Flying in day of cruise….any recommendations?

DizNaddy

I have a cruise scheduled on the Carnival Jubilee on January 27, 2024. I am looking at booking a non-stop flight that is scheduled to arrive at Houston International (IAH) at 11:00 am on January 27th. Do you think I will be able to make it to the cruise terminal in Galveston on time? I was trying to save a little money by not arriving a day early and having to get a hotel. Trying to save money for excursions. Is this doable or should I take the safe option and arriving a day early. Carnival Fly2Fun has this day of arrival flight listed so they must think it’s possible to arrive at the terminal on time (of course with no delays). It will be a Saturday so I don’t know how that affects Houston traffic to Galveston. Thanks 

It’s doable, but it’s a bad idea. One little delay and, not only is your vacation ruined, but the money you saved by not flying in the day prior will pale in comparison to the money you will spend trying to catch up with the ship at the next port of call (think international flights, hotels, additional transportation etc, assuming that you have a passport). 

Even if you land on time, keep in mind that IAH is a good 60 miles from the port of Galveston, so take traffic, possible delays due to accidents, etc into consideration. 

Do yourself a huge favor and set some money aside to fly in the night before, not only for the peace of mind, but it will also allow you the begin your cruise rested and relaxed. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

I can make (and have) that drive 9 out of 10 days in 90 minutes or less. The traffic on a January Saturday mid-morning is not a factor. I also use the Beltway 8 system around the east side, across the ship channel bridge and then on to I-45. The most traffic has been restricted so far this year is down to two lanes. 

I spend time at UTMB hospital for my job, and often have someone with me that flies in to IAH. I have little at stake. The rub is that one time. Even in January cruises can be a little expensive, so you can guess my answer. 

Fly in the evening before, get south of downtown and pick a hotel in the League City, Webster or Texas City area. Arrange for transportation early the next morning and drop your luggage off, walk across the street to The Strand and enjoy your vacation. If you see two gray-faced golden retrievers walking please stop their owners. We will be glad to have a cup of coffee with you. 

See You At Sea.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

I urge you to reconsider. Take a look. I promise it’s worth a read. Start at post 47 if you want to skip to the drama. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2920476-solstice-mexican-riviera-march-4th-11thfinallylet-the-sagaahem-i-mean-live-review-begin/#comment-64932364

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Advise from  someone who lives in Galveston:

*Fly into Hobby, a lot easier.  It will take you an hour just to get out of IAH.  Hourly flights to most CA cities to Hobby.

*Take an uber from Hobby to port. Go outside baggage claim, Uber area in parking lot is "5"

*Go a day earlier.  Splurge and get a room at Tremont.  Walk for some nice seafood or Italian and listen to a great jazz combo at Tremont.  Will cost but it is worth it on vacation.

*Walk over to cruise terminal.  If going on RCL, hotel shuttle or Uber to Terminal

Edited by MrMan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrMan said:

Advise from  someone who lives in Galveston:

*Fly into Hobby, a lot easier.  It will take you an hour just to get out of IAH.  Hourly flights to most CA cities to Hobby.

*Take an uber from Hobby to port. Go outside baggage claim, Uber area in parking lot is "5"

*Go a day earlier.  Splurge and get a room at Tremont.  Walk for some nice seafood or Italian and listen to a great jazz combo at Tremont.  Will cost but it is worth it on vacation.

*Walk over to cruise terminal.  If going on RCL, hotel shuttle or Uber to Terminal

Excellent advice.

I can catch nonstop/direct flights from my local airport to Bush but I would have to drive over 100 miles to catch a flight to hobby.

On 4/2/2023 at 4:17 PM, BallFour4 said:

I can make (and have) that drive 9 out of 10 days in 90 minutes or less. The traffic on a January Saturday mid-morning is not a factor. I also use the Beltway 8 system around the east side, across the ship channel bridge and then on to I-45. The most traffic has been restricted so far this year is down to two lanes. 

I spend time at UTMB hospital for my job, and often have someone with me that flies in to IAH. I have little at stake. The rub is that one time. Even in January cruises can be a little expensive, so you can guess my answer. 

Fly in the evening before, get south of downtown and pick a hotel in the League City, Webster or Texas City area. Arrange for transportation early the next morning and drop your luggage off, walk across the street to The Strand and enjoy your vacation. If you see two gray-faced golden retrievers walking please stop their owners. We will be glad to have a cup of coffee with you. 

See You At Sea.

On 4/2/2023 at 4:17 PM, BallFour4 said:

. Ditto, don’t take a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to "ditto" everyone else's suggestion . . . don't, please don't.   With the crazy schedule changes happening with airlines lately, we would never chance it - especially during the winter.  Airline schedules can get backed-up and cancelled even when your airport is clear b/c airplanes coming from other destinations can affect the whole chain of arrival/departure schedules.  We live in the far north Texas area and drive into Galveston for cruises and we ALWAYS arrive in the early evening the night before, opting to stay at a hotel for ease of mind and convenience.  The added hotel expense is simply part of our budgeting for cruising.  We would NEVER attempt to drive in the day we are sailing, let alone leave it up to an airline to get us there on-time the same day.  Never, not even with quality travel insurance because it is simply not worth the anxiety and possibility of losing out on a relaxing vacation and well-deserved cruise.

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1