Holland America charging for distilled water

atitansfan

Getting ready to book Cruise on HA and saw email from HA that need to advance buy distilled water for my CPAP use

Is this really true??  Many time cruiser and this is first encounter with this requirement.  All other lines have provided complementary via stateroom attendant. If correct this is extremely penny ante for cruise costings Thousands$. Have I missed something?

I really don’t have a dog in this fight but if you go to your local grocery store you will pay for the water.  If you have drinks on board your ship you will have to pay.   I don’t understand what the issue is.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atitansfan said:

Is price same on ship versus purchased in advance? Supply readily available on most ships?

My understanding is that it is more expensive if purchased on the ship.  But I've only purchased ahead of time, so can't be sure it is a fact.

And it seems to be available on the ship, unless the supply doesn't reach the ship!  That happened on our New England cruise last year, and it was 3-4 days before we got to a port where the ship was resupplied with the distilled water.

Edited by fusion927
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atitansfan said:

Issue is one of competitive offering versus other lines plus hassle

Isn't it also an issue of who pays/subsidizes special need services required by individual passengers?

• Like 6

I had 6 suites booked on MSC and they wanted to charge me for distilled water - so I asked where in the airport I would go to buy as I could not carry it on the plane and then I pointed out that we had so many suites booked and they brought it :free"  each day  - about a quart each day - this time on HAL we are  3 rooms and 18 days on  board so I wil pay the $3.00 a gallon  - first time I have had to pay though 

3 hours ago, 689florence said:

I had 6 suites booked on MSC and they wanted to charge me for distilled water - so I asked where in the airport I would go to buy as I could not carry it on the plane and then I pointed out that we had so many suites booked and they brought it :free"  each day  - about a quart each day - this time on HAL we are  3 rooms and 18 days on  board so I wil pay the $3.00 a gallon  - first time I have had to pay though 

Orde in advance and it will save you $ 0,05 because the price is $ 2,95  🤑

They charged me $6 on the Westerdam last week....the form you are supposed to have filled out says $2.95 (in a footnote) so that's the most you should pay.  After some words and a request to see the manager of guest services (since I hadn't even known there was a form), they removed the charge.  During the 14 day cruise, I only used about a pint. 

11 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Orde in advance and it will save you $ 0,05 because the price is $ 2,95  🤑

maybe on some ships....not the westerdam where they seem to want to charge $6.

Edited by ghstudio

11 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

maybe on some ships....not the westerdam where they seem to want to charge $6.

Must be because ordered on board. I order in advance in our account/booking and never had a difference in price on different HAL ships.

On a 34-day cruise on Noordam, I ordered distilled water ahead of time for $2.95.  It was delivered to my room on the first day.  I ran out and had to reorder later in the cruise.  It was also promptly delivered to my room for $2.95.

This is not the first thread on this subject, there has been at least one or two others in the past few weeks. I cannot believe how upset some are over having to pay $2.95 or more for a gallon of distilled water, do you get it free at home? You may need it for a medical device but why expect that HAL should supply it for free? On past HAL cruises I had to pay for premium bottled water which I need to live and relieve my thirst, but I never complained that HAL charged me for them.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 7