Vases in Grand Dutch Cafe

Suzanne123

I bought a couple of the vases that are used in the Grand Dutch Cafe and wondered if anyone knew which other flowers are used on the vases. I bought red tulip and orange poppy.  Now my neighbors all want their favorites.  Next question, will the Eurodam have them for sale?

5A29ADF4-3007-4544-BD61-14BFC2D518AD.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

I bought a couple of the vases that are used in the Grand Dutch Cafe and wondered if anyone knew which other flowers are used on the vases. I bought red tulip and orange poppy.  Now my neighbors all want their favorites.  Next question, will the Eurodam have them for sale?

5A29ADF4-3007-4544-BD61-14BFC2D518AD.jpeg

The vases are available for sale on the HAL site so I would think they should be available on any of the HAL ships.  If you pre-order I would think (hope) you would receive them.

Go to manage your bookings and under flowers you will see the different patterns available.

• Like 2

You can pre-order them. Look under Packages & Gifts then Flowers in Manage My Bookings. When I asked for another CCer while on Eurodam, the answer was to see the onboard florist if there wasn't a floral arranging activity. Sometimes they have extras.

• Like 2

Scrolling through eBay looking for Holland America Line vases, found only a few and not the flower ones you are looking for.  I looked in the gift shops on the Konigsdam and they were out of stock - so hope they do have them on your next cruise. 

However, I did find an offer for "rare" Holland America slippers - shaped like a fuzzy blue hulled HAL ship, with the smoke stack fashioned as sock tube - and it can be yours for only $75 dollars!

That is right up there with those big fuzzy orange "wooden shoes" others have threatened to wear on Orange Night.

Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 9.25.25 AM.png

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

I first saw these vases on Rotterdam last November and thought they are so cheery looking!  As mentioned, they are available online in my booking and now are offered with some of the onboard flower arrangements.  After my next cruise I'll be going on extended land travel so can't get one this time but I will sometime if I'm going straight home from a cruise.  

@Suzanne123 I think this one has an Iris flower.

image.png.1c0b5729064961486e80f952d8819ab4.png
Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bringing this old thread back up - somebody said these were available in a flower arranging class. Is that offered on most cruises? If yes I'll want to do it so I won't preorder - if no, I'll order ahead on an arrangement!

@loveandpeas yes the vases are for sale during the flower arranging presentation; they aren't in the gift shops (at least not on any cruises I've done past 5 years). Usually the presentation is the first sea day, but the past 2 cruises it's been on the last sea day, so just be sure to check the planner - it's only done once per week. Arrive early as it fills up quickly.

Some florists will give away the arrangements they make during the show - Feb on NA he did a drawing  - I won first week, sister won 2nd week, so be sure to get tickets if they're giving them out. But they're not in the vases you want - gotta buy those.

You can buy them individually or discounted for 2. There are several different patterns, all handpainted. If you're on a B2B and he's out of what you want, let him know - he may be able to get it for you for the 2nd week.

They are also available on the day when they have the "sale" tables out in the aisle. I think it was on deck 2. The sale has some watches, earrings, scarves, purses etc and vases.

Edited by QuattroRomeo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

Lovely thank you! My mom collects HAL mugs, I think I need a small collection of the vases in my life. 

Absolutely, for sure!! They bring a smile every time I see one and always stir up a good cruise memory when I see one.

Just looked at the statement from Feb cruise - single vases were $17.50, 2 for $30. I think for signed  handpainted vase that's reasonable. 

The florist should have some at his show that you haven't seen in the GDC.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:02 AM, QuattroRomeo said:

They are also available on the day when they have the "sale" tables out in the aisle. I think it was on deck 2. The sale has some watches, earrings, scarves, purses etc and vases.

Yes, the table was set up

one day only on our R’dam sailing recently. Prices were very good and we

purchased several. 

54 minutes ago, PoppyBanks said:

Yes, the table was set up

one day only on our R’dam sailing recently. Prices were very good and we

purchased several. 

If you're in a Neptune suite, the lounge concierge can order them for you.

I ordered mine at the guest service desk. They had a binder of the available choices. I got 2 bow vases and the rectangle one. They make a very nice grouping.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1