Measuring COVID on board - NSW Health levels

On 4/1/2023 at 3:19 PM, Auscruisefam said:

There are no Covid measures for cruises that actually make sense or prevent anything, they are only there to make people think someone is doing something. The whole thing is so ridiculous we need to just move on already.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Until we "move on" as you say, I will not be cruising nor going on any organised tours. I will fly to places and stay in hotels instead.Ā 

On 4/3/2023 at 1:55 PM, jland said:

Ā If people are so frighten of covidĀ 

Ā 

I am not frightened of Covid - I am frightened of the continuing administrative consequences of getting Covid on a cruiseship.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

We embarked the Coral Princess on Sunday for the round trip Australia cruise. Ā We were notified in advance that all had to be masked at embarkation. Ā We were all asked to provide written proof of our vaccinations and attest to our submitted rapid antigen test results. Ā My sister and brother in law mistakenly took their tests 12 hours or so too early. Ā The app accepted them but it was flagged at check in and they were administered tests on site. Ā All handled very efficiently and kindly.

Ā 

It wasnā€™t until we were in our cabins that we found out - via a letter from the captain - that masks were required everywhere inside except when eating or drinking, and always upon embarking and disembarking, on Princess transportation, and inside when on Princess excursions. Ā It my totally unscientific survey on Dolphin deck starboard side when walking the entire length of the corridor (our cabin is far aft) Iā€™ve only seen 1 small table outside a cabin.

Ā 

All six people in our party have commented on how pleasantly surprised we have been at the high level of full compliance (wearing the mask correctly). Ā 
Ā 

While it would have been nice for mask wearing not to be a necessity, it hasnā€™t diminished our enjoyment of this bucket list visit one iota. Ā We are having a grand time, loving the cruise, this beautiful country, and itā€™s inhabitants.

Great to hear you are enjoying the cruise despite having to wear masks. We did that cruise last year and loved it, even though I caught Covid onboard and had to isolate. Princess looked after me very well.

Ā 

I think it's smart for Princess to require masks right from the start of such a long cruise. It wasn't required on our cruise until later on, after I caught Covid. We did wear masks most of the time but were vulnerable in some circumstances because others weren't wearing them even when they were coughing heavily.Ā 

Ā 

I hope you continue to enjoy your Round Australia cruise, it's one of the best cruises we have in this region and Coral Princess is the perfect ship to do it on. Have a cocktail for me in the Good Spirits Bar! šŸ˜Š

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I am not frightened of Covid - I am frightened of the continuing administrative consequences of getting Covid on a cruiseship.Ā 

What continuing administrative consequences? I didn't have any. No medical costs so no insurance claim needed. Fare automatically refunded as an FCC for every day I had to isolate. Excellent care, great meals delivered to our cabin (I didn't miss out on my favourite formal night dishes), drinks delivered on demand. The best part was that they managed to deliver perfect piping hot single espressos for Rolf - if I didn't know better I'd swear they had an expresso machine right outside our cabin! šŸ¤£

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Until we "move on" as you say, I will not be cruising nor going on any organised tours. I will fly to places and stay in hotels instead.Ā 

I caught Covid either on a plane or in a hotel. Not a cruise in sight.Ā 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As the most recent covid thread mentioning protocols, this is as good as any.

Ā 

Until a few days ago, we were booked on Splendor at the end of July. As tempting as Grinchmas in July sounded, we decided to cancel the cruise in lieu of better itineraries down the track.Ā 

Ā 

I received an email from Carnival last week around attesting of vaxx status. From their email, it looks like the current protocols for vaccination and pre-embark testing are going to continue until at least the end of August, or at least Carnival Australia has cleared the way for that possibility.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, arxcards said:

As the most recent covid thread mentioning protocols, this is as good as any.

Ā 

Until a few days ago, we were booked on Splendor at the end of July. As tempting as Grinchmas in July sounded, we decided to cancel the cruise in lieu of better itineraries down the track.Ā 

Ā 

I received an email from Carnival last week around attesting of vaxx status. From their email, it looks like the current protocols for vaccination and pre-embark testing are going to continue until at least the end of August, or at least Carnival Australia has cleared the way for that possibility.

I and my adult son are on Splendor the first week of July. We got emails for us to specify vax status and also info on RAT before boarding etc, seems to be the same as what we had last year on Princess,Ā 

DH and I are on Silversea Muse in Dec out of Auckland - no updates yet on whether RAT needed. As we have all had out 5th shots we should be fine.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 6:36 AM, arxcards said:

Do you consider catching the virus counting as a booster? After all, catching rona on Majestic at the end of October, I am not advised to get another booster till 6 months after having it. By the time I am eligible, it will be nearly a year since my last boost.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

re the above question - yes, it would count as immunity and not be required by any organisation requiring up to date vaccination.

Ā 

This is area I work in - and places like hospitals and nursing homes that require staff to be vaccinated give exemptions for 6 months following infection - as you will have natural immunity in that time.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've had five covid shots and the flu shot a couple of weeks ago. Have all extremities crossed that I will remain virus free on my upcoming cruise. I've managed to get this far without ever catching covid (despite working in retail) so I guess I have a fair chance of remaining healthy. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Wife and I both got covid in Jan 2022 and both were very ill.

At one point my wife wanted to call an ambulance as I was very unwell and struggling to breathe.

So when we went on our cruise in march we were very wary about the covid situation.

We have both had 4 shots now and just had our regular flu vax last week in preparation for the next cruise in a few weeks time.

Sadly covid is here in everyday life but you need to get on with life so we just take as many precautions as we can so we will keep on cruising.

Daz

Exactly right, Daz. I forgot to mention in my previous post that hubby caught covid about a month ago (at least his timing was impeccable and not right before our cruise!). From what I have heard, his was a mild case (he's vaccinated, but not to my extent) though being of the male persuasion intimated that he was very ill indeed (worse than the dreaded man flu). Anyway, the point is we had covid in the house and I escaped unscathed (and have the RAT tests to prove it!šŸ˜„). So, I'm taking every precaution and just getting on with life and I am definitely not nervous about cruising.