How is the Zaandam and larger people?

ensredshirt

I am what, I like to say, Hagrid sized.  I have never cruised before but will be on the Zaandam in June and the videos I have seen the bathrooms look to be bigger than expected which is good, but the hallways seem small.   How is the ship for larger people?

Are you speaking of the hallways between the bathroom and closets, or the public hallways to the staterooms?  All I can say is if a person can fit in a stateroom bathroom, they can fit in a hallway.  Lots of larger people cruise.  You will be fine. 😉

Just now, Iamthesea said:

Are you speaking of the hallways between the bathroom and closets, or the public hallways to the staterooms?  All I can say is if a person can fit in a stateroom bathroom, they can fit in a hallway.  Lots of larger people cruise.  You will be fine. 😉

Lol I appreciate that.  The hallways between cabins looked super small to me comparatively to videos from other ships I have seen. 

As a larger person myself, was just on Zaandam in January… the bathrooms themselves are fine size, but the shower levels a little to be desired.  What I ended up doing is using the shower in the spa change rooms (and usually had a sauna for a bit beforehand).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

As a larger person myself, was just on Zaandam in January… the bathrooms themselves are fine size, but the shower levels a little to be desired.  What I ended up doing is using the shower in the spa change rooms (and usually had a sauna for a bit beforehand).  

Does that cost extra?  Are they private?

On 3/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, ensredshirt said:

I am what, I like to say, Hagrid sized.  I have never cruised before but will be on the Zaandam in June and the videos I have seen the bathrooms look to be bigger than expected which is good, but the hallways seem small.   How is the ship for larger people?

You will be fine, and I'm sure you will see some people larger than you.  I sometimes have to turn slightly sideways to pass someone in the hallways by the cabins, but it's not a problem at all.

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

You will be fine, and I'm sure you will see some people larger than you.  I sometimes have to turn slightly sideways to pass someone in the hallways by the cabins, but it's not a problem at all.

I would be shocked if that was the case 6'6" and heavy. 😂 When I say Hagrid sized I mean it. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mr Chew was 6'4" and heavy, and had no size problems in the hallways or bathrooms, or for that matter, anywhere on a HAL ship.  We've been on a few other cruise lines, and the only place he had an issue was on Oceania.  He couldn't stand upright in the shower (and we had a penthouse cabin).  I could barely stand up in the shower at 5'6".  

He would have been more comfortable with a king size bed, but had no real complaints about the queen-size beds we usually had.  The only issue with that was as night, if I had to get around the bed to get to the bathroom.  No matter how hard I tried, I almost always banged into his feet.  No complaint about the other furniture in the cabin.

And there were ALWAYS people larger than Mr Chew.  Maybe not quite as tall, but much much much bigger around.  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Mr Chew was 6'4" and heavy, and had no size problems in the hallways or bathrooms, or for that matter, anywhere on a HAL ship.  We've been on a few other cruise lines, and the only place he had an issue was on Oceania.  He couldn't stand upright in the shower (and we had a penthouse cabin).  I could barely stand up in the shower at 5'6".  

He would have been more comfortable with a king size bed, but had no real complaints about the queen-size beds we usually had.  The only issue with that was as night, if I had to get around the bed to get to the bathroom.  No matter how hard I tried, I almost always banged into his feet.  No complaint about the other furniture in the cabin.

And there were ALWAYS people larger than Mr Chew.  Maybe not quite as tall, but much much much bigger around.  

Thanks! I appreciate the information!  I updated my avatar so people can get a good idea of what I am like, just in case. 🤣

On 3/31/2023 at 3:55 AM, ensredshirt said:

I would be shocked if that was the case 6'6" and heavy. 😂 When I say Hagrid sized I mean it. 🤣

What a great way to describe yourself, Hagrid size….

I think you are slightly bigger (length) then my husband, not sure about the rest, he is quite heavy (and finally trying to loose some weight) 😊

I would love to hear your experience on the Zaandam, we will be on her in July. 
By the way, I never wondered before if he would fit in hallways 😂

I more wonder if we fit in a quad stateroom with our daughters (who are getting quite tall, I’m currently the smallest at home, and therefore I will probably be the one banned to sleeping on the sofa 😌). 

47 minutes ago, Greebo said:

What a great way to describe yourself, Hagrid size….

I think you are slightly bigger (length) then my husband, not sure about the rest, he is quite heavy (and finally trying to loose some weight) 😊

I would love to hear your experience on the Zaandam, we will be on her in July. 
By the way, I never wondered before if he would fit in hallways 😂

I more wonder if we fit in a quad stateroom with our daughters (who are getting quite tall, I’m currently the smallest at home, and therefore I will probably be the one banned to sleeping on the sofa 😌). 

