Circle C/Camp Ocean-Age Cutoff

dsnutz

Wondered if anyone has recently sailed with a child, 11 turning 12 in a few months (we sail Monday), that was allowed to go up to Circle C instead of Camp Ocean. Wasn’t sure how strict they were and/or if was a supervisory call. He’s done CO many times over past cruises, but have a feeling he may be “too cool for school” to hang with the younger kids. Hope they will but understand it not. Thanks!

4 hours ago, dsnutz said:

Wondered if anyone has recently sailed with a child, 11 turning 12 in a few months (we sail Monday), that was allowed to go up to Circle C instead of Camp Ocean. Wasn’t sure how strict they were and/or if was a supervisory call. He’s done CO many times over past cruises, but have a feeling he may be “too cool for school” to hang with the younger kids. Hope they will but understand it not. Thanks!

Consider that the 14 yrs may not be so welcoming and that there is no "sign in/out" for Circle C.  It is also possible that if Camp Counselors let him "up" age, they could let a Club Ocean (15-17 yrs) age "down".

While I do think there is 'some' discretion, our sense was that extenuating circumstances were required. Our experience with this many years ago was when our daughter was in Club 02 and her younger brother was short by about 14 days but was allowed to 'age up'.

On the other hand, I'm fairly confident that age 18 is a 'hard cutoff' for liability reasons.  Perhaps others have had a different experience.

I haven't read anything since covid, but before covid it seemed to depend on how many kids were on the ship, if they're was room to move them around. 

I take it your kid is in 6th grade?  This time of year, about half the 6th graders will be in circle c, half in CO. So he'll be with kids his own grade either way. But, do you cruse often? Will he get 1-2 more chances to be in Circle C? If so, I'd put it this way.... it's his last chance to do CO. Has he been a shark yet? 

If he was born late August, and the cruise was early August, then virtually all the incoming 7th graders would be in Citcle C, so I would definitely ask to age up.  

I have done exactly this post covid.  That being said I do think there is no "one" answer to this question, I think it entirely depends on ship/circumstance/employee/crowd etc.  Last Spring Break we traveled with my sons football friends.  He was 11 and ALL the other boys were 12 so of course he wanted to be in the same club with all his buddies.  I went to the club first chance after they opened first day, with all his friends and explained the circumstances and they bumped him up.  Now did it matter that he was only one month away from being 12, did it matter that he was already 5'6/mature for age, did it matter that I proved that he had a bunch of buddies in the older group I have NO idea but they did agree to move him up, but there are a dozen similar stories that they did not agree to bump the child so as others have said try but don't assume and prepare the child accordingly.

Edited by cacruisin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I take it your kid is in 6th grade -Yes this exactly

But, do you cruse often? Will he get 1-2 more chances to be in Circle C? If so, I'd put it this way.... it's his last chance to do CO. Has he been a shark yet? He’s cruised since he was 5, believe he’s been through them all. We cruise every spring break

If he was born late August, and the cruise was early August, then virtually all the incoming 7th graders would be in Citcle C, so I would definitely ask to age up.  Born in June, cruise Monday…wooooo hooooo!!!

Thanks for the insight!

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

Now did it matter that he was only one month away from being 12, did it matter that he was already 5'6/mature for age…but they did agree to move him up…Closer to two months but definitely a tall and mature 11 y/o.  Also hope we have the same luck as you.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cruisin4aBruisin73 said:

I'm glad to see that some people have had good luck.  My 11 year old will be 1.5 months shy of 12, he's already 5'9" tall, 220lbs and plays football in the 13-14 league.  So I'm super hopeful that he can age up!!

They said we could go down to the Circle C area and ask but he decided to just hang with his peers and had a blast. Good luck!

On 4/5/2023 at 9:19 AM, jsglow said:

While I do think there is 'some' discretion, our sense was that extenuating circumstances were required. Our experience with this many years ago was when our daughter was in Club 02 and her younger brother was short by about 14 days but was allowed to 'age up'.

On the other hand, I'm fairly confident that age 18 is a 'hard cutoff' for liability reasons.  Perhaps others have had a different experience.

18 is a hard cutoff, my 18 year old last summer was days into being 18 and was turned away and couldn't join his sister

On 5/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, klfrodo said:

I'm waiting for the " my kid is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree" thread. It appears as if everyone who cruises has a gifted/more mature child. LOL

Well, I never said he was gifted, I just said he's incredibly large for his age and plays football with kids who are 13-14 years old.  This makes it difficult for him to play with kids his age and under as he rough houses and just about demolishes little guys.  He also has a few dim bulbs.  LOL.  Quit reading into things, thanks!

• Haha 2

On 5/4/2023 at 12:20 PM, klfrodo said:

I'm waiting for the " my kid is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree" thread. It appears as if everyone who cruises has a gifted/more mature child. LOL

I will say it.  I don't let my older son check himself out of kid's club because he is so out of it/clueless/distracted that he would never be able to find his way back to our room if we did.  One time my younger son put a mac-and-cheese bowl in the microwave without adding water first and it caught on fire.  Like a real fire.  Our fire alarms went off. Smoke filled the house.  I threw a towel on the fire to put it out.  I ran around opening all the windows.  House smelled awful. Completely filled with smoke.  My older son was sitting there playing on his pad through the entire thing and never moved.  He looked up about 30 minutes later and said, "Where did all this smoke come from?"  Never noticed the fire alarms.  Never noticed my other son and I screaming or the commotion.  Never noticed the fire. 

He plays soccer and the coaches never put on goalie because he will be picking flowers, staring at the clouds in the sky, and talking to himself.  He doesn't even need a tablet or a phone to get distracted.  

He once came home with only one shoe on and had no idea how he lost the other, where it was, or when it happened.  Not even making this up. One would think you would notice only having one shoe on.  Not him.  

He is, however, very well-behaved if for no other reason than he is so in his own little world he is unbothered by whatever anyone else is doing. He probably needs to be on ADD meds but he is so skinny (because he forgets to eat unless we remind him) that I worry it would affect his growth if I put him on them.

Edited by Eli_6

2 hours ago, Cruisin4aBruisin73 said:

Well, I never said he was gifted, I just said he's incredibly large for his age and plays football with kids who are 13-14 years old.  This makes it difficult for him to play with kids his age and under as he rough houses and just about demolishes little guys.  He also has a few dim bulbs.  LOL.  Quit reading into things, thanks!

I actually think they are more likely to move a large kid up than one for being really smart.  My first ever cruise, when I was 13 years old, the club people moved me to the teenage group after seeing me without my parents saying anything. I was 5'8 and a D cup bra.  I was also had my braces off, was already having my hair highlighted and in all respects looked and acted like a much older teenager.  Frankly, I looked almost exactly the same from about age 12 until until I was about 38-39 and started getting fat.