Harmony of the Seas Review - 4/1 - 4/8 - Good Cruise

PACrew

I noticed a lack of Harmony reviews so I figured I would put one out there for future cruises. We were a party of 9 with 3 boardwalk balcony cabins.

Ship: Harmony is in great shape. Sure there are some items that need a maintenance call but overall, its looks great. Everything was working and clean. Pools were great.

Cabins: 3 Boardwalk Balcony on Deck 10, starboard side above the carousel. The rooms were ready at 2pm. Room steward was great. Plenty of storage even with 4 people (2A 2C in the room). I am not a fan of the 1/day housekeeping. I would prefer either 2/day or a light second (remove trash, replace towels). We chose morning housing keeping so that the pull out bed would be stowed for the day but it would also have been nice to have the steward open it and set it up at night. I do miss the ice buckets and additional glasses in the cabin. The chiller was fine and kept everything cool. Now, as for the location, kids loved it. It was noisy though. Everyday there was rehearsals in the aqua theater…all day. It got old after day 3. I understand the need to practice but the blaring music all day from the “Fine Line” show was just annoying.  Also, a night, you could definitely hear the show with the slider closed. Luckily the kids were so tired it didn’t bother them. I wont book a boardwalk balcony again. Again, kids loved it but the constant rehearsal noise really make the balcony unusable.

Retail/Shops: I really think Royal missed the boat on the retail portion of this ship. Given that Royal caters to families, the retail experience is not. I think that having an Ice Cream store or Sugar Beach would be great. Not that I want my kids spending $$ in there, but we certainly would have allowed them to get something. Hublot, Kate Spade – I just don’t see people buying anything in those shops. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Specialty Restaurants: Ate a chops one night, it was fine. Nothing over the top and I wouldn’t eat there again. It certainly wasn’t bad but not worth it IMO. I also wonder why SABOR is still there. I watched this place all week (boardwalk balcony) and it was always empty. Really need a playmakers here or hooked.

MDR: Ate there 3 times but service was still 90 min – 100 min. With 4 kids, this wasn’t great. I also think the appetizer selection was weak. It was the same 3-4 every night with 3-4 rotating. Loved the Maine Lobster, way better than Caribbean. Overall, food was fine with hit or miss items. I really miss having a wine menu at the table as well. Wine appears to be an after thought in the MDR

Windjammer: Generally the food was good. Sure, there are some hit or miss items but overall, we were satisfied and always found something. I do think the quality has gone down. Deserts are really not great. Didn’t bother after the second time. The cold section has no variety. Always Caesar salad. Burger were ok but Celebrity does a way better job on this. Overall, it was ok. Honestly though, if you are going for food, RCL isn’t your line. Choose Celebrity or Virgin.

Embark/Dis – 20 min from curb to ship. 15 min from ship to curb. Easy as pie. I think they have this down to a science. We did self disembark and were at MIA by 8:15am for our 10:20 flight.

Entertainment: Shows were great. RCL does a great job in this department.

Activities: standard fare.

Spa: fine but the upselling is a joke. Its really off putting. I feel like im at a time share presentation. After spending hundreds on couples’ message, I don’t want your $200 look younger cream. Stop jamming it down my throat. I think this is our last time using the spa because I was less harassed on the beach in St. Maarten by ladies looking to sell crap.

Not going to review the ports except Coco Cay: We were in port with the Odyssey and by 10:30, there were simply not lounges anywhere on the island. It was packed on the beaches. You really need to be off early if there is another ship there. 10k people were there and it showed. Our fault for not getting off early enough but if you want a good seat by the pool, beach – get off ASAP. I would even forgo breakfast and eat on the island. Overall, the kids loved it though. The pool is essentially a Vegas Pool party all day. The splash away bay was great. The food on the island was some of the best we had all trip. Hopefully the expanded adult section will help alleviate the crowding when it comes online next year. 

Crew: never had an issue. All were helpful. The hotel director is a nice guy. He was all over the ship and at the gangway when getting back from ports. 

Overall – great cruise. I did notice the cost cutting and the food is not what it was (except Coco Cay). However, because I have 4 young children, I will be on RCL again. The ships, activities, entertainment cannot be beaten. If my wife and I were cruising, we would probably be on Celebrity or Virgin. Either way, you will have a great time.

Any questions - ask away. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

Did you request ice? If so how long did it take? Etc

Didnt request ice as it wasnt a big deal. Just something I miss. I also didnt see it on any of the housekeeping carts. 

2 hours ago, PACrew said:

... I am not a fan of the 1/day housekeeping. I would prefer either 2/day or a light second (remove trash, replace towels) ... 

I agree!  This is not a place to scrimp.  

... Everyday there was rehearsals in the aqua theater…all day. It got old ...

Noted.  

... Specialty Restaurants: Ate a chops one night, it was fine. Nothing over the top and I wouldn’t eat there again ...

I'm wondering if Chops has grown kinda "stale".  People don't seem excited about it in the same way they're excited about The Mason Jar and Hooked.    

