What kind of people are p&o trying to attract?

Vampiress88

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

News to me that Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura are leaving the fleet within two years.

It may be slightly more than two years but they will go as they are getting older and older(as are we!) With no more ships ordered they will be down to two ships.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

At least their clean. Following on if your concerns are correct all the RCI and MSC ships won't be welcome either.  Might as well shut up shop all round!

Though it is very dramatic rules there will be no exceptions and they include cargo ships but excluds ferries. I don't know how it will work or be policed but it was voted in  at the Barcelona convention by 22 countries.

1 minute ago, Yorkypete said:

I would hate to see any go but all the lines seem to think gigantic is better so my cruising days will be over.

That’s a shame. We started cruising on smaller ships - Oriana our first on P &O, then moved on to larger ones, Arcadia, Ventura, Britannia and Azura. We then moved up again to Iona this year and are booked on Arvia next year. All our cruises provided different experiences and that’s what we love. You never get bored!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It will still leave Azura, Ventura and Britannia which very few over 60 dislike.  There are only one or two on here who are adamant nothing other than Aurora and Arcadia will do.  

My aunt returned to Fred in January on Bolette.  Although her experience was complicated by catching covid she has stated she won't ever sail on an older vessel again because it simply didn't compete with her Princess cruises in Regal and Sky last year.  We are now looking at round Britain cruises for her later in the year but the older ships are not featuring on any line.

Not a good idea to just write off P&O based on the two big girls, many are very happy with her smaller mid sized sisters.  Judging by how many on here are enjoying Azura's fly cruises I'm guessing itinerary changes are more likely to be a problem than the ships.

We like the Azura, been on it 3 times, the first time was our first cruise, never been on Ventura, 2 cruises on Oceania & the Aurora, but only one on Britannia, something about it we didn’t like but couldn’t quite put our finger on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkypete said:

It may be slightly more than two years but they will go as they are getting older and older(as are we!) With no more ships ordered they will be down to two ships.

Pete, you're a right private Frazer when it comes to P&O's future.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Pete, you're a right private Frazer when it comes to P&O's future.

I am old enough to remember that only it was not my favourite show. Re P&O, it is only an opinion based on the things I read and hear and from my experience on the ships.

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

They will certainly NOT dock at ports big enough. Many if not all ports in the Med are due to ban all vessels which do not comply with the new regulations voted for at the 2020 convention re pollution and air quality. Many other areas have or are following suit inc most of Norway.

But ships can be re/retro-fitted to comply with regulations. Ambassador has done this and state that their ships (of 24 and 32 years of age) are in the top 10 - 15% of ships environmentally...

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

But ships can be re/retro-fitted to comply with regulations. Ambassador has done this and state that their ships (of 24 and 32 years of age) are in the top 10 - 15% of ships environmentally...

I don't know what they have done nor what their emissions are but the rule coming in is that emissions of over 0.1% will be banned from the Med. I am not sufficiently qualified to say if any ships  fit this figure.

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

They have upgraded just 1 of their 2 ships so far the second is currently undergoing the same process as the Ambience did last year in dry dock in Hamburg. The changes go beyond just emissions and include changes to how food waste and sewage are dealt with, banning of single use plastics onboard, reducing paper usage etc. Shipping has until 1 May 2025 to comply with the new IMO regulations for the Mediterranean, should keep the shipyards busy for a while. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Ventura entered service April 2008

Independence of the Seas christened Southampton 30 April 2008, first voyage 2 May 2008

What's your opinion on Indy's future, doubt you want her to be gone as she's your favourite?

P&O will be down to 2 ships

Iona  Arvia and Britannia.  Mark my words just those 3. My friend told me.🤣

• Haha 7

At captain's welcome party he mentioned the 2025 brochure included Aurora. Hope she continues until then but nothing is guaranteed.  However, a lot of money has obviously been spent on her recently,  particularly all the new deck furniture and tv's (could do with both on Ventura!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

At captain's welcome party he mentioned the 2025 brochure included Aurora. Hope she continues until then but nothing is guaranteed.  However, a lot of money has obviously been spent on her recently,  particularly all the new deck furniture and tv's (could do with both on Ventura!)

Small cost for what costs of cruises on Aurora are currently. Furniture is moveable so could be used on other ships and if a buyer comes along P&O will have no worry about selling her like they did with Oriana. Personally think it's a small price for P&O to pay to keep clientele happy and paying high prices. Personally even though they are pushing summer 2025 think Aurora and Arcadia will be gone if not by then but soon after. By 2025 Aurora will be 25yrs old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

P&O will be down to 2 ships

Iona  Arvia and Britannia.  Mark my words just those 3. My friend told me.🤣

It's getting like the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch:

P&O will be down to 2 ships, Arvia, Iona & Britiannia......

3 ships! Arvia, Iona, Britannia & Azura.....

4 ships!....

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

To get back to Vamp's original question - "what kind of people are P&O trying to attract?". It's us - all of us on here who can have a really good laugh, enjoy each other's company, make the most of whatever is on offer, and know how to have a good time, with or without the alcohol! Happy Shiny People is my favourite REM track and I'd love to join you all in the promo video dance (look it up on the net) - we could knock the socks off all the detractors!!!!! Jane xxx

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, Beckett said:

To get back to Vamp's original question - "what kind of people are P&O trying to attract?". It's us - all of us on here who can have a really good laugh, enjoy each other's company, make the most of whatever is on offer, and know how to have a good time, with or without the alcohol! Happy Shiny People is my favourite REM track and I'd love to join you all in the promo video dance (look it up on the net) - we could knock the socks off all the detractors!!!!! Jane xxx

It's actually 'Shiny Happy People' but I take your point!😄

• Thanks 1