Zuiderdam

TraelorMex

15 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I vividly & fondly remember the psychedelic interiors of Zuiderdam when she was brand new. Talk about LSD at sea & possible retinal detachment, lol. Very Carnival-esque. Anyone remember the carpeting in the passageways? Shockingly wild combinations of mismatched purple, orange, red, yellow, teal, lime green, blue....& yet I LOVED IT! She's much more toned down in her later years. After Zaandam, my favorite ship in the fleet.

Oosterdam had the same carpets. I think it was supposed to represent ripples of water, although the carpets were not any color of water I've seen! I thought the "busy" pattern would be good for hiding stains from seasick passengers who didn't make it back to the cabin in time. 😱

The fun thing about that carpet design is that it was computer designed. The colors could be changed easily, producing multiple versions of the same design. Once I noticed that, I went around the ship looking for as many variations as I could find. I just looked and found my carpet pictures. There were the dark reds, shades of blue and purple, shades of green, shades of tan and gold, blue and orange and purple. Here's one of them.

DSCN0149.JPG

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

Grand Africa will be pretty entertaining on its own.  On specialty theme cruises like this, they usually up their enrichment offerings so you can become very knowledge about where you are going.

Food on HAL ships is varied, and always very pleasant.  Not sure how to compare it, but it exceeds expectations if one goes in realistically expecting nice hotel banquet level food. HAL will not disappoint ,and one always leave feeling they got very good value ....for the price.

One prior poster assumed since "grand" was in the cruise title, everything was going to be super deluxe. But grand I assume refers to the incredible sweep of the itinerary - and Grand Africa certainly ranks among one of the better, more off the beaten path offerings from any major cruise line. 

Hope you have a wonderful time. Africa challenges the senses. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

But grand I assume refers to the incredible sweep of the itinerary - and Grand Africa certainly ranks among one of the better, more off the beaten path offerings from any major cruise line. 

Actually, in the past at least, HAL 'Grand' cruises have been 'grand' on a more expansive scale than just the itinerary. 

The enrichment lectures have been many, varied, with presenters who were experts in their fields. The entertainers have been well known, top box office, performers. Food has been much more upscale than the typical 7-day cruises. The Activities staff has been busy with fun, interesting activities. It was much more than three or four trivia games to fill a day. Pillow gifts were frequent and of high quality. 
I still have bath sheets from one from many, many years ago. 

I have not seen, nor read reports of, one that has met the same standard in a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mahi mahi said:

they are very roomy with great balconies and really not much more money than a regular balcony.

Not always the case, unfortunately.  In my experience the Signature Suites are usually around 1.5X more expensive than a veranda cabin but on my upcoming Trans-Atlantic in May 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) they are asking 2X the price for Signature Suites than verandas!!!  I don't know why the price is so much more than usual other than because "they can" and people are paying for it.

~Nancy

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, liketraveling said:

Zuiderdam is my least favorite ship.  With that said the ship has the best crew I have sailed with.

The ship had leaks on the first floor with buckets and garbage cans holding the leaks.

allot of things went wrong when I sailed on her that were not the crews fault.  The crew handled with grace.

Has the ship been in dry dock since?

On 4/9/2023 at 5:56 PM, MISTER 67 said:

You cant go wrong with any HAL Vista or Signature class ship, unfortunately the rest of the HAL product is lacking when it comes to food and entertainment.

Recently home from a Panama Canal transit on the fine ship.  Comfortable, excellent venues, wonderful food and entertainment.  Previous cruise a Transatlantic on Oceania Marina, a cruise line which advertises itself as having the "finest cruise at sea."  We much enjoyed Zaandam's restaurants over Marina's - more elegant, "better" food and much less noisy.  Tables on Marina were so close together and thus to close to others that one could not carry on a conversation with one's tablemate.  And the crew on Zaandam was always ready to help us anywhere on the ship.  

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 5:56 PM, MISTER 67 said:

You cant go wrong with any HAL Vista or Signature class ship, unfortunately the rest of the HAL product is lacking when it comes to food and entertainment.

