Online check in??????

ontheweb

18 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The crowds are caused by that large group of cruisers who insist on getting to the pier by 9AM, while previous cruisers are still getting off the ship and filling the terminal and facilities. Everyone wants to get on early to start using their drink package and get a “free” lunch. 
We go at 11 or later and usually have no problem boarding quickly.

that crowd of people who "insist" on getting to the pier by 9 am... do you, by any chance, know what time their check-in is? NCL offers check-ins at 9 am, so if they could be right on time. NCL counts on very early check-ins to equally distribute the work flow throughout the day and to ensure everybody gets on board before departure.  

as for the terminal... due to customs, border patrol, security and baggage requirements, traffic tends to flow one way through the terminal. there is very little intermingling of those getting off the ship with those coming on board. those disembarking may indeed be filling the terminal and facilities, but it's generally not the same areas of the terminal and facilities used by those embarking

as for why people get on board early, the characterization of them as wanting a "free lunch" or making the most of their drink package is curious. there are many reasons people get on board early. some practice covid protocols and know that an early check-in means less exposure to unmasked individuals. some want to get on board to sort out last minute dinner or entertainment reservations. some find it boring to wait in a sterile hotel room. some suffer from agoraphobia and want to arrive early when there are likely to be fewer people. some simply love cruising and can't wait to be back on board. and, yes, some enjoy getting a seat at the local or the buffet or their favorite bar before the madding crowd descends. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, UKstages said:

... there are many reasons people get on board early. some practice covid protocols and know that an early check-in means less exposure to unmasked individuals. some want to get on board to sort out last minute dinner or entertainment reservations. some find it boring to wait in a sterile hotel room. some suffer from agoraphobia and want to arrive early when there are likely to be fewer people. some simply love cruising and can't wait to be back on board. and, yes, some enjoy getting a seat at the local or the buffet or their favorite bar before the madding crowd descends. 

Those are just excuses for ignoring the assigned checkin times.  I really don't care what their reasons might be, the checkin times should be enforced.  

In effect, those arriving before their assigned checkin times are 'line cutters' and should be treated as such.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Those are just excuses for ignoring the assigned checkin times. I really don't care what their reasons might be, the checkin times should be enforced.  

the reasons i offered were in defense of why people might choose an early check-in time (contrary to another poster, it's not always about booze and food). my posts here have been about how important it is for people to adhere to their assigned check-in time.

i'm on your team with regard to enforcing check-in times!

Edited by UKstages

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

the reasons i offered were in defense of why people might choose an early check-in time (contrary to another poster, it's not always about booze and food). my posts here have been about how important it is for people to adhere to their assigned check-in time.

i'm on your team with regard to enforcing check-in times!

I  understand your  intentions, however these are just excuses, not justifications for arriving at a different checkin time.  You can rephrase every one of those excuses as justification for wanting to cut into the lines at the buffet or any of the dining facilities. It comes down to this: "Wait your turn."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I  understand your  intentions, however these are just excuses, not justifications for arriving at a different checkin time.  You can rephrase every one of those excuses as justification for wanting to cut into the lines at the buffet or any of the dining facilities. It comes down to this: "Wait your turn."

respectfully, you simply don't understand. or perhaps you're confusing me with another poster.

those are not my intentions! your suppositions are wrong!

you continue to chastise me for providing cover for the "arrive at any time" crowd. i have done no such thing. go back and read my posts in this - and other similar threads - and my message will be quite clear: arrive at your assigned time!

in post #22, i said "choosing a check-in time implies a social contract; there is a moral obligation to show up at the appointed time, for your benefit, comfort and safety... and for the benefit, comfort and safety of your fellow passengers."

what about that could possibly be misconstrued as a recommendation to cut into line?

post #26 did not recommend excuses... it was an attempt to explain to another poster why somebody might choose (and be assigned) an early check-in time. that poster said that people insisted on queuing up at 9 am because they wanted a free lunch. i pointed out that NCL actually has 9 am check-in times (those people may not be jumping the queue) and, by the way, there are lots of reasons people may choose early check-in times... it ain't all about a free lunch.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UKstages said:

that crowd of people who "insist" on getting to the pier by 9 am... do you, by any chance, know what time their check-in is?

