Starlink Wifi - Carribean

odyssyus

Just off the Infinity doing a short 5 day getaway for the DW and myself.  Stopped in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. 

Purchased the streaming package for 1 and was blown away.  We were able to stream Plex, Youtube Tv, watch a Caps hockey game, make Wi-Fi calls, browse the web, and I even took a few zoom calls.  Using a travel router, we were able to connect both phones, an Amazon firestick and my laptop.  We had a few minor hiccups (less than 5) that typically resolved on their own within minutes.

I'm happy to share how I do my setup if people are interested, however it will take me a few days to type it up w/ pictures so others can follow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

Just off the Infinity doing a short 5 day getaway for the DW and myself.  Stopped in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. 

Purchased the streaming package for 1 and was blown away.  We were able to stream Plex, Youtube Tv, watch a Caps hockey game, make Wi-Fi calls, browse the web, and I even took a few zoom calls.  Using a travel router, we were able to connect both phones, an Amazon firestick and my laptop.  We had a few minor hiccups (less than 5) that typically resolved on their own within minutes.

I'm happy to share how I do my setup if people are interested, however it will take me a few days to type it up w/ pictures so others can follow.

But...was there Prime Rib??  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone know, what Celebrity (and other cruise lines) stands are on doing this?
Someone could argue this is the same as stealing, when you split up the connection with a travel router, and i'm not so happy about being kicked of the ship, if that's what they are able to do.

I know they probably don't enforce it, but what if they one day would?  

9 hours ago, odyssyus said:

I appreciate your thoughtfulness but in the long run you may make it harder for others who own routers to use in the future if you share on here what you did.  Similar to sneaking booze on tricks.  

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I appreciate your thoughtfulness but in the long run you may make it harder for others who own routers to use in the future if you share on here what you did.  Similar to sneaking booze on tricks.  

After careful thought, I agree with your advisement.  

Edited by odyssyus

I use a travel router on cruises.   The process is pretty straightforwared. 

Before the cruise I configure my router with an SSID and Password before leaving home.

When I get to the ship, I log into the ships WiFi and create my account.   I then log off. 

I powerup my travel router and then connect to the WiFi using the SSID and Password I set up at home.

Once I am logged into the travel router, I got into the settings and configure it as a repeater, logging into the ship's wifi with the credentials I created earlier.  

Once the router shows me logged in, I then test by using my iPhone to connect to the travel router and verify I have internet access. 

I realize that is overly simplistic but certain configuration aspects vary depending on the make/model of travel router you have. 

FYI, if your bringing on a laptop anyways, both a Mac and a windows PC has a built in hotspot which does the same thing as a travel router.  Just put "hotspot" into the PC search.  Screenshot from my PC:

image.png.b2ea83d47144bb9a25575921fbe3517d.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

FYI, if your bringing on a laptop anyways, both a Mac and a windows PC has a built in hotspot which does the same thing as a travel router.  Just put "hotspot" into the PC search.  Screenshot from my PC:

image.png.b2ea83d47144bb9a25575921fbe3517d.png

As said "Mobile Hotspot", which means it can share a Mobile connection over Wifi.

If you want to share a Wifi Network, you need a PC (or Mac) with two network adapters, otherwise it wouldn't work.

37 minutes ago, sgadk87 said:

As said "Mobile Hotspot", which means it can share a Mobile connection over Wifi.

If you want to share a Wifi Network, you need a PC (or Mac) with two network adapters, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Negative with two adapters (for a PC, not sure about a Mac) and anyone can validate right now by turning on your PC's mobile hotspot, put your phone on airplane and connect to the PC's wifi hotspot...Have successfully done this on a PC (never tried on a Mac) on X nearly all my sailings in the past year...

Sounds like you believe PC should remove the word "Mobile"

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Negative with two adapters (for a PC, not sure about a Mac) and anyone can validate right now by turning on your PC's mobile hotspot, put your phone on airplane and connect to the PC's wifi hotspot...Have successfully done this on a PC (never tried on a Mac) on X nearly all my sailings in the past year...

Sounds like you believe PC should remove the word "Mobile"

True story. In this case "mobile" doesn't mean "phone"

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Maybe to you, but you might as well have been speaking Greek up there...

Sorry - without a lot of pictures, which I am may do when I do my live review of my upcoming cruise, I don't know how to make it any simpler.