Steak vs Steak

Daddyfto

On the first day menu on Conquest there is Broiled Strip Loin Steak ( is the flat iron steak a thing of the past?) Tried it last cruise and it was just OK.  

My Question is if your order the $20 NY strip loin steak from the steakhouse options is it a better cut and worth the upgrade?  Also with these options coming 

from another galley are they delivered hot and yummy?

Thanks 

Daddo

The broiled strip is on the menu every night. Yes the flat iron is gone for now. The steakhouse menu is worth it. It does come directly from the actual steakhouse if there is one on board however,  I would honestly just pay the extra what $29 and eat at the actual steakhouse. Well worth the total cost.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

I would honestly just pay the extra what $29 and eat at the actual steakhouse.

$48 per person (plus Grat?) to dine at the Steakhouse.

So...is that steak (and overall experience) at the Steakhouse worth an extra $48?  Because the standard MDR broiled strip loin steak is "free" (no added cost, pre-paid, however you want to rationalize it).

To me it is occasionally worth it, but not always, not every night for certain, and not every cruise necessarily.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

$48 per person (plus Grat?) to dine at the Steakhouse.

So...is that steak (and overall experience) at the Steakhouse worth an extra $48?  Because the standard MDR broiled strip loin steak is "free" (no added cost, pre-paid, however you want to rationalize it).

To me it is occasionally worth it, but not always, not every night for certain, and not every cruise necessarily.

Yes in my opinion the steakhouse is worth the extra cost. I pay way more locally than Carnival charges for just as good of an experience.  The food is almost always consistently good. I can easily spend $150 at a good steakhouse here in Nola for myself for $48 is a bargin for really good steak.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

The striploin in the MDR can be okay. It's not as good as the steak they serve at Golden Corral at the best of times. It can be far worse if you get a bad cut.

Whoa! Not as good as Golden Corral? Thats and extremely low bar.... WOW! & YIKES!! 

note to self....steakhouse upgraded steak or pick something else. 😞

• Haha 1

DH and DS will order a steak from the upcharge menu in MDR and whatever else they want from the regular MDR menu.  I dont eat steak but it always looks good and both DH and DS say it is worth it.  They absolutely do the 2 lobster tails and order a steak from upcharge menu to get a nice surf and turf meal in MDR on elegant night.  

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

The striploin in the MDR can be okay. It's not as good as the steak they serve at Golden Corral at the best of times. It can be far worse if you get a bad cut.

If the Golden Corral is your point of reference, any future comments you make regarding food will be dismissed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Wow this is interesting, I haven’t cruised on ccl in several years , and reading up on here I noticed the strip steak was back instead of that gelatinous piece of shoulder meat aka flat iron steak. I have never had a bad steak at the steak house . Nice to know u can get one in the mdr for an upcharge !

The Steakhouse is good, but the $48 cost pp is extreme, especially when compared to other lines like Princess that charge $29 pp.  Also consider that you cannot compare the  costing to a land steakhouse, with the food cost built into the cruise fare, and different tax and labor structures.  

4 hours ago, coffeeboy77 said:

The Steakhouse is good, but the $48 cost pp is extreme, especially when compared to other lines like Princess that charge $29 pp.  Also consider that you cannot compare the  costing to a land steakhouse, with the food cost built into the cruise fare, and different tax and labor structures.  

Crown Grill is $39 although an extra entree is only $10 more.

Chops Grille on Royal is at least $65

For the cost of an "upgrade steak", I can just get a 3Lb Tomahawk steak at home, grill and season it the way I want, and enjoy it the right way. I don't need to pay that much from an extremely low quality cut of beef. We will be sticking to the included dining options this next cruise. Based on what I hear about the MDRs is that it is taking 2 hours from start to finish. That is an hour too long in my book. Too much other fun stuff to do than sit at a table and wait for food. If with a large group it could be different to catch up, but just wife, daughter, and myself, we can do that anyplace at any time. 

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Based on what I hear about the MDRs is that it is taking 2 hours from start to finish.

No, not unless you have a difficult or complicated dining party.  Last few cruises we could have been in and out in about an hour.  Typically we are out within 1.25 hrs.  But we do fixed time dining - the staff have an interest in getting you out within 1.5 hrs, and definitely well under 2 hrs.  Maybe YTD can be longer and less predictable.

Now sea day brunch, OTOH, can be a longer affair in the MDR.  I have heard of ~2 hrs for some folks there.  But again, for us we are usually out after an hour or so.

¯\_()_/¯

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 2:17 PM, starstruck05 said:

The broiled strip is on the menu every night. Yes the flat iron is gone for now. The steakhouse menu is worth it. It does come directly from the actual steakhouse if there is one on board however,  I would honestly just pay the extra what $29 and eat at the actual steakhouse. Well worth the total cost.

Depends. I honestly could care less about the desserts and appetizer at the steakhouse. Plus, it also depends what the other half wants. If I can get away with a good steak for $24 vs $96, I don't think it's always worth that difference.

• Like 2