Standard or plus

Lorenky1

On 4/3/2023 at 5:33 AM, Coral said:

Does this really surprise you? I don't plan on using either of those features if I get the Plus package in the future. I don't remember people saying "I wish they would create these outrageous desserts" or "I wish they would now charge for fitness classes". They probably did charge for a few previously. Just not something people seemed thrilled about - I think most would have preferred the $50 Plus package with out these 2 features.

I do think cre8tiv1’s post was tongue in cheek, but I certainly agree that most (if not all!) would have preferred the $50 Plus package without those two features!  😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know it is not an option, but it is not "$50 a day" or even "$60 a day" that is the real issue for me. It is that it is Every Day!  I can deal with $60 a day, but as with everything else, it adds up.  My next 2 cruises are at least 14 days long.  To pay $60 a day for (on average) 15 days for 2 people costs $1800. Granted that some of that I would have paid anyway, but if the liqueur  portion alone is over $950, then I have to pass.  I would not otherwise buy that much in liqueur in a year, so I could not justify that for the cruise. 

Likewise, just the soft drink package these days is over $18 a day (Every Day!).  I would not pay that much in a week!  They have me trapped, but they do have tea bags and hot water, so I can find substitutes.  As I dont need the sugar or the caffeine, that package is not cost effective For ME!  It is for others, though!

Another poster mentioned Buttered Pecan I think.... That tempts me, but not to the tune of $950!

I agree that on short trips, it would be easier, and at $40 it made a lot more sense, even if/when/though the internet service is unreliable.  At $60 a day, Each, and Every Day, the liqueur portion isnt something I can do.

I can not do the exercises that would be required to burn those additional, hollow calories off, and I already have too much Bulk Tonnage to add more! 

BUT, that is what is best for ME!  You do YOU!  There are very sound reasons others have given that clearly make the package worthwhile for many others!  That is the beauty of it! It is an option that is available, and it is a bargain for some, but not for others! 

Fortunately, you have the first 2 days of the cruise to add it, so you can see what you think your on board desires may be!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sirclean said:

I know it is not an option, but it is not "$50 a day" or even "$60 a day" that is the real issue for me. It is that it is Every Day!  I can deal with $60 a day, but as with everything else, it adds up.  My next 2 cruises are at least 14 days long.  To pay $60 a day for (on average) 15 days for 2 people costs $1800. Granted that some of that I would have paid anyway, but if the liqueur  portion alone is over $950, then I have to pass.  I would not otherwise buy that much in liqueur in a year, so I could not justify that for the cruise. 

Likewise, just the soft drink package these days is over $18 a day (Every Day!).  I would not pay that much in a week!  They have me trapped, but they do have tea bags and hot water, so I can find substitutes.  As I dont need the sugar or the caffeine, that package is not cost effective For ME!  It is for others, though!

Another poster mentioned Buttered Pecan I think.... That tempts me, but not to the tune of $950!

I agree that on short trips, it would be easier, and at $40 it made a lot more sense, even if/when/though the internet service is unreliable.  At $60 a day, Each, and Every Day, the liqueur portion isnt something I can do.

I can not do the exercises that would be required to burn those additional, hollow calories off, and I already have too much Bulk Tonnage to add more! 

BUT, that is what is best for ME!  You do YOU!  There are very sound reasons others have given that clearly make the package worthwhile for many others!  That is the beauty of it! It is an option that is available, and it is a bargain for some, but not for others! 

Fortunately, you have the first 2 days of the cruise to add it, so you can see what you think your on board desires may be!

I really have to agree with everything you say. 

It get to the point of being ridiculous to spend that much money everyday just because your on a cruise. I could drink & eat they much everyday if I chose to. 😉

33 minutes ago, sirclean said:

It is very simple if you don’t drink then this package is not for you. If you do drink then it saves you a ton. On a cruise we will average 8-10 drinks a day plus a few coffee drinks and waters daily. Yes this saves us a ton

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is very simple if you don’t drink then this package is not for you. If you do drink then it saves you a ton. On a cruise we will average 8-10 drinks a day plus a few coffee drinks and waters daily. Yes this saves us a ton

Us too. We normally drink around six bottles (or possibly more, but who's counting!) of wine a week. No way that I am going to cut down when I am on a cruise !

If we didn't have the Plus package I would be bankrupt half way through the cruise !