... Really need a playmakers ... 

My husband is insane for Playmakers, especially since we tend to sail in the fall during football season.  I wish they'd add one to every ship.  

... Deserts are really not great ...

Let's be honest:  Dessert has never been RC's greatest strength.  

... Embark/Dis – 20 min from curb to ship. 15 min from ship to curb. Easy as pie. I think they have this down to a science. We did self disembark and were at MIA by 8:15am for our 10:20 flight ...

We've had the same experience.  Part of it is the new facial recognition software, which isn't an RC product, but -- yes -- disembarkation is so much faster than it used to be.  

... I would even forgo breakfast and eat on the island ...

Unless something's changed very recently, they don't serve breakfast on the island, and lunch doesn't open until ... 11:00ish?  

Thanks for a good review!  I always like to hear plenty of details.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

4 hours ago, PACrew said:

I noticed a lack of Harmony reviews so I figured I would put one out there for future cruises. We were a party of 9 with 3 boardwalk balcony cabins.

Ship: Harmony is in great shape. Sure there are some items that need a maintenance call but overall, its looks great. Everything was working and clean. Pools were great.

Cabins: 3 Boardwalk Balcony on Deck 10, starboard side above the carousel. The rooms were ready at 2pm. Room steward was great. Plenty of storage even with 4 people (2A 2C in the room). I am not a fan of the 1/day housekeeping. I would prefer either 2/day or a light second (remove trash, replace towels). We chose morning housing keeping so that the pull out bed would be stowed for the day but it would also have been nice to have the steward open it and set it up at night. I do miss the ice buckets and additional glasses in the cabin. The chiller was fine and kept everything cool. Now, as for the location, kids loved it. It was noisy though. Everyday there was rehearsals in the aqua theater…all day. It got old after day 3. I understand the need to practice but the blaring music all day from the “Fine Line” show was just annoying.  Also, a night, you could definitely hear the show with the slider closed. Luckily the kids were so tired it didn’t bother them. I wont book a boardwalk balcony again. Again, kids loved it but the constant rehearsal noise really make the balcony unusable.

Retail/Shops: I really think Royal missed the boat on the retail portion of this ship. Given that Royal caters to families, the retail experience is not. I think that having an Ice Cream store or Sugar Beach would be great. Not that I want my kids spending $$ in there, but we certainly would have allowed them to get something. Hublot, Kate Spade – I just don’t see people buying anything in those shops. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Specialty Restaurants: Ate a chops one night, it was fine. Nothing over the top and I wouldn’t eat there again. It certainly wasn’t bad but not worth it IMO. I also wonder why SABOR is still there. I watched this place all week (boardwalk balcony) and it was always empty. Really need a playmakers here or hooked.

MDR: Ate there 3 times but service was still 90 min – 100 min. With 4 kids, this wasn’t great. I also think the appetizer selection was weak. It was the same 3-4 every night with 3-4 rotating. Loved the Maine Lobster, way better than Caribbean. Overall, food was fine with hit or miss items. I really miss having a wine menu at the table as well. Wine appears to be an after thought in the MDR

Windjammer: Generally the food was good. Sure, there are some hit or miss items but overall, we were satisfied and always found something. I do think the quality has gone down. Deserts are really not great. Didn’t bother after the second time. The cold section has no variety. Always Caesar salad. Burger were ok but Celebrity does a way better job on this. Overall, it was ok. Honestly though, if you are going for food, RCL isn’t your line. Choose Celebrity or Virgin.

Embark/Dis – 20 min from curb to ship. 15 min from ship to curb. Easy as pie. I think they have this down to a science. We did self disembark and were at MIA by 8:15am for our 10:20 flight.

Entertainment: Shows were great. RCL does a great job in this department.

Activities: standard fare.

Spa: fine but the upselling is a joke. Its really off putting. I feel like im at a time share presentation. After spending hundreds on couples’ message, I don’t want your $200 look younger cream. Stop jamming it down my throat. I think this is our last time using the spa because I was less harassed on the beach in St. Maarten by ladies looking to sell crap.

Not going to review the ports except Coco Cay: We were in port with the Odyssey and by 10:30, there were simply not lounges anywhere on the island. It was packed on the beaches. You really need to be off early if there is another ship there. 10k people were there and it showed. Our fault for not getting off early enough but if you want a good seat by the pool, beach – get off ASAP. I would even forgo breakfast and eat on the island. Overall, the kids loved it though. The pool is essentially a Vegas Pool party all day. The splash away bay was great. The food on the island was some of the best we had all trip. Hopefully the expanded adult section will help alleviate the crowding when it comes online next year. 

Crew: never had an issue. All were helpful. The hotel director is a nice guy. He was all over the ship and at the gangway when getting back from ports. 

Overall – great cruise. I did notice the cost cutting and the food is not what it was (except Coco Cay). However, because I have 4 young children, I will be on RCL again. The ships, activities, entertainment cannot be beaten. If my wife and I were cruising, we would probably be on Celebrity or Virgin. Either way, you will have a great time.

