet wife arrived on the scene and demanded its immediate and permanent removal. 

Nowadays I'm the height of fashion with my red Prince's Hot Chicken t-shirt (Nashville--the ORIGINAL and the best, before all the knockoffs like latecomer Hattie B's), khaki shorts, black flip flops. And more often than not, a grin as I people-watch.

7 hours ago, longterm said:

Men's flip-flops with socks only if worn with a garters, (AKA suspenders). If  topped with a fedora this would be suitable for the dinning room. 

• Haha 1