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

I didn't read all the replies.  It drives me crazy to see internet math.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 5 different solutions to the same math problem in this thread!  🤣  Forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already been said....My suggestion is to purchase the standard fare.  As of Feb. 2023 Princess started allowing passengers to purchase the Plus & Premier packages as on Day 1 onboard the ship.  If you purchase onboard, you can use any OBC towards the upgrade and your insurance premium won't increase.  Even if you don't have any OBC to use, you'll get to keep the $1200 in your pocket a few months longer since it won't be due with your final payment. You'll also have additional time to research the cost of your preferred beverages and do your own math.

As for me, I have a 14 day cruise coming up in June.  The Plus package will add another $1680 for the two of us!  I'm not sure I can justify the splurge since I'm not a huge drinker.  I don't include wifi in my math, because there have been too many posts about slow/non-existence internet at sea.  My cell phones will work in the ports, so I'll keep in touch with family that way.  I would be very upset if I paid $420 for internet for the two of us and it didn't work, so I'm not including it as a package perk.  If someone on a similar itinerary in May posts that the Internet is great on the Sky Princess, I'll will reevaluate.  If I were on a shorter cruise, I'd be more likely to upgrade as a convenience to not have to keep track of my drinks, etc. 

I think I would make more towards my discount or OBC from my TA if I paid everything up front at final payment then I would make by not ordering the plus package and paying for it on board.

But as usual, you do you and I'll do me.

24 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I think I would make more towards my discount or OBC from my TA if I paid everything up front at final payment then I would make by not ordering the plus package and paying for it on board.

Hearing things like this is why I wish we could share TA names on these boards!  If I could earn a discount and/or onboard credit by purchasing the fare in advance, my position might change.  I’ve never had any luck saving a lot by using a TA on a cruise.  I tried to use the same TA I used to plan my wedding/ anniversary years ago, but she stopped selling cruises.  I believe the COVID fallout was the last straw for her!  I also tried big box, online, and insurance membership perk.  I either saw no savings or hourly agents that may or may not know what they’re talking about.  Maybe I’m not seeing any real perks because I’m looking at lower end fares….ocean view or balconies?   Do you mind sharing what type cabins you usually book?

6 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Hearing things like this is why I wish we could share TA names on these boards! 

This would be a great sharing perk for Cruise Critic Members.  With technology, your TA could be across the continent.  

I, too, would appreciate having a back up.  I have a great TA but she runs a small business and struggling to survive the pandemic.

Interesting readings. We  have not been cruising, let alone traveling, other than a few hours away, in over 5 years. Last scheduled cruise in 2019 was cancelled 2 days before departure. We are now going on 12 day So. Carib cruise in Oct, Our long time T/A put a fabulous package together for us. Not only did she get us a mid-ship mini-suite cabin on Aloha deck at balcony cost, she included Premier Plus as a free perk. That is $1440 perk. While the fitness classes and the premium deserts is joke, and I would rather have OBC, free is free. lol

1 hour ago, TN-Mountains said:

Hearing things like this is why I wish we could share TA names on these boards!  If I could earn a discount and/or onboard credit by purchasing the fare in advance, my position might change.  I’ve never had any luck saving a lot by using a TA on a cruise.  I tried to use the same TA I used to plan my wedding/ anniversary years ago, but she stopped selling cruises.  I believe the COVID fallout was the last straw for her!  I also tried big box, online, and insurance membership perk.  I either saw no savings or hourly agents that may or may not know what they’re talking about.  Maybe I’m not seeing any real perks because I’m looking at lower end fares….ocean view or balconies?   Do you mind sharing what type cabins you usually book?

90% of the time, an inside.  I usually prefer a discount instead of OBC.  I had a TA that I used to give all of my business to, but he put the screws to me once and now I only give him my Carnival business because of his great rates with them.

My recently booked Princess cruise which is 14 days in August of 2024 gained me  50 in OBC and just over 450 discount on 4900 including taxes.  So saving just over 10% combined with saving another 10% with AARP gift cards is nice.

Just filled out a post cruise survey.  They asked for my recommendations and this is what I suggested.

1.  Discount the Plus Beverage Package for Elite members.  Shouldn't we be "entitled" to the 50% off Medallion Net pricing?  They do not take that in to consideration.  Lowering it by a $7.50 a day would be a great incentive for Platinum or Elite guests.

2.  Offer a package without the desserts and gym classes.  Take $10 off a day if we don't want those "fabulous" additives.

3.  Offer a lower price package for non/light drinkers.  I shouldn't have to pay the same for my "2" drinks as someone who imbibes on 15.

