Lobster tails

Can every one enlighten me please. I have always wondered as to why in the Main Dining Room on the Royal Caribbean ships that are based in Australia the first lobster tail is NOT free but come with a charge however North American cruise guests can order their 1st lobster tail without incurring a charge. I have even asked dining staff and Customer Services about this matter and no one appears to know the reason why. 

Hello,

Costing is a science, pricing is an art - albeit a 'black art'. The 'art' is how much you think you can get away with before the customer base revolts. Clearly RCI thinks it can get away with charging the Aussies whereas it cannot get away with charging Americans. And don't get started on the filet!

What it does here I cannot say as I don't do fish.

Regards,

Cublet

You may be right Cublet. I have noticed on my cruises that Aussies don't 'revolt' if something is unfair they just moan a lot and do very little if anything to correct the situation, they just pay up.  My comment is bound to get me thrown out of Australia 😅

Edited by hinterlandboyz2

6 hours ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

Can every one enlighten me please. I have always wondered as to why in the Main Dining Room on the Royal Caribbean ships that are based in Australia the first lobster tail is NOT free but come with a charge however North American cruise guests can order their 1st lobster tail without incurring a charge. I have even asked dining staff and Customer Services about this matter and no one appears to know the reason why. 

How come you always wondered if change to “1 free” happened during last months? It was unlimited free before. 

Also I believe competition on North American market is more fierce. I think with a time they may remove lobster at all. NCL did. Who knows? Honestly … maybe I’m picky and from New England, but lobster isn’t that great on cruises anyway.  

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

Lobster night was only offered on North American itinararies on RCL, hence this is nothing new. You have the possibility to purchase Lobster Tails each evening on each cruise in the MDR.

What is new is, that on the lobster night, on cruises where it's offered, you are charged if you ask for a additional lobster tail.

18 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Lobster night was only offered on North American itinararies on RCL, hence this is nothing new. You have the possibility to purchase Lobster Tails each evening on each cruise in the MDR.

What is new is, that on the lobster night, on cruises where it's offered, you are charged if you ask for a additional lobster tail.

So, any sails out of Australia there was no free lobster offer.  Don't understand why all of this commotion.  Revolution--Please!

By the way, I haven't sailed on other mass market cruise lines in a while--policy same or different.

Edited by nelblu

11 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Could also be due to the fact lobsters are bought from Canada now, used to be from Caribbeans. Logistics.

To tell you the truth, they don't taste of look any different. 

9 hours ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

I noticed on the App that your can order lobster on nights OTHER than the typical lobster night for a fee of course. I wonder if that is what the OP is seeing or if RCI is charging for lobster every night including the typical lobster night. 

5 minutes ago, Subman738 said:

I noticed on the App that your can order lobster on nights OTHER than the typical lobster night for a fee of course. I wonder if that is what the OP is seeing or if RCI is charging for lobster every night including the typical lobster night. 

If you read some of the comments, outside of North America, I don't believe you get lobster on lobster night.  I asked the question of the Op if Australians were getting the free lobster(s) on the special night pre or post pandemic.  Did not receive an answer.

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

To tell you the truth, they don't taste of look any different. 

I know, but they are sourced from Canada. They are frozen before cooked, which could be a reason. I live in New England and only eat them, because they are served for free.. At home we buy only fresh lobsters.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hinterlandboyz2 said:

You may be right Cublet. I have noticed on my cruises that Aussies don't 'revolt' if something is unfair they just moan a lot and do very little if anything to correct the situation, they just pay up.  My comment is bound to get me thrown out of Australia 😅

Hello,

This reminds of the joke I heard many times in OZ when I first moved there: How do you know that a plane load of Poms has landed at the airport? Because the whining goes on after the engines have stopped.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 1