Not able to choose specific cabin?

cherrytwist

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

Don't know.

I was giving an example, not actually trying to make a booking at the moment.

I do have a booking in another type cabin at the entry level and it is a GTY and I believe at the time I made the booking there were available cabins in that category level. But my TA said only GTY was able to be booked.

While I have seen the pricing difference for non-refundable guarantee vs refundable pick your room, I have not had any problem selecting the cabins I have been interested in for 6 different cruise on the web site, so not sure what is the criteria that others are running into.  A couple of the 6 were in July, 1 in September the others in 2024 so across a range of dates and in different regions.

Is the issue primarily for cabins that have 3 or 4 capacity and people trying to book them with only 2.

Edited by ldtr

I was able to pick a solo room as far out as June 2025 ... didn't book as I was just trying to find out if I could

Granted I want midship balcony but if I wanted that cruise I'd be able to get what I want / where I want / when I want. So no change for me

Edited by Ombud

Ldtr,  while the deluxe cabins and minimum occupancy has been one of the big issues.  (which I had first posted on)  There are other things now going on as well.

While lowest of each category only being GTY might possibly be a factor on the cruise mentioned, on the Emerald.   I do not see that being the case, across the board.   There are several different things going on with cabins being blocked, and very limited, if any, cabins available to those who simply will not book a GTY.

On the cruise I want, the ONLY midship mid-deck balconies are a few up on deck 14.

All others, dozens, ARE BLOCKED for various reasons.

Almost every single one is still available and not 'booked'.

I want a lower deck.  I can't get a lower deck.

Period.

It is a problem.

And, don't get me started on the customer service.

Maybe somebody is lucky.

But, there are many, many, reports of customer service like I have experienced.

AWOL princess planners.

Useless reps on the phone.

People getting disconnected and hung up on.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Yes, it is very frustrating. I booked Enchanted in December and ran into this problem booking every category of balcony. There was no option other than to allow Princess to choose my cabin, which also means that my deposit is under the non-refundable guarantee program even though I booked it under a promo that is supposed to have refundable deposits. The travel agent website doesn't allow agents to select a cabin either. I've never run into this before and hope that we don't end up on a high floor because I get seasick. 

Not sure if this problem is related to the ongoing discussion here, but for the past week this is the screen I get when trying to check prices on our upcoming September European cruise.  What the heck is '$undefined' but yet you can have Princess select your room?

Screenshot 2023-04-10 8.19.58 PM.png

One suggestion I would make is if you cannot book the cabin you want in the refundable status that you want then do not book.

Call Princess customer service, see if they can book what you want, if they cannot be sure to tell them the reason why you did not book.  If they can do it then book and transfer to your TA.

Either way booking under terms you do not want does nothing to get Princess to change their practices.  Losing a number of bookings.  Especially a material number of booking will get their attention far more than any amount of complaint calls or letters if you still book.

In my case it has not impacted what I have been booking so I have booked.  If it did then I would not that simple.

I do have a booking with a good TA at a good rate and perks.

I have considered doing this, but have usually seen these Princess Reps simply say, 'not avialable', Not offereing any options.

I have considered calling Princess again, just as you describe, hoping to get somebody who might be helpful.   At this poiint, it would probably cost more than when we booked when the sailings first opened up.   But, still something to think about.

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Paula,  that is interesting!

Maybe indicates that Princess is still messing around with these booking options?

Is the website still doing this?

Which sailing are you looking at?

The website is still showing this as of this morning. It's the 12 night Oktoberfest European Capitols from Southampton 9/22/23 on the Island.  We have a mini-suite booked with Plus package. That's the pricing I've been trying to check.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We did that very cruise last year!  That has become one of our favorite cruises to date.  I think you'll like it!

We're looking forward to it! We were scheduled on the same cruise initially in 2020, then 2021, and 2022. Of course 2020 & 2021 were cancelled, and we opted to push back 2022 to 2023 to do the original itinerary with Paris & Aarhus.

I read some of your reviews which were helpful in our excursion planning. Thanks! 😊

This is frustrating.  

