Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

On 5/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, Jim_Iain said:

The main reason we chose to start looking at other lines is Celebrity's decisions to strip all the benefits  which for Zenith's Traveling in Suites previously got for free and now only offer all inclusive pricing.  

Am curious to know what benefits are being taken away from Zeniths. Could you share more information?

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Any stops in Duluth, MN?

Unfortunately no.   We begin in Milwaukee so will miss Lake Superior and have stops in Mackinac Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Little Current, Sailing Lake Huron, Perry Sound, Sail by detroit and Port Colborne (for Niagara Falls) ending in Toronto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nado44 said:

Am curious to know what benefits are being taken away from Zeniths. Could you share more information?

Basically the biggest complaint is that Zenith's lost access to Retreat unless traveling in a Suite.   We initially thought we would travel more in Aqua and having access to Retreat would be a good experience.   They dropped it originally due to Covid and then made it permanent.

Other benefits of Free Premium Drink Package, Free Premium Internet were pretty much eliminated when they shifted to All Inclusive -  In the past you could purchase a cruise only fare for about a thousands less and just pay for tips.    Now at least in my mind is I'm paying for something I use to get for free.     Also Free Laundry is a great perk if in SS or CS but in upper suites this benefit also disappears as it is a perk.

Additionally they use to have Zenith Get Together Lunches on all cruises.   They now are inconsistent and on some ships they have them for as few as 6 Zenith's while others insist there is a Corporate Mandate that they only do one if 15 or more Zeniths are aboard on a cruise.     Of course with a private Zenith Group on the Social Media Site pictures are posted weekly and the inconsistency causes hard feelings.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Basically the biggest complaint is that Zenith's lost access to Retreat unless traveling in a Suite.   We initially thought we would travel more in Aqua and having access to Retreat would be a good experience.   They dropped it originally due to Covid and then made it permanent.

Other benefits of Free Premium Drink Package, Free Premium Internet were pretty much eliminated when they shifted to All Inclusive -  In the past you could purchase a cruise only fare for about a thousands less and just pay for tips.    Now at least in my mind is I'm paying for something I use to get for free.     Also Free Laundry is a great perk if in SS or CS but in upper suites this benefit also disappears as it is a perk.

Additionally they use to have Zenith Get Together Lunches on all cruises.   They now are inconsistent and on some ships they have them for as few as 6 Zenith's while others insist there is a Corporate Mandate that they only do one if 15 or more Zeniths are aboard on a cruise.     Of course with a private Zenith Group on the Social Media Site pictures are posted weekly and the inconsistency causes hard feelings.

Jim, my short-term fix (will be trying other lines next year) is to book a regular cabin on an S-class ship, preferably Silhouette or Reflection, and dine in specialty restaurants.  The all-inclusive upcharges for Aqua and Sky Suites are especially annoying if you're solo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for the info. Am expecting to reach the Zenith level later this year and was wondering.

I hope the Zeniths collectively and proactively lobby for Retreat access. I think it's a reasonable and justified request. If I'm not mistaken, the Pinnacles over at RCL had their Suite Lounge access restored.

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Jim, my short-term fix (will be trying other lines next year) is to book a regular cabin on an S-class ship, preferably Silhouette or Reflection, and dine in specialty restaurants.  The all-inclusive upcharges for Aqua and Sky Suites are especially annoying if you're solo. 

I can understand your predicament.   It just doesn't seem fair that you pay the higher amount x2 if a Solo.    Maybe book as you suggested and be prepared to bid heavy on an Upgrade.  

A while back we did that.   We booked an Aqua and knowing what the difference in pricing was, felt comfortable to bid for an upgrade in line with pricing.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I believe I will do the Comparison here on Celebrity.    The Ponant Board is VERY SMALL and I would feel like I was taking it over.   They only have 15 pages of posts and most posts have fewer than 10 replies. 

I think that's a good idea Jim. Seems like many of us Celebrity loyalists are considering other options and itineraries. We're on the point of joining friends on a Scenic Eclipse Antarctica cruise out of Dunedin. I cant even find a Scenic Ocean Cruise forum on CC. Look forward to your Ponant adventure.

• Like 1

Thanks again, and I think you should make a contribution to the December cruise I just booked on the Apex because of this.

(KIDDING)

I hate to admit, though, that there is a 6 day on Symphony of the Seas that fronts to this, and we're tentatively booked on that, since I've decided to try new lines.  

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Unfortunately no.   We begin in Milwaukee so will miss Lake Superior and have stops in Mackinac Island, Sault Ste. Marie, Little Current, Sailing Lake Huron, Perry Sound, Sail by detroit and Port Colborne (for Niagara Falls) ending in Toronto.

That's to bad I would have used it as an excuse to make the drive, but sounds like a great trip.

BTW, I was born in Milwaukee.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:37 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, first of all, thanks again for your great review. Based on your reviews over the years I have been able to provide the DW with possible cruises of our own!!

When will you be arriving here in Milwaukee for your upcoming cruise? My wife was born here and it's been my home since 1981. Happy to answer any questions or make suggestions...

