Renting a car need a good itinerary

Ravensfan1973

Rented a car for the day for our November cruise on Adventure of Seas.  I've been in Aruba once but like 17 years ago.  Need a good itinerary to explore.  We'd like to see the lighthouse and a good beach or two.  What do you recommend for about 7 or 8 hours?  TIA

Mangel halto has great snorkeling but you have to go past the rocks and battle some waves but you will be rewarded.  Boca Catalina has pretty good snorkeling and much easier.  Neither place has facilities.  I have invested in using a sand brush instead of water to get sand off my feet before getting in car rental.

We have a small cooler that we have had our room attendant put ice in and we have stocked with soda and water.  We also make pit stops at grocery stores for things like pretzels and crackers.  

We have visited donkey sanctuary, Philips garden, ostrich farm.  We also drove down to the natural bridge and the mines which is near ostrich farm.  

2 hours ago, pjhootch said:

Where are you renting cars or jeeps from?  Anyone have experience and recommendations? We have been to Aruba quite a few times and think renting a car or jeep next time is the best idea.

Thanks

We are going through Top Drive with a Freedom Jeep. $160-ish for the entire day with insurance

• 2 months later...

We were there today and went to our favorite places. We did the animal sanctuary, the butterfly farm, had lunch at P F Changs, then spent the rest of the day at Arashi beach sipping cocktails, swimming, and snorkeling. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Am in Aruba in Feb and trying to decide about renting a car also. we have a long port day 8am-9pm so would love to see a few different things on the island. Love to snorkel and see a few posts mentioning where the good places for that are. Commenting hoping this thread gets a little more action from people who have done the rental car thing

We're not there until March, so I cannot update the thread yet, but we also rented from Top Drive (minivan because there are 6 of us). I just wanted to let people know that there is a "beach package" you can add on to your reservation that includes chairs, a cooler and snorkel equipment for $20.  

• 5 weeks later...

I have rented a car in Aruba both on cruises and for land vacations. It is extremely easy. It is difficult to get lost since the island is so small.  You can download offline map app called maps.me. I don’t understand how it works, but it does. You don’t need cell service to be able to see where you are and how to get around. You just need to download the appropriate map while you have WiFi. However, I usually buy an eSIM for my international travel which gives me reliable service wherever I go. 

Parking has never been an issue either. All the major beaches have plenty of public parking. Palm beach we park either in the Jolly Roger parking lot or in the parking lot across from the Hyatt. See map screenshot both areas circled in red. 

We never have gotten a parking ticket or had any problems whatsoever. In the center of Oranjestad, it is a little more tricky, but you can visit on foot there before you pick up or after you drop off. All of the companies have the same pickup and drop off spot. It is an easy walk from the pier. I have marked it in red. 

We have used Royal car rental in Aruba when we cruise. They have always worked well for us. For land vacations, we use Wheels2Go.  I don’t think that they deliver to the cruise port though. Roads are well marked. There are a lot of roundabouts. Make sure you are familiar with how to navigate them. Drivers are generally courteous and gas is easy to get. 

i have a jeep rented through Royal for my upcoming cruise in March of ‘24. We are looking forward to a great day in Aruba!

IMG_1258.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, khm1 said:

I have rented a car in Aruba both on cruises and for land vacations. It is extremely easy. It is difficult to get lost since the island is so small.  You can download offline map app called maps.me. I don’t understand how it works, but it does. You don’t need cell service to be able to see where you are and how to get around. You just need to download the appropriate map while you have WiFi. However, I usually buy an eSIM for my international travel which gives me reliable service wherever I go. 

Parking has never been an issue either. All the major beaches have plenty of public parking. Palm beach we park either in the Jolly Roger parking lot or in the parking lot across from the Hyatt. See map screenshot both areas circled in red. 

We never have gotten a parking ticket or had any problems whatsoever. In the center of Oranjestad, it is a little more tricky, but you can visit on foot there before you pick up or after you drop off. All of the companies have the same pickup and drop off spot. It is an easy walk from the pier. I have marked it in red. 

We have used Royal car rental in Aruba when we cruise. They have always worked well for us. For land vacations, we use Wheels2Go.  I don’t think that they deliver to the cruise port though. Roads are well marked. There are a lot of roundabouts. Make sure you are familiar with how to navigate them. Drivers are generally courteous and gas is easy to get. 

i have a jeep rented through Royal for my upcoming cruise in March of ‘24. We are looking forward to a great day in Aruba!

IMG_1258.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

Great information khm 1. Thanks for your post.

• Like 1