Hehehe my mother shares in your pain as I am a good foot taller than her and even an inch or so taller than my father.  She got lucky my sister toped off right below her height. 😂 I technically am a single cruiser as I will have my own cabin, but my parents will also be on the cruise as well.  I have been on my own for so long now I couldn't imagine having all four of us in the same cabin. 🤣 Last time we shared a hotel room it was a three bedroom 3 bath suite in Key West, so we had plenty of personal space. 😂. I will be happy to update this thread with my experience.  I am just really excited for my first cruise.  My parents are princess pros but this is their first non princess cruise.  Even my sister has been on multiple cruises with different lines. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ensredshirt said:

Hehehe my mother shares in your pain as I am a good foot taller than her…..

I guess that is about the difference in length between husband and myself (more used to the metric system 😁) and daughters are somewhere in between (but still growing). 

1 hour ago, ensredshirt said: I will be happy to update this thread with my experience.  

That would be great!

Off topic, but you are going to LOVE your first cruise on Zaandam!  I will be on Zaandam in May and I'm taking a friend who has never cruised before.  I'm twice as excited as I usually am because of that.  As far as Hagrid-sized folks, as you've already heard, it's really not a problem as far as hallways! Are you traveling alone or with a partner? If not in a Neptune suite, the bed is queen, or divided queen, which is a bit smaller than a standard twin bed. I would be more "concerned" about bed size than I would about hallway size. BUT, Don't let any anxiety about that(or anything else) ruin your "planning season" and look forward to comfort and lots of fun!!  As others have said, and looking at your photo, there WILL be guests larger than you, and all of you will "fit" perfectly!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Off topic, but you are going to LOVE your first cruise on Zaandam!  I will be on Zaandam in May and I'm taking a friend who has never cruised before.  I'm twice as excited as I usually am because of that.  As far as Hagrid-sized folks, as you've already heard, it's really not a problem as far as hallways! Are you traveling alone or with a partner? If not in a Neptune suite, the bed is queen, or divided queen, which is a bit smaller than a standard twin bed. I would be more "concerned" about bed size than I would about hallway size. BUT, Don't let any anxiety about that(or anything else) ruin your "planning season" and look forward to comfort and lots of fun!!  As others have said, and looking at your photo, there WILL be guests larger than you, and all of you will "fit" perfectly!

Enjoy!

We are doing the cruise as part of a tour with GLOBUS so all I currently know at the moment is I will be in a d class room.  I should know more this week as we get to sixty days.. I have a queen at home so it shouldn't be an issue. 

9 minutes ago, ensredshirt said:

We are doing the cruise as part of a tour with GLOBUS so all I currently know at the moment is I will be in a d class room.  I should know more this week as we get to sixty days.. I have a queen at home so it shouldn't be an issue. 

You are in an ocean view stateroom (the most prevalent on Zaandam) and if you have the room to yourself you'll have your own queen sized bed.  I echo Greebo - please let us know your impressions!

• Thanks 1

One advantage of HAL hallways is that the stewards usually don't block them with carts, as on every other line (although I was shocked to see them on Koningsdam). I've been getting a little overwhelmed with the larger ships on all lines now, especially now that they're full, so I'm leaning towards Zaandam/Volendam as my main cruise options, particularly since I've never done the Panama Canal or Canada/New England, or the less-visited Mexico ports like La Paz (swimming with whale sharks excursion) or Loreto. 

I once had a beer with the actor who played Hagrid, Robbie Coltrane--he was doing a one-person show in a room above a London pub, and he invited me to have a pint since I was the first person to arrive. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rj59 said:

One advantage of HAL hallways is that the stewards usually don't block them with carts, as on every other line (although I was shocked to see them on Koningsdam). I've been getting a little overwhelmed with the larger ships on all lines now, especially now that they're full, so I'm leaning towards Zaandam/Volendam as my main cruise options, particularly since I've never done the Panama Canal or Canada/New England, or the less-visited Mexico ports like La Paz (swimming with whale sharks excursion) or Loreto. 

I once had a beer with the actor who played Hagrid, Robbie Coltrane--he was doing a one-person show in a room above a London pub, and he invited me to have a pint since I was the first person to arrive. 

Oh that's awesome I have heard he was a wonderful person. 

• 3 weeks later...

My husband is probably similar in size to you and we had no issues on the Eurodam last year.  Our verandah chairs had arms and were a bit of a squeeze, but comfortable once in them.  Same with the chairs on the Sea View deck where we spent most of our time.  In the dining room they did note that we would like armless chairs for our table and we sometimes had to wait a bit for them to find and set up the armless chairs but it was much better to wait than to sit in discomfort for the whole meal.  

It was his first cruise and he is now a huge HAL fan and has a list of cruises he wants to go on now.  I hope you have the same experience and really enjoy yourself! 

• Like 2