By the way.  Those reserved seats for Premium Package for Production shows...What a joke.  On the Diamond Princess, there were 2 "guards" and three rows with chair sleeves.  NO ONE showed up for the first show.  They removed the sleeves about 6:55 PM.  The theater was never full for the first show.

IMG_2466.jpg.thumb.jpg.01ef5eb80d132984bf9b2ac098b8a885.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a no brainer for us, we got the premier package for the same price as the plus package was.(special offer at time of booking) This is our first cruise but our normal holiday usually consists of lazing by the pool and having a few drinks then at night eating out with wine then perhaps a few cocktails. Probably wont use the fitness classes but i would imagine the alcohol alone will cover the cost of package and we also get the 2 nights speciality dining, photo package etc.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

90% of the time, an inside.  I usually prefer a discount instead of OBC.  I had a TA that I used to give all of my business to, but he put the screws to me once and now I only give him my Carnival business because of his great rates with them.

My recently booked Princess cruise which is 14 days in August of 2024 gained me  50 in OBC and just over 450 discount on 4900 including taxes.  So saving just over 10% combined with saving another 10% with AARP gift cards is nice.

That is decent savings.  Was that off the brochure price or the price you could book direct through Princess?  I started to get AARP gift cards to save on my cruise, but given the uncertainties in travel these days I chose to pay cash to keep things simple in case the trip is canceled.  (I don't want to worry about needing to spend a gift card.)  I need to check the terms of AARP gift cards.  If I can use them onboard or to purchase OBC, I'll grab a couple a few weeks prior to the cruise.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

3.  Offer a lower price package for non/light drinkers.  I shouldn't have to pay the same for my "2" drinks as someone who imbibes on 15.

I certainly would not hold my breath waiting for this to possibly happen.  No cruise line that offers a drink package has a two tiered system depending upon how much you indulge.  It's a take it or leave it proposition. 

I can do with or without wifi.  After factoring out the gratuities, 44 per day for just the drinks package is cheaper than what you can get on Celebrity, Carnival, Royal and NCL.

4 hours ago, Neilyboy64 said:

It's a no brainer for us, we got the premier package for the same price as the plus package was.(special offer at time of booking)

Was this done directly through Princess or through an outside travel agency?  Also, when was your sailing booked and when are you sailing?

I will have to infer that it was from an outside agency that gave you the free upgrade in lieu of OBC or a discount.  If it was from Princess, we would have gotten promotional emails about it.

3 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

That is decent savings.  Was that off the brochure price or the price you could book direct through Princess?  I started to get AARP gift cards to save on my cruise, but given the uncertainties in travel these days I chose to pay cash to keep things simple in case the trip is canceled.  (I don't want to worry about needing to spend a gift card.)  I need to check the terms of AARP gift cards.  If I can use them onboard or to purchase OBC, I'll grab a couple a few weeks prior to the cruise.

The booking was directly through Princess and then I transferred the booking to my travel agent.  You can use your gift cards for any purchases on board including gratuities if you don't have the plus package.   You can also use them for any purchases before you sail such as excursions or specialty dining.

16 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Was this done directly through Princess or through an outside travel agency?  Also, when was your sailing booked and when are you sailing?

I will have to infer that it was from an outside agency that gave you the free upgrade in lieu of OBC or a discount.  If it was from Princess, we would have gotten promotional emails about it.

Princess had promos for Educators and Military at one time. My agent said there has been targeted promos to some of her well traveled Elite guests also. Any of these promos work if you book direct through Princess or with a TA.

16 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you purchase travel insurance, the additional amount paid in premium, might almost offset discount savings with the higher cruise fare.  In my case, I have outside annual TI policy (for medical and other issues while traveling) and not looking for CFAR or cancel-before-cruise, so I would save more with my TA discount level than paying full price on board.

4 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

AARP Rewards is just a seller agent for the Princess GC's.  They have the same T&C as if you bought them directly from the Princess supplier.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It was booked mid Febuary through *****.co.uk, it's for July 29th Med cruise on Enchanted Princess. I've no idea if it was the agent or Princess running the promo but i do remember that it was a limited time deal. I was dithering between this cruise or an MSC one and when i seen the promo that help me decide !

P.S just checked booking it was the love boat sale.

Edited by Neilyboy64
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If you purchase travel insurance, the additional amount paid in premium, might almost offset discount savings with the higher cruise fare.  In my case, I have outside annual TI policy (for medical and other issues while traveling) and not looking for CFAR or cancel-before-cruise, so I would save more with my TA discount level than paying full price on board.

We also have an annual medical policy, so we don't have individual CFAR or similar per cruise policies.