Must be a glitch.   I've been looking for 2023 Holiday cruises and figured the Deluxe balconies were sold out as only guarantees were available.  Nope. As soon as I put in "3" passengers, they all showed up.  Lots of availability. 

Once again thanks to the folks here for shedding light on the usually incompetent Princess IT department! 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

This is frustrating.  

Must be a glitch.   I've been looking for 2023 Holiday cruises and figured the Deluxe balconies were sold out as only guarantees were available.  Nope. As soon as I put in "3" passengers, they all showed up.  Lots of availability. 

Once again thanks to the folks here for shedding light on the usually incompetent Princess IT department! 😁

May just be that occupancy is up to a level where they want to make sure that the cabins that can hold 3 or more are not used by 2 in early bookings. 

22 minutes ago, ldtr said:

May just be that occupancy is up to a level where they want to make sure that the cabins that can hold 3 or more are not used by 2 in early bookings. 

In the many years we've been cruising Princess, I've never noticed the website do that.  

I'm seeing it on cruises in all months, going into 2024.  Not just holiday cruises.  
As others are seeing the same issue, I think it is more likely a glitch.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

In the many years we've been cruising Princess, I've never noticed the website do that.  

I'm seeing it on cruises in all months, going into 2024.  Not just holiday cruises.  
As others are seeing the same issue, I think it is more likely a glitch.  

Sure in the past.  However in the past Princess handled upgrades differently, in the past Princess was not in the process of creating entirely different classes based upon cabin types.  In the past Princess did not have guarantee cabins not refundable.

Lots of changes from the past.  Could be a glitch. Could be Princess being far more restrictive with 3 and 4 passenger cabins and they are not going to open them for 2 until they see how much demand there is for 3 or 4.

Usually if there is a glitch they tend to put work arounds in place for customer service to book.  Have not heard of any work around at this point.

Again, this is not limited to the 3 and 4 passengers cabins.

If that were the problem, and I truly wanted a cabin that only showed available for more guests, I would do the 'hokey pokey' that has been discussed here on CC before.

The fact is, entire areas/blocks of cabins on certain areas (mid-ship, mid-aft, etc....) are blocked.

Yes, BLOCKED.

They are not being offered first come first served.

As somebody who is booking a cruise shortly after the sailing was offered, I feel that this is just totally disrespectful that I can not get the type, area, deck, or whatever...  that I want or need.

I think this has a LOT to do with trying to maximize profits and to take cabin selection control away from guests.   (non refundable deposits, upgrade bids, etc...)

Sure, hotels do not have individual room selection.

But, hotels are not pre-set cruise voyages with the various factors and issues that go along with cabin location.

I will say this for the like tenth time.

IMHO,   this is a problem.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Again, this is not limited to the 3 and 4 passengers cabins.

If that were the problem, and I truly wanted a cabin that only showed available for more guests, I would do the 'hokey pokey' that has been discussed here on CC before.

The fact is, entire areas/blocks of cabins on certain areas (mid-ship, mid-aft, etc....) are blocked.

Yes, BLOCKED.

They are not being offered first come first served.

As somebody who is booking a cruise shortly after the sailing was offered, I feel that this is just totally disrespectful that I can not get the type, area, deck, or whatever...  that I want or need.

I think this has a LOT to do with trying to maximize profits and to take cabin selection control away from guests.   (non refundable deposits, upgrade bids, etc...)

Sure, hotels do not have individual room selection.

But, hotels are not pre-set cruise voyages with the various factors and issues that go along with cabin location.

I will say this for the like tenth time.

IMHO,   this is a problem.

I agree.  If we do decide to book a holiday cruise, and I cannot work with my TA to choose specific cabins, because we are concerned about location for various reasons,  we will be looking elsewhere.  

Booking only guarantee is a deal breaker for us.   Padgett may have gone too far imho.   

• 7 months later...

Princess is "NOT" going to do anything that they will loose money on, that is a fact of corporate business. When we first started to cruise it was with Princess and 11 cruises later we've stayed with Princess......but back in the day we got perks, upgrades because we were loyal to the brand. Those days are gone, shop the cruise you want with all cruise lines because your loyalty won't earn you anything going down the road. Best price and review wins my cruise now a days.

• Like 1