Wait, I’ve got that information right here in my files…..🙄

I think the crowds are mostly NCL's fault.  For our last three cruises, we checked in promptly at 12:00 am ET and received terminal arrival times of 9:00.  In all cases, they didn't open the doors until at least 9:30, resulting in growing lines.  I don't blame that on the customers.  I recently checked in for my next cruise (also at 12:00 ET) and the earliest available time was 9:30.  Has anybody received a 9:00 arrival time in the past two weeks?  Maybe NCL woke up and fixed the "problem."

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

post #26 did not recommend excuses... it was an attempt to explain to another poster why somebody might choose (and be assigned) an early check-in time. that poster said that people insisted on queuing up at 9 am because they wanted a free lunch. i pointed out that NCL actually has 9 am check-in times (those people may not be jumping the queue) and, by the way, there are lots of reasons people may choose early check-in times... it ain't all about a free lunch.

I wasn't criticizing  you.  I was commenting on the 'reasons'.

• Like 1

Going back to the original post… most airlines don’t require your passport info at booking. The airline will request it when doing online check-in, they may also send reminders for any specific border control requirements. E.g. when I travel to the USA I get a reminder to make sure my ESTA is up to date, and for my last trip there was all the extra covid certifications required. 

On 4/6/2023 at 8:46 AM, ontheweb said:

When we do end up filling out the forms for NCL, will they then forward our passport information to the airlines, or do we have to fill that out for both?

We booked flights through NCL for our overseas flight this past February, but wasn't given flight information until about 45 days prior to flying out. I was originally told I wouldn't get it until 30 days out. 

We didn't even know which airline we would be using (it ended up being United Airlines). That meant I wasn't able to log into UA's website to choose seats or enter any personal information until 45 days prior to leaving. I had to enter passport, KTN and other information on the UA website. Norwegian did not do any of that for me.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

We booked flights through NCL for our overseas flight this past February, but wasn't given flight information until about 45 days prior to flying out. I was originally told I wouldn't get it until 30 days out. 

We didn't even know which airline we would be using (it ended up being United Airlines). That meant I wasn't able to log into UA's website to choose seats or enter any personal information until 45 days prior to leaving. I had to enter passport, KTN and other information on the UA website. Norwegian did not do any of that for me.

That timeframe sounds like what our TA told us.

I do realize that at some point the airlines will have to know our passport information, but so will NCL as we will be in several European nations. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, ontheweb said:

I already got that e-mail for our August cruise, and now I can see middle names for both DW and me when I am on my NCL.

It still does not sit right with me that they would not need our passport information before booking our flights.

Far as I know, airlines need your passport info before you check in for the flight ... there might be some odd exceptions.  I remember British Air forcing me to add that info before I picked our seats, but that was years ago.  It was memorable because the website didn't inform me, just sat there staring back at me every time I tried to pick the seats.

Edited by jsn55

On 4/7/2023 at 8:21 AM, UKstages said:

yes, and it's quite successful at doing that, except when people choose to ignore check in times!

you're absolutely correct that check-in times are rarely enforced. but choosing a check-in time implies a social contract; there is a moral obligation to show up at the appointed time, for your benefit, comfort and safety... and for the benefit, comfort and safety of your fellow passengers.

So true!  If you pick/are assigned a checkin time, check in THEN.  I consider it boorish to cause crowding and congestion just so you can get a free lunch.  

On 4/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, ontheweb said:

When I go to my NCL and click on online check in, it says it can start 21 days prior to departure and must be completed by 3 days before departure. But doesn't NCL need some of the information I would be inputting such as our passport information as they are booking our international flights?

NO!!!!!!

• Like 1