Opinion 9 night Explorer or 8 night Symphony of the Seas

In March of 2024 looking at above

i have been on Symphony before (as well as Oasis & Allure) but never on Explorer.  

The Explorer is port intense which I like but not sure how ship will be…when last refurbished, condition of ship, etc.

Any opinions?  

Thanks 

6 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

i have been on Symphony before (as well as Oasis & Allure) but never on Explorer.  

The Explorer is port intense which I like but not sure how ship will be…when last refurbished, condition of ship, etc.

Any opinions?  

Thanks 

The dry dock added nothing but slides. We were on b3b before dry dock. If prices are any where similar, I would go w/ Symphony. Explorer is a bit worn.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, Orange jeep said:

Any opinions?  

Thanks 

Did the 8 night ABC on Explorer last August. Never been on Symphony, but did 9 nights on Harmony 2019. Just so you know my limited experience:) Both JS if it matters, so although rooms a little larger than balconies no "real suite" perks. If traveling upper suites, someone else will have to chime in with the differences.

Do you cruise for the ship or the itinerary? Do you actually use any of the bells and whistles that the Symphony has and the Explorer does not? Explorer does have a flowrider and an Ice Show, does not have the Broadway show. Fewer specialty restaurants on Explorer.

Based on Itinerary alone I would be doing Explorer. Lots of ABC cruises to choose from, not many get down to Grenada, and the ones that do will not be Oasis class (I'm sure someone here will correct me on this if I am wrong 🤪 ).  Explorer is probably one of the larger ships doing that type of itinerary.

Explorer was in decent condition when I sailed her before the last dry dock, and I would not hesitate to sail her again.

I do enjoy the smaller ships personally though. I actually miss Sovereign and Majesty. Three of my 4 RCI cruises since restart have been on Radiance class as they tend to have what I consider nicer itineraries than the same repeating routines of the Oasis class.

Oasis class are beautiful ships, but any chance I get to do an itinerary that is not the basic Oasis class ports I choose that one. Those cruises will always be available, the more unique itineraries not so much.

So if you cruise for the ship, take Symphony, If you want to go places that are a little more infrequent to get to, grab the Explorer.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much your opinion.

I really like the Explorer itinerary and have never been to Grenada.  I need to think this thru after reading your take.

We were on the Seranade of the Seas last June to Alaska and loved that class or ship as we have been on the Jewel twice.

Thank you all for your advise.

1 hour ago, Orange jeep said:

I really like the Explorer itinerary and have never been to Grenada.  I need to think this thru after reading your take.

We were on the Seranade of the Seas last June to Alaska and loved that class or ship as we have been on the Jewel twice.

If Explorer has the itinerary for like, by all means book it.   Oasis class ships will be there for a later cruise. Those larger ships are limited to the ports because of their size.

There will always be someone who will say the ships are dated or worn. I ignore them.

No camo clothes allowed in Granada!  Great place to buy spices, including little woven box assortments for gifts.  Personally I think their vanilla in hand-labeled bottles in the port shop is better than Cinco Soles in Mexico.

On 4/9/2023 at 12:06 AM, Tatka said:

Number of days + quality of ports are important to me. For good itinerary and 12 days we go even on Vision class once a year…

I am finally going on Vision in 10 days just to experience a smaller ship with traditional decor.

I do like Voyager class as well as the larger ships.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

Do go on Explorer as it will have ice show.

and look up in front of ship outside the gym for the peek a boo bridge viewing area.

any time you get to visit a new port, then do so.

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am finally going on Vision in 10 days just to experience a smaller ship with traditional decor.

I do like Voyager class as well as the larger ships.

Last year we did Anthem - Enchantment  - Oasis - Adventure - Anthem 

This year Anthem - Enchantment - Liberty (twice) - Anthem

Next year Anthem - Vision - Symphony - Liberty - Odyssey

We enjoy them all for different things. On smaller ones we love comfortable theaters, closeness of everything (we almost never use elevators) … and all musical venues including Centrum. There is always something going on.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, Tatka said:

Last year we did Anthem - Enchantment  - Oasis - Adventure - Anthem 

This year Anthem - Enchantment - Liberty (twice) - Anthem

Next year Anthem - Vision - Symphony - Liberty - Odyssey

We enjoy them all for different things. On smaller ones we love comfortable theaters, closeness of everything (we almost never use elevators) … and all musical venues including Centrum. There is always something going on.

I love Anthem but glad to see Odyssey coming to Bayone.

I am sailing out of Boston on Celebrity Summit for NE in the fall.  I live going out of Boston.

• Like 1