Recently home from a Panama Canal transit on the fine ship.  Comfortable, excellent venues, wonderful food and entertainment.  Previous cruise a Transatlantic on Oceania Marina, a cruise line which advertises itself as having the "finest cruise at sea."  We much enjoyed Zaandam's restaurants over Marina's - more elegant, "better" food and much less noisy.  Tables on Marina were so close together and thus to close to others that one could not carry on a conversation with one's tablemate.  And the crew on Zaandam was always ready to help us anywhere on the ship.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Could you elaborate more on the food comparison between HAL and Oceania? I have recent experience on HAL and I have an upcoming cruise on Oceania (August) with another potential one in the works. I'm not sure I want to commit to it without previous O experience, so I am trying to get a sense of what the real differences are with the cuisine and dining experience. 

I realize things are subjective -- for example, noise in a MDR setting doesn't bother me overmuch unless it is a cacophony of banging dishes and serving trays.  But could you share what you meant by "better" food?  I was not impressed with HAL's food offerings on Westerdam in April, but I wasn't unhappy either. I'd rate them a solid 6 to 7 out of 10 on most nights. Celebrity would rate at least a point higher.

Edited to add:  Just to be clear, I am rating based on comparisons across various ships, not in comparison to land-based meals.

Edited by cruisemom42

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Could you elaborate more on the food comparison between HAL and Oceania? I have recent experience on HAL and I have an upcoming cruise on Oceania (August) with another potential one in the works. I'm not sure I want to commit to it without previous O experience, so I am trying to get a sense of what the real differences are with the cuisine and dining experience. 

I realize things are subjective -- for example, noise in a MDR setting doesn't bother me overmuch unless it is a cacophony of banging dishes and serving trays.  But could you share what you meant by "better" food?  I was not impressed with HAL's food offerings on Westerdam in April, but I wasn't unhappy either. I'd rate them a solid 6 to 7 out of 10 on most nights. Celebrity would rate at least a point higher.

Edited to add:  Just to be clear, I am rating based on comparisons across various ships, not in comparison to land-based meals.

Good question.  First, I am not a "foodie."  My observation is based on how the food is cooked, which impacts taste, and presentation.  The locale (restaurant) is also important.  Another note: I am not a "foodie" but have had the opportunity to eat at "state level" events outside the US, events where a senior US official is hosted to an elaborate lunch/dinner by a counterpart.  I understand "good" food.

The specialty restaurants on Marina are designed to serve the maximum number of people as possible (maximize profit).  Tables are crowded together to the point where its is difficult to reach your table and more importantly difficult for servers.  This is true in the buffet as well as the specialty restaurants.  In comparison the specialty restaurants on Zaandam have well spaced tables as does the buffet.  

We found the servers on Marina a bit gruff.  No accommodation of any kind, even by request.  Example: my spouse asked for "pink" sugar substitute (blue and yellow on the table) was rebuffed.  "Pinks" were readily available but the server didn't want to extend himself to retrieve them.

As I mentioned, I am not a foodie so stick with the basics.  And on Marina was very "basic" in taste and presentation.  Food was not prepared to that ordered: steaks (fillet) were undercooked and vegetables over cooked in any cases.  Soups, for me, are usually telling.  Better prepared and tastier to me on Zanndam.

We found the selection in Zaandam much wider that that offered on Marina.  More choices and better prepared.  This especially includes that buffets.

Ambiance plays a large part in restaurant enjoyment.  Marina was lacking with its noisy and too closely arranged tables.  Maybe the worst specially restaurant experience ever on a cruise ship in Marina's Italian restaurant.

My experience on the seas?  First "cruise' I remember was a transatlantic in 1949.  Family made about ten crossings in the early 1950s, First Class, where you were called to dinner by a waiter walking the passageways playing a xylophone.  Elegant settings.  Perfectly cooked and well presented delicacies.  I  also served 30 years in the US Navy.  Always great food on the table even in the "buffets."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

My observation is based on how the food is cooked, which impacts taste, and presentation.  The locale (restaurant) is also important.  Another note: I am not a "foodie" but have had the opportunity to eat at "state level" events outside the US, events where a senior US official is hosted to an elaborate lunch/dinner by a counterpart.  I understand "good" food.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. My cruise will be on one of O's smaller ships, so I'm not sure how it will compare in terms of feeling crowded. This isn't something that bothers me overmuch. Dining in most restaurants now is predicated on having a certain noise level or "buzz" in the place. Do I miss the old days of having well separated tables, padded surfaces, heavy drapes/wall coverings?  Yes -- but things change. 

