Haven't cruise for a while - LOTS of questions

I haven't cruised since before the pandemic hit and my last cruise was on Celebrity. I have some questions about how things are done now and hoping you super experienced folks can assist.

• My cruise is in February 2024. When will the site allow me to make reservations for MyTime dining?
  • Speaking of MTD, the website says the times are 5:30-9:00, but I've read some people saying the start time for MTD has been pushed later. Is that true, or only true for the larger ships? (We're on a small ship, Enchantment)
  • I have downloaded the app. It says I can communicate with my travel mates through the app. How is that done? Does it still work if I put my phone in airplane mode?
  • I understand muster drill is now something we watch on the app, then report to our station to complete the requirement. Is that accurate? Is there a specific time when this needs to be done?
  • I think I read that we no longer get our sea pass cards when we check-in at the pier, but they are left on our cabin door. Is that true across all ships.
  • We were planning to try to get to the ship early in hopes of boarding by 11:00-11:30. I've seen some posts about assigned check-in times. Is that fleet wide? Are they randomly assigned, or do we have to request a time we want? If the latter, how is that done?
  • We have one tender port on our itinerary. How does that work? Is it first come/first serve, or do we need to sign up the day prior? I haven't had a tender port in years, but I think there used to be some sort of ticket system. 
  • Do they still do the 70s party? Anyone know what night that might be, or does it vary ship to ship?

Thanks!

On the app go to dining-main dining-MTD-reserve. I think it’s 6:45 start time for all ships but not 100% sure. You watch the safety videos on the app a few hours before your cruise, after you watch them it’ll show a green complete sign on the video, then go to your muster station to confirm you watched the videos, very quick process. Needs to be done day 1 before ship leaves port. The ships Wi-Fi is free for app use, so shouldn’t matter if it’s on airplane mode. You can text people on the app but make sure to go into your phone’s notification settings and have notifications on for the app. Sea passes are on the door when rooms are available 1-2pm. Everyone gets assigned check in times, how strict they are depends on the port. You get on the app 45 days before your cruise and check in, upload a photo of your face similar to what you’d use on a passport photo, passport number, link your credit card, select your boarding time. Put your set sail passes in your apple wallet, or whatever the equivalent is for android. Complete your health questionnaire the day before embarking on the app, few simple questions like are you pregnant or sick. They do 70s parties, when you board look at the apps daily planner do find it and other activities. Menus, drinks, activities, almost everything is on the app.

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

Not sure if it's been posted but you check in for your cruise 45 days ahead. I wasnt fast enough on oasis recently so didnt get the earliest time, but usually I'm on at midnight grabbing the earliest check in time.

45 days ahead is when you get the check in time choice. 

Uploading a photo isn't required.  They didn't like the one I tried to upload.  No problem.  They take your picture at the pier.  Very easy.  You pick your checkin time when you do your online checkin.  Can be done on the app or on the website. 

1 hour ago, printingchick said:

I haven't cruised since before the pandemic hit and my last cruise was on Celebrity. I have some questions about how things are done now and hoping you super experienced folks can assist.

• My cruise is in February 2024. When will the site allow me to make reservations for MyTime dining?ho
  • Speaking of MTD, the website says the times are 5:30-9:00, but I've read some people saying the start time for MTD has been pushed later. Is that true, or only true for the larger ships? (We're on a small ship, Enchantment)
  • I have downloaded the app. It says I can communicate with my travel mates through the app. How is that done? Does it still work if I put my phone in airplane mode?  Yes, it works in Airplane mode and that's the mode that it should be in while on the ship, at least my recmmendation.
  • I understand muster drill is now something we watch on the app, then report to our station to complete the requirement. Is that accurate? Is there a specific time when this needs to be done?  As soon as you get on the ship.  It is just a stop by the muster station and check-in with the stationed crew member, watch the safety video in your app first.  The ship won't depart until EVERYONE competes the muster check-in.   EASY PEASY. 
  • I think I read that we no longer get our sea pass cards when we check-in at the pier, but they are left on our cabin door. Is that true across all ships.  True, it is in the mailbox outside the cabin.  
  • We were planning to try to get to the ship early in hopes of boarding by 11:00-11:30. I've seen some posts about assigned check-in times. Is that fleet wide? Are they randomly assigned, or do we have to request a time we want? If the latter, how is that done?  I believe "Arrival Times" are fleet/location wide.  The question is if the Terminal Staff enforce it or not.  I've had a 12:00 arrival time but was on the ship by 11:00 at the Port of Canaveral.
  • We have one tender port on our itinerary. How does that work? Is it first come/first serve, or do we need to sign up the day prior? I haven't had a tender port in years, but I think there used to be some sort of ticket system. I was under the impression that Royal doesn't visit ports that Tender.  Obviously, I may be wrong.  But, I have never tendered with Royal.
  • Do they still do the 70s party? Anyone know what night that might be, or does it vary ship to ship?  Could be 70s, 80s.... depending on ship, I guess.

