No more Soda package?

GRBlizz

Planning for upcoming Iceland cruise on Apex. We went CO this time. I was looking to add my normal basic non-alcoholic package which basically covers only sodas, and I see my only option is the "premium non-alcholic" package ( now called Zero Proof) at double the price. Is there no longer an option for those of us who just want their Diet Coke fix? Or do I have to buy a case in Amsterdam and bring it on-board? What about kids?

• Like 1

You're correct, there is now only the Zero Proof package, instead of the various non-alcoholic packages.  That is true for kids as well.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeppers, this change happened some time ago...

A few posters have been miffed at the cost of the new package because it would have been more "economical" to just get that package vs AI or CPB...

A financial loop which X has closed, somewhat...

Cheers and bon voyage

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

A financial loop which X has closed, somewhat...

It's not really a loop... I was fine with just getting my iced lattes, bottled water, and club sodas. To charge more for things that I don't want is very annoying and only makes me want to cruise more with Virgin. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you only want a occasional Coke you may be better off just paying as you go.

This is my approach. For the (outrageous, IMO) price of the zero proof you'd have to drink 5 or 6 everyday to make it worth it, and that's just too much for me. I carry my water bottle and keep refilling as I go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miguelmia said:

This is my approach. For the (outrageous, IMO) price of the zero proof you'd have to drink 5 or 6 everyday to make it worth it, and that's just too much for me. I carry my water bottle and keep refilling as I go.

While I do not disagree, I can easily see myself having more than five or six drinks that are covered by the Zero Proof package.  A speciality coffee with breakfast, smoothie from the Spa Cafe mid morning, diet soda with lunch (maybe two), afternoon Vitamin water and maybe another diet soda.  Diet Soda with dinner and a speciality coffee after dinner with dessert.   I normally drink at least two diet soda's, two vitamin zero waters, and a smoothie at the spa on any given day.  That does not count the bottles of water that I consume, both still and sparkling.  

• Like 1

People who wanted the soda package were fine with sodas only.  They don't need all the other stuff or were content to pay-as-you-go for those items.  A zero proof package is overkill for that population.  Former member of that group.  It irks me on their behalf. 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

People who wanted the soda package were fine with sodas only.  They don't need all the other stuff or were content to pay-as-you-go for those items.  A zero proof package is overkill for that population.  Former member of that group.  It irks me on their behalf. 

I understand and have never said the Zero Proof package was for everyone.  You have to do what best suits your needs, which apparently is now purchasing individual drinks versus having a package. 

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

While I do not disagree, I can easily see myself having more than five or six drinks that are covered by the Zero Proof package.  A speciality coffee with breakfast, smoothie from the Spa Cafe mid morning, diet soda with lunch (maybe two), afternoon Vitamin water and maybe another diet soda.  Diet Soda with dinner and a speciality coffee after dinner with dessert.   I normally drink at least two diet soda's, two vitamin zero waters, and a smoothie at the spa on any given day.  That does not count the bottles of water that I consume, both still and sparkling.  

You drink a lot.....of liquid.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, padgman1 said:

You drink a lot.....of liquid.

I do, especially bottled water and Vitamin Zero water.  I do that to make sure that all of the beverages containing alcohol I consume do not dehydrate me.  I had that happen once -- never again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It may also depend on the cruise. We did a TA last fall where I would have made full use of such a package. Upcoming cruise has 8 port days out of 12. for that itinerary, there’s no way I could see drinking that much on the ship. YMMV. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, bEwAbG said:

yeap, our kid only drinks soda, and doesn't touch anything else. Would have been great to have a soda only package.

• Like 2

We are on the Apex in April 2024 and I thought the soda package was just not there yet, but if this is fleet wide, then it never will show up.  I think the no alcohol package is priced by day and is more than the soda package total was. 

What does an individual can of soda cost?  I assume you get a can if you buy it at a bar. 

6 minutes ago, KansasK said:

We are on the Apex in April 2024 and I thought the soda package was just not there yet, but if this is fleet wide, then it never will show up.  I think the no alcohol package is priced by day and is more than the soda package total was. 

What does an individual can of soda cost?  I assume you get a can if you buy it at a bar. 

I found on internet $3 for soda, and $5 for premium water.   You will have to drink 10 cans of soda every day to break even with the zero proof package.

3 minutes ago, lostchild said:

I found on internet $3 for soda, and $5 for premium water.   You will have to drink 10 cans of soda every day to break even with the zero proof package.

Yep. In 15+ years of cruising with X, our upcoming cruise will be the first time I will carry on a case of Coke Zero. 

1 hour ago, lostchild said:

I think I will put a case of soda in my carry-on and see what happens. I always bought the soda package, but if it is gone, then I will try to bring on my own.  Or is it better to put it in a checked suitcase? Either way, they can see it.  

55 minutes ago, KansasK said:

I think I will put a case of soda in my carry-on and see what happens. I always bought the soda package, but if it is gone, then I will try to bring on my own.  Or is it better to put it in a checked suitcase? Either way, they can see it.  

There is no policy prohibiting any quantity of soft drinks. No need to hide it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRBlizz said:

There is no policy prohibiting any quantity of soft drinks. No need to hide it.

Thanks, GRBlizz, that is good to know!  There are also no cases of water being sold.  Is this also something they do not sell?  I would buy the soda package on Royal Caribbean, and a case of 12 bottles of water.  I am not afraid to drink the ship's water, though. 

3 hours ago, KansasK said:

You can carry it openly onboard and don’t need to take carryon space for that. I took 2x 12 cans of coke and cherry coke onboard and it’s absolutely allowed.

My brother always buys a case of water and it is delivered to his cabin.  This was on Royal Caribbean. He is on the Celebrity cruise with my husband and myself and wanted to buy a case of water on the website for the cruise, but it is not listed.  He called and was given the number for Customer Service.  He called them.  He was told that on embarkation day, he can bring all the soda or water that he can carry onto the ship.  Carry is the key - they said it cannot be in luggage. If it is, they said Celebrity would take it away from him.  He was also told he cannot buy a case of water in a port and carry it onto the ship. 

I know that this contradicts the experiences of serveral posters who successfully brought soda onto the ship in luggage for past cruises.  I thought I would share the information he was given since it is for an upcoming cruise.  As he said, bad news. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:18 AM, DaKahuna said:

I do, especially bottled water and Vitamin Zero water.  I do that to make sure that all of the beverages containing alcohol I consume do not dehydrate me.  I had that happen once -- never again. 

Very smart poster. Biggest reason to go to Med center on a cruise is dehydration. People drink alcohol but no water. Dr says one glass water with every alcoholic beverage.