Need hotel near airport near port in Auckland, NZ

oskidunker

Cruise in New Zealand in 2025. Arriving about 9 am. Lv sfo 10:45 pm night before.  Did a search and could not find anything nice near the airport. Marriott 10 mikes away. Is it better to stay near the portL probably going in 2 days early . I know its far off but trying to get ideas. Flying business so we will get some sleep.. 

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Cruise in New Zealand in 2025. Arriving about 9 am. Lv sfo 10:45 pm night before.  Did a search and could not find anything nice near the airport. Marriott 10 mikes away. Is it better to stay near the portL probably going in 2 days early . I know it’s far off but trying to get ideas. Flying business so we will get some sleep.

We are also going to NZ in 2025 and although we aren’t doing the pre extension, we are going to use the same hotel that Viking uses:

M Social Auckland

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

Shower seems open to room with no doir. Curious if there is a door you can close to the toilet. Some hotels are leaving this open

I haven't done that research yet either lol.  But I'll get to it soonish.

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Cruise in New Zealand in 2025. Arriving about 9 am. Lv sfo 10:45 pm night before.  Did a search and could not find anything nice near the airport. Marriott 10 mikes away. Is it better to stay near the portL probably going in 2 days early . I know its far off but trying to get ideas. Flying business so we will get some sleep.. 

Haven't stayed in a hotel in Auckland, but my suggestion would be to find one downtown, rather than at the airport. Auckland has a great downtown area, which has been redeveloped over the past 20 years.

We stayed for 5 nights pre-cruise in 2019 at the M-Social and loved it.  Front Desk and Concierge staff were great (Concierge helped us book a tour to Piha Beach - beautiful!).  Location could not be beat - you're right on the waterfront, walking distance to many restaurants and the ferry docks are right down the street (take the ferry over to Waiheke Island or over to Devonport).  We were on a Celebrity cruise, but I think most cruise ships dock in the same area, which is right across the street from the M - took us 5 minutes to walk!

And if I recall, the bathrooms have blinds that pull down and a pocket door.  But that was 3+ years ago so I may not be remembering correctly!   🙃

• Thanks 1

Our TA got us a good deal at the plush Park Hyatt Auckland, right on the harbor, less than a mile from the wharves. It's a great location for strolling and sightseeing We were there in January during record breaking rains - 12" in 24 hours - and actually appreciated being 'forced' to remain in and savor our elegant and well-appointed shelter.

• Like 1

Pick any hotel downtown - one that fits what YOU want to do when in Auckland.

Far too much worry by many about being "close to the port".  If you are 2 blocks or 2 miles, you're still getting into a cab for that final leg to the ship.  I know of few people that walk to the ship, dragging their bags.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Our TA got us a good deal at the plush Park Hyatt Auckland, right on the harbor, less than a mile from the wharves. It's a great location for strolling and sightseeing We were there in January during record breaking rains - 12" in 24 hours - and actually appreciated being 'forced' to remain in and savor our elegant and well-appointed shelter.

Amazing - we stayed at the PH thru the same storm! A wild night.   Nice location, and very quiet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Auckland Hilton isn't bad, and at the docks. Easy walk to ship or up into town

Hilton is in a prime location. I would not stay near the airport, the wharf location is really nice. It is pretty and you will have everything you need in one easy location. We did not stay at the Hilton, and I cannot remember the name of the hotel (they called it an apartment) we stayed in. It was really nice and had a kitchenette, and washer/dryer. From anywhere in the wharf area it is an easy walk to the port. With that said, we decided to take a taxi and were very happy we did. It was a quick trip and he took us to the exact door we needed to enter at the port. They were doing construction nearby and it was a mess to get through pulling luggage. 

We did extra days in Auckland before our cruise in December last year & stayed in two different hotels. For the first couple of days we stayed at the Park Hyatt in the Wynyard Corner of Auckland. What a beautiful, amazing hotel. This hotel was a treat. It's across the harbor from the port area with balconies & beautiful views of downtown. It was an easy walk to the CBD and the area it is in has been turned into all sort of restaurants. It is a bit of a walk to where the boat docks though with all your luggage. We moved to the M Social once the Viking extension started. It was basically directly across the street from the boat. It was a bit of a zoo at breakfast time, though the breakfast was good, & with people everyone checking in and out. It was a fine hotel. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:39 PM, Heidi13 said:

Haven't stayed in a hotel in Auckland, but my suggestion would be to find one downtown, rather than at the airport. Auckland has a great downtown area, which has been redeveloped over the past 20 years.

I second this.  There were some nice hotels in downtown Auckland, near where Viking docks.  If you are spending extra time here, I’d rather be near here (I believe it is Princess Wharf) than the airport.  
Viking docks in walking distance of all this activity.

oskidunker, I agree with the posters suggesting that you book a hotel close to the port.  That gives you lots of options, and you can choose what is most important for you to make your final decision.  

We have stayed at the Hilton at Princes Wharf and loved our stay.  However, there is little privacy on the balconies during the day because of the ships docking right there, and there can be a lot of noise from ships who are right beside the hotel.  The wharf can be very busy which, depending upon what you like, is either a positive or a negative. Depending upon where Viking docks, walking with luggage is easy, and there is lots of night life close by.  Prices, because of the location, are much higher than some of the other areas, and you are in the centre of the cruise passenger area. 

In 2019, we stayed at the Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour in a marina deluxe ocean view.  This is more of a condo hotel.  It worked well for us as the view was fabulous; we sat on the balcony with our drinks and "take out" food from a restaurant close by on the first evening.  We bought groceries the next morning and loved the location (check out google maps).  We also had all the facilities for dining in, laundry, having separate areas to go to when we were adjusting differently to the time zone changes, and still were close to the cruise wharfs and "tourist attractions".  

If you choose to spend more time before your cruise, Waiheke Island is fabulous and another option for a place to stay.  There are also day tours that go from Auckland to the island.  One does have to travel by ferry so this might not be an option you would choose.

• Like 1