Thanks!

My comments are based on my own experiences and what I've read here.  If I didn't answer a question, I just don't know or aren't confident about it!

As to tenders,  we've done it many times.  Scheduled to do it in Santa Barbara in October.  Grand Cayman is a tender port.  This doesn’t the whole list.  Sometimes they issue tender tix, suites I ften go first.  If you are on a shore excursion they'll tell you what to do.  

1 hour ago, printingchick said:

• My cruise is in February 2024. When will the site allow me to make reservations for MyTime dining?
  • I have downloaded the app. It says I can communicate with my travel mates through the app. How is that done? Does it still work if I put my phone in airplane mode?
  • I understand muster drill is now something we watch on the app, then report to our station to complete the requirement. Is that accurate? Is there a specific time when this needs to be done?
  • I think I read that we no longer get our sea pass cards when we check-in at the pier, but they are left on our cabin door. Is that true across all ships.
  • We were planning to try to get to the ship early in hopes of boarding by 11:00-11:30. I've seen some posts about assigned check-in times. Is that fleet wide? Are they randomly assigned, or do we have to request a time we want? If the latter, how is that done?
  • We have one tender port on our itinerary. How does that work? Is it first come/first serve, or do we need to sign up the day prior? I haven't had a tender port in years, but I think there used to be some sort of ticket system. 
  • Do they still do the 70s party? Anyone know what night that might be, or does it vary ship to ship?

Thanks!

Reservations for MTD can become available pretty much at anytime, so keep checking.  Muster is through the app, you can watch the videos on your phone while you are waiting to board and then just stop at your muster station once you are on the ship and check in.  Sea pass cards are outside your door, you can get it once cabins are available.  You can use any drink package you have prior to getting your sea pass card, they will either scan your set sail pass or just ask your cabin number.  App works with your phone in airplane mode, just connect to royal wifi.  Tendering seems to differ by ship, some do tickets, some say line up.  You will find out on the ship.  If you have any C&A status (diamond or up), you can usually get tickets from the concierge in the diamond lounge.

• Like 1

Oh, wait! If we board the ship before cabins are ready and we DON'T have our Sea Pass cards, how do we get a celebratory drink? We won't have a drink package; we're not big enough drinkers. But we LIKE to celebrate boarding with a tropical cocktail. Are we out of luck with this new system??

3 minutes ago, printingchick said:

Oh, wait! If we board the ship before cabins are ready and we DON'T have our Sea Pass cards, how do we get a celebratory drink? We won't have a drink package; we're not big enough drinkers. But we LIKE to celebrate boarding with a tropical cocktail. Are we out of luck with this new system??

You will use your SetSail Pass. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, printingchick said:

Your set sail pass acts as your sea pass until cabins are open.  They will either scan that or just ask your cabin number.  You can get a drink!

• Like 3

Printingchick

Just a note on tenders in Belize: if you are planning a snorkeling excursion it is usually better to book snorkeling excursions through the ship because the tour company will pick you up directly from the ship then take you to the snorkeling location. You would not need to tend ther 30-45 minutes to shore, then 45-60 minutes to the snorkeling site. Unless things have changed the tender time from ship to shore in Belize is longer than other locations.

For tubing in the jungle we did book on our own with Reggie but that was 20 years ago. 

I've already made My Time Dining reservations for a November 2024 cruise, so I'm sure you can make dinner ressies now.  You can always change your time, so it's smart to go ahead and claim your preferences now.  

Yes, you'll watch a safety video on the phone app, then go to your Muster Station once you board -- and that's it.  

Yes, an envelope containing your Ship ID will be waiting outside your door.  You'll have a set-sail pass either on your phone or printed, and you'll use that if you want to purchase a drink (or whatever) before picking up your Ship ID. 

45 days before you board (45 days?) you'll need to use the app (or your computer) to check in.  You'll claim your boarding time then.  If you really want to board early (and I always do), stay up until midnight the night before.  You'll have no time claiming 10:30.  

I haven't tendered in years and can't help with that topic. 

Yes, we watched the 70s party from our Promenade View cabin in December -- loved it!  

I checked again. The cruise planner for my February 2024 cruise is pretty sparse. No ability to make dining reservations. I think it would allow me to purchase a beverage package. I'll keep checking. And good advice about checking in ASAP - even just after midnight - to get the boarding time you want. Last time I cruised they may have sent out suggested boarding times, but they didn't hold anyone to them.