Global TSA worth the $100

It definitely helps reduce the time you have to wait in customs.  We just received our cards 2 weeks ago.  You can apply but may not have enough time to complete the process before you travel.  There are very few Global entry interview centers that are currently open with available appointments.  We live in North Carolina and had to fly to Miami airport to get an interview appointment as that was the closest to us that was open.  

You apply, then get pre approved.  That can take several weeks.  Once pre approved you can then schedule an appointment for your interview.  We were told at the interview appointment that we had been approved and our card came in the mail a few weeks later.  

If you get pre approved I think you can also complete your Global Entry interview when you return to the US.  I don’t know exactly how it works or if it cuts down time on your Customs wait.  

If you decide to do it you will want to start the process immediately.  

Edited by tomberly

We get it because the Credit Cards we have reimburse us the $100 fee so it is essentially a no-brainer, even if we take a single trip.  It does take some effort to get and go through the appointment process especially if you don't live in a big city.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre, is worth it if you fly to the United States a couple times a year or more.

Important caveat entered in bold above. Despite the use of the word "Global", it offers no benefits other than on entry to the US, of course. 

Slightly odd thread for a Western Europe board 😀

19 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Important caveat entered in bold above. Despite the use of the word "Global", it offers no benefits other than on entry to the US, of course. 

Slightly odd thread for a Western Europe board 😀

Not exactly.  Global Entry includes TSA Pre, which is used on every flight in the US.

Global Entry includes TSA Pre Check and the fast track line through customs when entering the US.  It is of no benefit in other countries.  You can apply online and complete the process when you return on an international flight or schedule an appointment.  The appointments are limited but frequently will open up, especially with last minute cancellations.  Once you are approved, schedule an appointment and keep checking back.  The one time I have used it, I saved about 25 minutes which was great since I had a tight connection.  Unfortunately there were staffing issues and I ended up spending the time I saved waiting to claim my luggage only to walk it through customs and put it back to be checked.  

On 4/9/2023 at 7:49 AM, Moxiefurball said:

I don’t travel that often, just taking a Europe trip late summer this year.  Thought?

Just to give you a real-world example, we just flew back from Dublin where you clear US customs in Dublin (as opposed to arriving in the United States). Although the Global Entry kiosks would have breezed us to the front of the line, there was no line 🙂 so it didn't make a bit of difference. On the other hand, my sister and her daughter came back from a European trip and cleared customs at IAH (Houson). They were in line for over an hour after a long fight and tiring trip. She would have gladly paid $100 for that one global entry had she known.

~Denise