On 5/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, Jim_Iain said:

No stops in Detroit either?  I'll need to come out in my fishing boat and waive as you sail by.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting stops.  Wave to us as you pass Detroit.  Mackinac Island is fun.  When are you sailing?  Hope to meet up again with you.  

On 5/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, Nado44 said:

Thanks for the info. Am expecting to reach the Zenith level later this year and was wondering.

I hope the Zeniths collectively and proactively lobby for Retreat access. I think it's a reasonable and justified request. If I'm not mistaken, the Pinnacles over at RCL had their Suite Lounge access restored.

I support the Zenith cause..will not reach it...  However, on BEYOND..the outside area was  very crowded  at the pool, bar and lunch tables ( sliw service..  A few more up there would not be terrible but if more than a few..the area could be overcrowded and service even slower!

the inside Retreat lounge was never crowded..seemed alot of wasted space..Maybe they could carve out a  nice cozy ZENITH RETREAT like the old E plus lounges?  small bar, cozy,  nice snacks  coffee...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Interesting stops.  Wave to us as you pass Detroit.  Mackinac Island is fun.  When are you sailing?  Hope to meet up again with you.  

Will do .   We are traveling in Mid-September so maybe we will see a little color change but I believe it will be a bit early.    Really looking forward to Mackinac Island -  Really have to see the Grand Hotel.  

I really have a strong connection to the movie - Somewhere in Time which was filmed there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

No stops in Detroit either?  I'll need to come out in my fishing boat and waive as you sail by.

Maybe they didn't want' to deal with Customs/Immigration  Formalities...

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will do .   We are traveling in Mid-September so maybe we will see a little color change but I believe it will be a bit early.    Really looking forward to Mackinac Island -  Really have to see the Grand Hotel.  

I really have a strong connection to the movie - Somewhere in Time which was filmed there.

Rent a bicycle and ride around the island.  

8 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Rent a bicycle and ride around the island.  

Will be interesting.    I don't think Iain's been on  bike in 50+ years.    I bike occasionally and enjoy it.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe they didn't want' to deal with Customs/Immigration  Formalities...

Maybe that's it, I never took a detailed look at the itinerary but numerous ships do stop in Detroit.  Hopefully you'll stir up some walleye when you pass by.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That was such a good movie. I have to ask-what is your connection?

Hi Jim!  I remember you making a recommendation for a Michelin restaurant in either Amsterdam or Rotterdam.  Friends will be there in September and want to pass along your recommendation.  I love following your travels and have learned much…TIA

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will be interesting.    I don't think Iain's been on  bike in 50+ years.    I bike occasionally and enjoy it.

If you don't ride the bike, you can also hike/walk around island, the entire loop is 8.2 miles, but the southern and western sides of the island are much more scenic. IIRC, on the western side about halfway there is a small restaurant that has great ice cream.

With regard to Somewhere in Time, truly an under the radar classic. There are many locations from the movie around the island: the hotel (obviously), the meeting tree and the gazebo to name a few.

I also found the Fort fascinating.

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

That was such a good movie. I have to ask-what is your connection?

My fist  date with my first  lover was to see the movie and afterwards he would  play the sound track for me every night to fall asleep.  He passed away from HIV 37 years ago.   In those days it was a death sentence and he was dead within 6 months of diagnosis.   For years and years I dreamed of one day going back in time and seeing and talking to him for one last time.

Iain knew the story and learned the music and played it for me on his Grand Piano on one of our first dates.    He later repeated it last year on Solstice when we had a Piano in our Penthouse. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

My fist  date with my first  lover was to see the movie and afterwards he would  play the sound track for me every night to fall asleep.  He passed away from HIV 37 years ago.   In those days it was a death sentence and he was dead within 6 months of diagnosis.   For years and years I dreamed of one day going back in time and seeing and talking to him for one last time.

Iain knew the story and learned the music and played it for me on his Grand Piano on one of our first dates.    He later repeated it last year on Solstice when we had a Piano in our Penthouse. 

IMG_2038.mov 33.92 MB · 3 downloads  

What a beautiful story Jim. I also love the movie and the soundtrack. The theme by John Barry was a beautiful piece of music. What Iain played for you was Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, one of the most beautiful and romantic pieces of music ever (IMHO). Here's a clip of that piece being played by an orchestra and a concert pianist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJ5uITLECE

I confess that I love ALL Rachmaninoff music. His 2nd Piano Concerto (Rocky 2!) is terrific, I think the movie Brief Encounter used it.

• Like 3

Just now, JackE said:

What a beautiful story Jim. I also love the movie and the soundtrack. The theme by John Barry was a beautiful piece of music. What Iain played for you was Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, one of the most beautiful and romantic pieces of music ever (IMHO). Here's a clip of that piece being played by an orchestra and a concert pianist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJ5uITLECE

I confess that I love ALL Rachmaninoff music. His 2nd Piano Concerto (Rocky 2!) is terrific, I think the movie Brief Encounter used it.

And the piano solo is at 16:17, I believe.

Have to agree Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini is by far my favorite.   

While we decided to sell off Iain's Concert Grand (takes a lot of space) he has an Electronic Piano and plays daily down in the office.  Usually he has headphones on but I often have him play so I can hear it.    It's amazing that he plays without the need of a score except when he's learning something new.

• Like 4