Difference between suites?

fudge

Hallo.

I need some advise please regarding suites on the Silver Moon?  I have searched but cannot see much difference between a Classic Veranda suite and a Superior Veranda suite? They appear to be the same size and almost the same decks, the Superior suite is 500 sterling cheaper?

Thank you for any advise.

The difference between Classic and Veranda Suites is location.  Supposedly Veranda Suites are in the more desirable midships location.  Not sure about a Superior being less expensive than a Classic.  I looked at a couple of cruises and the Superior was always more expensive.  If there is a cruise priced that way I’d guess either the Superiors are not selling well for a particular cruise or there is a mistake in the fare posting.   

24 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

The difference between Classic and Veranda Suites is location.  Supposedly Veranda Suites are in the more desirable midships location.  Not sure about a Superior being less expensive than a Classic.  I looked at a couple of cruises and the Superior was always more expensive.  If there is a cruise priced that way I’d guess either the Superiors are not selling well for a particular cruise or there is a mistake in the fare posting.   

SUPERIOR VERANDA SUITE

• Deck 7, 8, 9 of 11
  • Suite size 36 sq.m. including veranda
  • Veranda
DOOR-TO-DOOR FROM
€5,200€4,500
PRICES ARE PER GUEST

Just now, fudge said:

SUPERIOR VERANDA SUITE

• Deck 7, 8, 9 of 11
  • Veranda
DOOR-TO-DOOR FROM
€5,200€4,500
PRICES ARE PER GUEST

DELUXE VERANDA SUITE

• Deck 6, 7, 8 of 11
  • Veranda
DOOR-TO-DOOR FROM
€5,400€5,000
PRICES ARE PER GUEST

Just now, fudge said:

DELUXE VERANDA SUITE

• Deck 6, 7, 8 of 11
  • Veranda
DOOR-TO-DOOR FROM
€5,400€5,000
PRICES ARE PER GUEST

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. You may be right, perhaps those suites are not sold out yet?

1 hour ago, fudge said:

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. You may be right, perhaps those suites are not sold out yet?

Your screen captures are for a Deluxe and a Superior Veranda Suite and show the typical price difference.   A Classic ought to be less expensive than either the Deluxe or Superior.  We’ve cruised in Silver, Medallion, Deluxe, and Superior Suites.   Loved the Silver and Medallion Suites but now I’m retired and our income is a bit smaller we’ve booked more Deluxe and Superior Suites for the last few years.  As much as we liked the bigger suites we found we spend about 9 to 10 hours a day in our cabin and most of that is sleeping.  We also don’t typically eat in our cabin even when we had the larger suites and, in fact, in 14 cruises and 100+ days we have eaten only one meal in our cabin.

Randy, well spotted, my mistake. I just received a quote from my TA, classic 3,049, superior 3,538 sterling. If you dont mind me asking, which would you go for please? This is an 8 day cruise, sounds good value to me? Cruise only mind.

25 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Your screen captures are for a Deluxe and a Superior Veranda Suite and show the typical price difference.   A Classic ought to be less expensive than either the Deluxe or Superior.  We’ve cruised in Silver, Medallion, Deluxe, and Superior Suites.   Loved the Silver and Medallion Suites but now I’m retired and our income is a bit smaller we’ve booked more Deluxe and Superior Suites for the last few years.  As much as we liked the bigger suites we found we spend about 9 to 10 hours a day in our cabin and most of that is sleeping.  We also don’t typically eat in our cabin even when we had the larger suites and, in fact, in 14 cruises and 100+ days we have eaten only one meal in our cabin.

I don't necessarily want to take this thread down a tangent, but why would anyone want to dine alone (ie - 2 people) in their cabin?  I understand having breakfast (I've done that many times because its easier and quicker), but dinner in a cabin sounds dreary.  Even if it was an anniversary or other special occasion, wouldn't it always be more preferable to dress up and dine in one of the dining rooms?

Even if you don't want to dress up for formal night, there are still dining locations that would be preferable to eating in the cabin.

I guess I don't see the allure.

3 hours ago, fudge said:

Hallo.

I need some advise please regarding suites on the Silver Moon?  I have searched but cannot see much difference between a Classic Veranda suite and a Superior Veranda suite? They appear to be the same size and almost the same decks, the Superior suite is 500 sterling cheaper?

Thank you for any advise.

On the Moon we would probably book a Superior on Deck 8 or 9.  We typically warm weather itineraries and spend a lot of time on the pool deck but found either of those decks work well for access to the rest of the ship.  To be honest Silversea ships, even the newer ones like the Moon, aren’t all that big and getting around from any deck is pretty easy.  

25 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I don't necessarily want to take this thread down a tangent, but why would anyone want to dine alone (ie - 2 people) in their cabin?  I understand having breakfast (I've done that many times because its easier and quicker), but dinner in a cabin sounds dreary.  Even if it was an anniversary or other special occasion, wouldn't it always be more preferable to dress up and dine in one of the dining rooms?