You did not mention much about the main dining room -- did you eat there? I've read reviews saying the tables are "well spaced" compared with other lines. I've not been on Zaandam so it is difficult for me to compare, but I certainly did not think there was a lot of space between tables in the MDR on other HAL ships.

I guess you'd say I am a foodie. I enjoy and actively pursue good dining experiences and eat a wide variety of dishes on a regular basis -- I am lucky to live in a city with a very large ethnic population, so Indian and various Asian cuisines are handy and authentic. As is good regional Southern cuisine -- just a few days ago I found out that the restaurant a block from me where I often eat just won a James Beard award for 2023. I also love traditional rich French/Continental cuisine, and have spent a lot of time traveling in Italy too.

I have cruised for a long time; started at age 8 or 9. And back then, dinners were quite formal affairs -- we had at least 5 courses every evening and on formal nights there were more. I learned to eat caviar and escargot while kids my age were eating hot dogs and hamburgers.

For me, one of the things I always enjoyed about dining on a ship in the past was the fact that (for better or worse) kitchen labor was relatively cheap and plentiful, and so cruise lines could "afford" to create and offer the classic continental dishes that require intensive preparation (e.g., Beef Wellington, duck confit) or sauces that were complex and flavorful. I could eat rich food day after day. I am not a "steak and chop" person -- any fool with a fire can grill a steak, but it takes a level of talent and experience to create a good mother sauce.

On Westerdam, as I said, the food wasn't terrible, but with a few exceptions it was fairly basic. A hunk of meat, a few vegetables that were not trimmed to be even close to the same size, a flavorless brown sauce, a non-memorable rice or potato alongside. The cream soups were okay but any broth-based soup tasted terribly bland and watered down, as if they had used water and not broth to make it. I don't know how they are making their Beef Wellington these days but it should be removed from the menu -- it bears no resemblance to the real article. 

Neither Tamarind nor Canaletto was remotely authentic. Canaletto -- okay, some like homey Italian-American, I get it. But being in Asia, with many Asian crew and availability of Asian ingredients makes it hard to understand why Tamarind was so....average. No spice to speak of either time I dined there, other than what was to be found in the three little bowls provided with my shrimp cracker.

So, as you can see, I am hoping for something more from Oceania's food. But I also am tempering my expectations as I suspect it will not be as good as I would like for it to be... 😐

@cruisemom42, if I may chime in, DD and DSIL are decidedly "foodies."  (She worked for a large food magazine, so restaurants usually tried hard.)  With limited vacation time, they want to be spoiled and have been happy with Oceania.  When probed, I hear that the food is all delicious, but mostly they rhapsodize about the bakery items -- breads, croissants, pastries, etc.  They are not people who eat a lot of carbs, but they do on their Oceania cruises.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@cruisemom42, if I may chime in, DD and DSIL are decidedly "foodies."  (She worked for a large food magazine, so restaurants usually tried hard.)  With limited vacation time, they want to be spoiled and have been happy with Oceania.  When probed, I hear that the food is all delicious, but mostly they rhapsodize about the bakery items -- breads, croissants, pastries, etc.  They are not people who eat a lot of carbs, but they do on their Oceania cruises.  

Thanks for that. Good bread/bakery items are a BIG plus in my book!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for that. Good bread/bakery items are a BIG plus in my book!

Agree.  Thought the bakery items on Zaandam were excellent with good selection.  Have read that HAL's larger ships enjoy expanded bakery items as well as Dutch treats.  

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. My cruise will be on one of O's smaller ships, so I'm not sure how it will compare in terms of feeling crowded. This isn't something that bothers me overmuch. Dining in most restaurants now is predicated on having a certain noise level or "buzz" in the place. Do I miss the old days of having well separated tables, padded surfaces, heavy drapes/wall coverings?  Yes -- but things change. 

You did not mention much about the main dining room -- did you eat there? I've read reviews saying the tables are "well spaced" compared with other lines. I've not been on Zaandam so it is difficult for me to compare, but I certainly did not think there was a lot of space between tables in the MDR on other HAL ships.

