airline check-in on board ship?

j3000

we're on the Silhouette next month. we won't have any internet package, and no cell-phone (yes, some of us still survive like this!).

Does the ship allow any access to 'free internet', or whatever, for people like us to get online onboard to complete our 24-hour in advance airline check-in?

Its been a while since we've cruised but I do re-call it was do-able before....not sure which cruise line.

Anyone?

Edited by jargey3000

Following because I'm interested in the answers you'll get.

For now, just some notes.  For the major U.S. airlines that ARE NOT Southwest, there's no penalty for not checking in exactly 24 hours beforehand.  It's more a convenience for them that you do so ASAP.  So for those airlines, I'd just check in at the airport.  I've done this several times.

For Southwest, of course, the later the check in, the worse the boarding number you'll get.  And the worse your boarding number, the later you'll board and the worse the seat you'll end up with.  There are a couple of workarounds for this - (1) have someone on land check you in as close to 24 hours as possible, or (2) get EarlyBird, which automatically checks you in 36 hours before, which all but ensures a favorable boarding slot, but costs $15-30.  I favor the latter even when I have Internet access and/or cell data.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

we're on the Silhouette next month. we won't have any internet package, and no cell-phone (yes, some of us still survive like this!).

Does the ship allow any access to 'free internet', or whatever, for people like us to get online onboard to complete our 24-hour in advance airline check-in?

Its been a while since we've cruised but I do re-call it was do-able before....not sure which cruise line.

Anyone?

There is no free Internet. You can buy a one hour package, but that’s fairly expensive. You can try asking the concierge or guest relations to give you a courtesy airline check-in, and that works sometimes but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t.  Or just wait until you get to the airport and check in then.

• Like 1

ya.....I tend not to buy seats when I book flights...cheapskate

I pull the trigger at the 24-hour prior check in....always get seats together ...

I like the old days....when the ticket ALSO included a seat!

(this is Air Canada, BTW....other airlines might be different)🤷‍♂️

yes, I think I did it at the Guest Relations desk last time...

Edited by jargey3000

There is  a concierge on board SIL with a desk in the same area as the Captain's Club host desk, which is on either deck 7 or deck 8 as I remember. He/she will check in for you. Or I believe the I-Lounge will let you check in on line for free or a nominal fee. 

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

For Southwest, of course, the later the check in, the worse the boarding number you'll get.  And the worse your boarding number, the later you'll board and the worse the seat you'll end up with.  There are a couple of workarounds for this - (1) have someone on land check you in as close to 24 hours as possible, or (2) get EarlyBird, which automatically checks you in 36 hours before, which all but ensures a favorable boarding slot, but costs $15-30.  I favor the latter even when I have Internet access and/or cell data.

We will be taking our first Soutwest flight on May 6th.  We booked "Business Select".  Do we still need to check in 24 hours ahead of time to get good seat choices?  

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We will be taking our first Soutwest flight on May 6th.  We booked "Business Select".  Do we still need to check in 24 hours ahead of time to get good seat choices?  

No, you will automatically be put in A1-A15. You still need to check in but it doesn’t matter when you do it. You still complete check in but it doesn’t make any difference when you do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

ya.....I tend not to buy seats when I book flights...cheapskate

I pull the trigger at the 24-hour prior check in....always get seats together ...

I like the old days....when the ticket ALSO included a seat!

(this is Air Canada, BTW....other airlines might be different)🤷‍♂️

It sounds you bought tickets with no reserved seats that you need to check in for to reserve your place in line.  The super ultra cheapo lines here like Spirit and Frontier do something like this.  I like reserving seats in advance because I like knowing where I'm going to sit, but this obviously has a cost that some are not willing to pay.

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

No, you will automatically be put in A1-A15. You still need to check in but it doesn’t matter when you do it. You still complete check in but it doesn’t make any difference when you do it. 

Thank you very much. 

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

It sounds you bought tickets with no reserved seats that you need to check in for to reserve your place in line.  The super ultra cheapo lines here like Spirit and Frontier do something like this.  I like reserving seats in advance because I like knowing where I'm going to sit, but this obviously has a cost that some are not willing to pay.

Southwest does not do seat reservations.  They assign passengers to seats based on their status and check in times. Apparently "Business Select" gets you first in line for boarding.  

Like you, I also prefer to have an assigned seat but our choices were to fly out of San Jose at 1 PM on Southwest or out of Los Angeles at 5 PM on United and we wanted the earlier flight. 

• Like 1