Even if you don't want to dress up for formal night, there are still dining locations that would be preferable to eating in the cabin.

The one and only time we are dinner in our cabin was after a long day in Florence when the ship was docked in Livorno.  We got back to the ship in time for regular dinner but didn’t want to rush to get cleaned up and change our attire.   Helped that was one cruise we were in a larger Medallion Suite and our butler set up a nice table for us.   In the Superior/Deluxe Suites we typically book now I really can’t see a dinner in the cabin.  We frequently do get coffee, juices, and maybe a few croissants delivered for “first breakfast” but that’s not a full meal.   

5 hours ago, fudge said:

Randy, well spotted, my mistake. I just received a quote from my TA, classic 3,049, superior 3,538 sterling. If you dont mind me asking, which would you go for please? This is an 8 day cruise, sounds good value to me? Cruise only mind.

As Randy noted, the overall size and layout are the same.  I've sailed in each of the Veranda suite categories and choose based on itinerary, location and price difference between the three.

Find out which suites are available in each category and where they are located - on some ships, a Classic veranda will be next door to a Superior, so you may as well take the savings. On some itineraries, being on one side of the ship may be preferable, which could steer cabin choice. 

And Superior suite locations aren't necessarily better - on my voyage to Croatia last year (we met on that voyage, Fudge), I was "upgraded" to a Superior Veranda, but it was at the front of the ship, so there was noise from the anchor every morning and a loooong walk to/from the suite.  A Classic on Deck 5 closer to midship would have been better, if it were available.  If not, I would definitely have paid extra for a Deluxe verand

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

6 hours ago, tfred said:

- I see that the bed size is queen in classic, superior or deluxe.  Is king only available in upper suites ? 

Can the queen bed be converted to double?

I presume you mean twin, and yes the bed can be pulled apart (by your suite attendant) to make two twin beds.

I am currently on the Moon and the bed in a verandah cabin when configured as a queen measures approx 80ins long by 66ins wide.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Just as we enjoy pulling up the draw bridge and dining in at home, after 10 or 12 days at sea we enjoy the same thing. Just a break from dressing up and dining out, and having a different experience.

46 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Just as we enjoy pulling up the draw bridge and dining in at home, after 10 or 12 days at sea we enjoy the same thing. Just a break from dressing up and dining out, and having a different experience.

I guess so...  I'm just not convinced.  But to each their own, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I guess so...  I'm just not convinced.  But to each their own, I suppose.

Exactly. Given the number of meals being delivered to cabins each night, dining in seems to have a base, albeit small.. But pax don’t always dine in for the same reason. Some do it when exhausted, some when wanting a simple meal instead of fine dining, some when bored of the same routine, some when wanting a movie night, some when having an early morning the next day, etc. We never dined in cabin until taking longer cruises when we got older; now we do it once per every 10 nights at sea.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2023 at 6:39 AM, Rothko1 said:

Not always, you get a little tried of eating every night.  Sometimes you only want light dinner and a movie.  Or invite a few people and have a nice dinner with friends.

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Not always, you get a little tried of eating every night.  Sometimes you only want light dinner and a movie.  Or invite a few people and have a nice dinner with friends.

Could get a little crowded having dinner with friends in a veranda suite.

OK, so I understand about just ordering room service for a relaxed, informal dinner in the suite.  Just like in a hotel.

But if you wanted to have friends over for dinner, how exactly does that work?  I'm assuming you have one of the larger suites with a proper dining space.  I agree that a regular veranda suite wouldn't work.

Does the butler provide menus for everyone?  Take orders?  Deliver multiple courses?  Stays in the suite to refill water and wine glasses, take an order for a second bottle of wine, clear the plates, etc?

We like to dine in at least once or twice during a cruise. If you give the butler (if you have one) 24hrs notice you can order virtually anything so long as they have it on board.

We like hot spicy food so we may order a traditional Curry with all the trimmings, a starter and a dessert not on the menus of the ship.

We state the time, he or she will serve it course by course to suit you, normally we serve our own drinks, yes you can order more bottles, you can call to have the plates removed or leave them on a tray provided outside your suite.

Its all very relaxed, it makes a nice change for us because when we eat in the dining venues we like to dress up. I dont think we have ever ordered from a menu.

I posted the original question and I appreciate the replies. In a nutshell, is the difference location only? looks like there are those for and those against, I cannot decide now? In fact Mrs Fudge has just asked me is there any difference or not?  I couldn't really answer except location.

4 minutes ago, fudge said:

I posted the original question and I appreciate the replies. In a nutshell, is the difference location only? looks like there are those for and those against, I cannot decide now? In fact Mrs Fudge has just asked me is there any difference or not?  I couldn't really answer except location.

Yes location only. I must rather save money and go with the lowest suite price for exact same floor plan.