I guess you'd say I am a foodie. I enjoy and actively pursue good dining experiences and eat a wide variety of dishes on a regular basis -- I am lucky to live in a city with a very large ethnic population, so Indian and various Asian cuisines are handy and authentic. As is good regional Southern cuisine -- just a few days ago I found out that the restaurant a block from me where I often eat just won a James Beard award for 2023. I also love traditional rich French/Continental cuisine, and have spent a lot of time traveling in Italy too.

I have cruised for a long time; started at age 8 or 9. And back then, dinners were quite formal affairs -- we had at least 5 courses every evening and on formal nights there were more. I learned to eat caviar and escargot while kids my age were eating hot dogs and hamburgers.

For me, one of the things I always enjoyed about dining on a ship in the past was the fact that (for better or worse) kitchen labor was relatively cheap and plentiful, and so cruise lines could "afford" to create and offer the classic continental dishes that require intensive preparation (e.g., Beef Wellington, duck confit) or sauces that were complex and flavorful. I could eat rich food day after day. I am not a "steak and chop" person -- any fool with a fire can grill a steak, but it takes a level of talent and experience to create a good mother sauce.

On Westerdam, as I said, the food wasn't terrible, but with a few exceptions it was fairly basic. A hunk of meat, a few vegetables that were not trimmed to be even close to the same size, a flavorless brown sauce, a non-memorable rice or potato alongside. The cream soups were okay but any broth-based soup tasted terribly bland and watered down, as if they had used water and not broth to make it. I don't know how they are making their Beef Wellington these days but it should be removed from the menu -- it bears no resemblance to the real article. 

Neither Tamarind nor Canaletto was remotely authentic. Canaletto -- okay, some like homey Italian-American, I get it. But being in Asia, with many Asian crew and availability of Asian ingredients makes it hard to understand why Tamarind was so....average. No spice to speak of either time I dined there, other than what was to be found in the three little bowls provided with my shrimp cracker.

So, as you can see, I am hoping for something more from Oceania's food. But I also am tempering my expectations as I suspect it will not be as good as I would like for it to be... 😐

We are Azamara fans - O's smaller ships.  Always good eating, always well presented with great fanfare by the kitchen and wait staffs.  Have not sailed Azamara since the pandemic but hope to return in the future.

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We are Azamara fans - O's smaller ships.  Always good eating, always well presented with great fanfare by the kitchen and wait staffs.  Have not sailed Azamara since the pandemic but hope to return in the future.

I have only been on one Azamara cruise (which I liked) but I am trying them out again this year -- in October I have BTB cruises to the Med booked on their newest (to the line) ship, Onward.

Edited by cruisemom42

This digressed from OP “Zuiderdam “ questions to “Zaandam.” 
On Zuiderdam now and have found food very good. Pastries/bakery better than many…new Canaletto menu for us seems very good (excellent dinner there last night.)

MRD too hectic for us…prefer Lido for our meals.
Library is new and has loads of best sellers! Love it!
Signature Suite is excellent (one reason we love this class of ship…large cabin with double sink bathroom, tub and shower, but no need for extra frills of Neptune for us.) 

C8A95292-0238-4CE5-B329-F536A5523BF2.jpeg

64962694-08E0-440A-B007-0310084EC787.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 9:01 PM, oakridger said:

Not always the case, unfortunately.  In my experience the Signature Suites are usually around 1.5X more expensive than a veranda cabin but on my upcoming Trans-Atlantic in May 2024 from Ft. Lauderdale to Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) they are asking 2X the price for Signature Suites than verandas!!!  I don't know why the price is so much more than usual other than because "they can" and people are paying for it.

~Nancy

The pricing on that itinerary is just weird across the board, at least to my relatively inexperienced eye. When I was trying to decide what type of stateroom I wanted (was willing to pay for), the pricing seemed all over the place. The large insides are astronomically more expensive than some of the oceanviews (I know they’re bigger, but still…), and I cannot figure out why the partially obstructed oceanviews are priced so much higher than the full oceanviews. Maybe it’s down to availability and location, but it seemed odd. (I went frugal and booked a guaranteed inside, since I splurged on the next cruise I’m on a week after the TA. Though if I get a good offer on an upgrade at some point, I might take it.)

• Like 2