Has anyone done an Alaska cruise in September lately?

thermal

September is listed as one of the historically rainiest times to visit Alaska.  I live near Vancouver, Canada, and the last several years September has been fairly warm and dry.  I'm wondering if Alaska has been experiencing a change in seasonal weather as well?  There's some great Alaska cruise deals in September, and I'm wondering what kind of weather people have been having. 

Thank you kindly. 

Edited by thermal

I've cruised in May and September for the past few years.  We were able to get closer to the glaciers in September.  That said, September definitely was rainier and colder.  Not bone chilling cold, but definitely wet.  

There's a reason September tends to be the least expensive.  

I actually think May is a bit of a secret.  Beginning of the season also tends to be less expensive, but it also tends to be dry.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 3

Early September can be spectacular and there's a good chance of seeing the Northern Lights (if you can find a dark spot on the ship).  The later in September, the higher the chance for rain or the dread low pressure systems that blow in with 40 knot winds.

1 hour ago, libtrek said:

We did Alaska last September. Bummed, no glacier viewing.

Which glacier were you supposed to go to?  Glacier Bay is pretty much 100% guarantee, but Hubbard can be tricky, and Tracy Arm is almost impossible in a big ship.  I've only been to Dawes once on a smaller ship, but we did get all the way there.  

We did Alaska in Mid-September back in 2017. Maybe we were just lucky but other than a bit of fog at Mendenhall in Juneau early on, we really lucked out with the weather. It was sunny in Ketchikan and also clear and sunny in Glacier Bay! Also had great weather in Skagway...we made it up to Carcross and Emerald Lake. 

We are doing another cruise next month (mid-May) so we will see if it's any different. 

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Which glacier were you supposed to go to?  Glacier Bay is pretty much 100% guarantee, but Hubbard can be tricky, and Tracy Arm is almost impossible in a big ship.  I've only been to Dawes once on a smaller ship, but we did get all the way there.  

We were on Bliss and it was Tracy Arm. This time we will be in June, smaller ship, and Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

Mid to late September can be hit or miss weatherwise.  I worked at Pier 91 during the 2021 season, and there were storm after storm off the coast for a good week that September.  I remember giving passengers a letter from the cruise line notifying them that some port-of-calls were being cancelled due to expected storm conditions.  We had one Princess ship that stayed overnight (sail-a-way was scheduled for 4 PM), but left the next morning at 5 or 6 AM.  

I, myself was on the Celebrity Millennium for it's last Alaska run in 2021 and again, there was a bad storm off the Washington coast.  Our Captain received permission to change our route, and sail thru the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the Canadian Mainland.  Whereas, the Ovation OTS which was also sailing that day, had to stick to it's original route and sail along the Washington coast.  Ironically, once the storm had passed, the local Alaska weather was actually pretty good. 

You just never know...

This season, I am on on of the first May sailings.  I am looking forward to experiencing that.

• Like 1

What @lobsternight said - except mid September of 2021 🙂

Liquid Sunshine in the morning in Juneau, tee shirts and shorts the rest of the cruise.😎

I topped up my tan pretty nicely on the waterfront on the Encore👍

It really is a crapshoot any time, more chance of rain later, better glaciers earlier...just hope we don't "Crap Out" this time🤪

We lucked out and only had one day of rain, and it did come sideways.  Still we did get off the ship but it wasn't very pleasant.  We couldn't really enjoy our balcony much because quite soon after leaving Seattle temperatures dropped and the sea was rough in spots going up and back.  On the plus side, we don't mind the cooler weather and just planned for it including warm footwear, rain jackets, and warm clothing.  We had a great stop at Hoonah and they had a big fire ready for us when we arrived which was great.  If you hope to do alot in terms of excursions, maybe early September vs late September might get you better weather.   

We sailed out of Seattle last fall departing September 18 on Discovery Princess, had some beautiful weather here and there, some rain in Juneau, sun in Ketchikan, and partly cloudy in Sitka. Day at Dawes glacier was wonderful and we were able to get up close to the glacier for good photos. That was our third time going in September and I loved it. Sadly the we didn't see the northern lights that trip due to cloud cover, but previously we have.  I wouldn't hesitate to go in September. It wasn't very cold ever. Ports were all open and excursions plentiful.

We're going again here in a few weeks first week of May - should be much colder. :) 

On 4/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, GmaCruzer said:

What about mid October? Is there anything still open?  Don't mind cold weather but will it be rainy? What about trips to glaciers?

I was on Norwegian Bliss mid-October of last year. We made all our ports, it was cold and rainy most of the time, and the weather was too rough to board the park rangers on glacier day. We did not sail to the top of Glacier Bay due to fog and ice.

Ports are definitely NOT bustling that late in the year (personally I enjoyed the laid-back vibe, but it would not be for everyone, for sure)