Another restaruant question

pavementends

Kaiseki: We thought it was interesting to try once. But once was enough.

Dinner reservations: As soon as you board the ship, go and line up to talk to the restaurant manager. He is usually at a desk in the main reception area. Often restaurants have reservations that are not available online. Your butler can help with reservations too, but he/she won't have time to do this until much later. So, you'll have better luck dealing with it immediately yourself.

• Like 2

I'm with Alithecat   -  ok to try once but our experience didn't whet the appetite for more.  I thought that , except for the offer of sake with dinner and a lot more soy sauce, the flavors and ingredients were similar to offerings at Atlantide.

• Like 1

Just now, A Tucson Guy said:

We just didn't enjoy Kaiseki as much as the other restaurants so we don't book it anymore. I do like the sushi at lunch. To us, Kaiseki was not awful, just not great.

Whereas we loved it and ate there 4 nights out of 10. It's a good job we're all different.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

We enjoyed our lunch there very much. It was more of an appetizer though, so we went to the grill for dessert burgers an hour or two later.

I see a theme here, with the dessert steak from an earlier post.  "Top o' the food chain to you both!"

• Haha 1

We didn’t enjoy Kaiseki at night as we didn’t think it measured up to Japanese standards. And we have been to Japan more than 50 times.

Lunch however is our favourite at Kaiseki. Last cruise about 80% of the time it was where we had lunch.

I cant say I've tried too much Japanese food before. I'm pretty fussy and not keen on anything raw. However, I tried lunch on the Muse in 2017, Dawn last month at lunch and thought it was OK. I did try in the evening on this trip and enjoyed it. We are on the Muse in 3 weeks and looking forward to trying some food in Osaka and Tokyo and have rebooked the Japanese on the Muse for this cruise, so its a thumbs up from me.

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We enjoyed our lunch there very much. It was more of an appetizer though, so we went to the grill for dessert burgers an hour or two later.

They kept insisting we had more... and if they had their way, would have become Mr Creosote! 🤣 

Edited by les37b
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, les37b said:

They kept insisting we had more... and if they had their way, would have become Mr Creosote! 🤣 

Haha! I didn't know that was his name but I was pretty sure that's who you meant!

• Like 1

We did Kaiseki for dinner on Dawn last summer.  I’ve also had many meals in Japan and didn’t find the meal particularly authentic and definitely not memorable in terms of cuisine.  It was ok but IMO not worth the surcharge at all. Lunch was good, but limited menu.  We didn’t do either meal on Moon a few weeks ago. 

Kaiseki is usually fully booked for dinner and yet always looks at least half-empty. My personal view is that SS is missing an opportunity with this restaurant. But if they’re fully booked and raking in the surcharge, I guess they’re not going to change.  

• Like 3

Thanks alithecat, I will give the restaurant manager a try on boarding.

Many apologies to all for not spelling restaurant correctly.

As some have enjoyed it, I will give Kaiseki a try for dinner. It is the only extra-cost thing I expect to have during my cruise.

We recently sailed on the Moon trans-Atlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon. Before boarding, we made 3 reservations for dinner at Kaiseki.  After dining there on the first night, we cancelled the remaining 2 reservations. It was not bad, but just not good enough for the extra $40 per person, especially given the quality of the other restaurants.

• Like 1

Dining is so very subjective-only you can judge if the upcharge is worth it to you.

We were on the TA and did Kaiseki twice for dinner and 3 times for lunch.
For us it was completely worth the upcharge to be in a smaller, quieter venue with great service at dinner, but we are not Atlantide fans. I recognize that is not a popular or typical opinion.
It is not authentic Japanese, but we did not expect that.

My husband did the Omikase one night and a la carte the second. The sushi and sashimi was lovely at lunch and the servers knowledgeable and delightful.

Regarding Silvernote-we waitlisted and were notified upon boarding that we got our requested reservation. 

The one thing I'd recommend re Kaiseki is to check out the dinner menu before you show up.  If you're expecting to walk into an upscale version of your local Japanese restaurant (lots of sushi/sashimi, tempura, teppanyaki, etc.) or an Imu Ima / Nobu equivalent, you're going to be at least surprised, if not disappointed.  Not saying the food isn't tasty, it's just a bit eclectic and the options somewhat limited.

If the dinner menu appeals to you, then go for it and enjoy!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ggo85 said:

The one thing I'd recommend re Kaiseki is to check out the dinner menu before you show up.  If you're expecting to walk into an upscale version of your local Japanese restaurant (lots of sushi/sashimi, tempura, teppanyaki, etc.) or an Imu Ima / Nobu equivalent, you're going to be at least surprised, if not disappointed.  Not saying the food isn't tasty, it's just a bit eclectic and the options somewhat limited.

If the dinner menu appeals to you, then go for it and enjoy!  

I think that is good advice as what people may enjoy from a Japanese restaurant will vary based on prior experience. We were spoiled by Crystal’s Nobu and therefore disappointed by Silversea’s Kaiseki.