Post Cruise Survey re MDR

54 minutes ago, melbur said:

Just received my survey for last week's Jewel cruise and there is a now a section to video record your thoughts about the MDR food and service.  

That’s great, can leave a 2 minute detailed review, instead of typing and retyping my thoughts

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

OK, but will anyone actually watch and act on those video reviews?  Or will they mostly analyze the numerical scores?

It popped up right after I gave the food a bad rating, so I'm guessing it depends on the score. Why would they bother doing it at all if they were getting great reviews about the new menus?

6 minutes ago, melbur said:

It popped up right after I gave the food a bad rating, so I'm guessing it depends on the score. Why would they bother doing it at all if they were getting great reviews about the new menus?

Thanks for the additional information.  
I was thinking every survey could leave a video commentary, which would be overwhelming.

• Like 1

I recently sent an email directly to RCCL regarding the dining problems I experienced on 5 different ships.  I didn't want my comments to go just to the ship's management, but to corporate.

• Like 2

A month ago, we took an NCL Panama Canal cruise.  When we dined in the MDR or the specialty restaurants, the very first thing the waiters asked after introduction was:  Does anyone have any allergies?

Off topic here:  Food in NCL MDR was a bit better than RCL.  Specialty dining was much better for the most part.  Ocean Blue wasn’t that good and La Cucina was OK.  Cagney’s was better than chops.  Le Bistro was the highlight.  Waiters even do a formal reveal of the entree and the food was exceptional.

Edited by ILCTCRUISER
  • Thanks 1

IYO

the best part of food reviews. 

I’m thinking the video watching sessions might be great comedy for a certain level of corporate staff. And the action of leaving a video review might appease some cruisers. 

but of course, that’s my opinion. 

• Like 1

I am maybe not the best judge as I am a fairly plain cook, but we had good and hot food on the ship when we were on Radiance 1/30/2023 with a few exception.  In some cases, it was food just not to a persons taste and the waiter asked if the person wanted something else instead.  Every night Frances would go around asking to make sure everything was ok.  This was in the MDR.  Another thing that happened was in the windjammer.  The head lettuce that was out on the salad buffet was turning brown and watery.  I was near an officer, and another staff member.  I quietly mentioned the problem, and handed off my plate and said I would not eat it.  The officer immediately went to one of the chefs, and the chef went to the salad bar, checked, removed the bowl and had it replaced. How long it sat before I got there I don’t know, I do know it was not super busy and we were not there at the beginning of service.  We were not displeased with the new menu.  We did go to Sambas Grill one if the nights the menu duplicated as this was a 10 night cruise.  It was very good and again great staff.  Our waiter had just gotten back on board ship recently, but was not new to Royal.  Maybe that was the difference.  Hope you have better luck next time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pcur said:

I recently sent an email directly to RCCL regarding the dining problems I experienced on 5 different ships.  I didn't want my comments to go just to the ship's management, but to corporate.

The only problem is that I am not sure they are reading them.  Still waiting for responses to 3 emails from 6 months ago.

food is subjective, videos with poor quality of food, or a rude waiter might be objective.  Folks naturally complain about change, so I can see that RCCL might opt for videos to attempt to validate the changes in the dining room.  THis seems too new to know what effects video feedback will have. If folks want to complain, here is another venue to do so. 

1 hour ago, nimbex1970 said:

food is subjective, videos with poor quality of food, or a rude waiter might be objective.  Folks naturally complain about change, so I can see that RCCL might opt for videos to attempt to validate the changes in the dining room.  THis seems too new to know what effects video feedback will have. If folks want to complain, here is another venue to do so. 

If I lined 5 people up and had them see and taste what was supposed to be "Mushroom Risotto with Snow Peas", and they tasted cold lumpy risotto with mushrooms, with cold pea soup glopped on top, 5 of them would not eat it and say it was horrible. Guaranteed.

This is a statement of fact, not a complaint.

I just returned from Anthem and did a video survey today.  I had given high marks for food and service, so I do not think the score you give has anything to do with the video.  Also, the video is optional.  We were a multi-generational family of 8.  We all enjoyed the food and seemed to find enough choices available to satisfy each person, including the 12 and 13 year old who both enjoyed escargot on 2 evenings.  My personal feeling is that people who complain about the food offerings and service provided on a cruise ship must have an amazing home life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Yes, they probably would not eat it and could tell the waiter they would like something else, which he would quickly bring to them.   Not looking for a fight, here, pcur.  I do enjoy much of the information that you offer.

Food fight. 

I just got off Jewel the 26th.   Food was great and I said so in the comments.  Only problem was Izumi actually.   They didn't have the dessert I ordered and  brought me something different without asking, then got pretty pissy when I rejected it and requested something else.   But the MDR food was great.  Only did one lunch and one dinner at specialty and would not bother in the future.