Any questions - ask away. 

Great review.   We went in December and had a great time (we have three young kids).  The love the varying shows.  Cruising with kids is definitely different than when it’s adults only in the group.  I too might try Virgin someday without the kids.  

I believe it was turnover week for the aqua show crew, and that was why there were so many rehearsals.  

Funny you mentioned SABOR, we wanted to go there for lunch on a sea day. Got there at noon, only 3 regular tables were occupied - around 10 people total, we asked for a table and were told maybe around 2pm since we didn’t have a reservation.  We ate at Johnny Rockets instead, and when we left an hour later, still only 3 tables occupied at SABOR. I did miss Playmakers too tho. 

Agree with your comment on Coco Cay, it was the most crowded that I have ever seen it in all of my visits. 

Only thing I would add, I was disappointed in the brevity of the St Thomas Port stop. All aboard time by 2:30 is just a little too early. 

Also agree that I dislike the 1x daily housekeeping. I agree with you, I’d be fine with fresh towels and trash emptying for the 2nd service. We did request double towels, and this request seemed to be fulfilled some days and others not.

I think you were right on the aqua show. That can be the only logical explanation. It was relentless. 

42 minutes ago, CFIGuy said:

Also agree that I dislike the 1x daily housekeeping. I agree with you, I’d be fine with fresh towels and trash emptying for the 2nd service. We did request double towels, and this request seemed to be fulfilled some days and others not.

I dont need a full blown cleaning but it would be nice to have the trash done and old towels removed. I had 2 kids in the room and while we kept the room pretty tidy but there was a good amount of trash in the morning. 

44 minutes ago, CFIGuy said:

Agree with your comment on Coco Cay, it was the most crowded that I have ever seen it in all of my visits. 

I will say that by 1pm, seats were opening up all over. 

44 minutes ago, CFIGuy said:

Only thing I would add, I was disappointed in the brevity of the St Thomas Port stop. All aboard time by 2:30 is just a little too early. 

Totally agree. I realize the ship has to hustle back up to coco cay but we were there early as you know by 2 hours. I think for the price we are paying, a couple extra hours in St. Thomas is warranted. 

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Unless something's changed very recently, they don't serve breakfast on the island, and lunch doesn't open until ... 11:00ish?  

They dont serve breakfast but next time, we will grab some pastry/bagel from the WJ and head off ASAP. Be the first in line for lunch at 11. 

9 hours ago, NeedsVitaminSea said:

Thanks for the review! We are heading out on Harmony next month. I’m disappointed to hear about Chops. We booked Unlimited Dining but I wonder if it is worth it?  Did you try Jaime’s or Izumi?

Let me be clear, it wasn’t bad. I just expected more. maybe my expectations were off. My wife and I both said next time we would just order the chops steak in the mdr if we were craving steak. (The Ny strip in the mdr is dollar tree steak). Would I go again, not at current prices. I would spend the money and go to Izumi, Jamie’s, 150, wonderland. 

maybe it was an off night. I wouldn’t cancel your reservation. Have fun! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your review.  We enjoyed our cruise on the Harmony.  Shopping there was the start of our inside joke " Need a watch?"

Agree on the upsell in the spa.  I only walk through to the gym and then down to the men's locker room and use the showers.  

Chops on any ship can be hit or miss but generally the steak selections are good.  Chicken can be so so.  Overall we like 150 Central better.  Harmony was our first experience with Wonderland. 

25 minutes ago, PACrew said:

Let me be clear, it wasn’t bad. I just expected more. maybe my expectations were off. My wife and I both said next time we would just order the chops steak in the mdr if we were craving steak. (The Ny strip in the mdr is dollar tree steak). Would I go again, not at current prices. I would spend the money and go to Izumi, Jamie’s, 150, wonderland. 

Same.  Not on Harmony, but our last 2-3 visits to Chops have been underwhelming.  Not bad, not "OMG this was a waste of money!", but just meh.  Thankfully we used our D+ BOGO, so it hasn't been full price.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PACrew said:

I think you were right on the aqua show. That can be the only logical explanation. It was relentless. 

I dont need a full blown cleaning but it would be nice to have the trash done and old towels removed. I had 2 kids in the room and while we kept the room pretty tidy but there was a good amount of trash in the room.

Lots more plates, glasses and trash bags in the hallway a few weeks back. I hated that I had to add to it but at some point, there's nowhere else to put it.

Nicely done!

My only comment:  I believe that there are two types of people, fans of SABOR and fans of Playmakers.  I'm a SABOR fan.  I like Mexican cuisine and a full-service bar all in one venue.  I'm not a big sports fan.  Having said that, I think a good compromise would be to do both on the larger ships.  I'm sure some venues aren't very popular and arrangements can be made to shuffle things around and have both.  Many people are saying that JRs have gone way downhill, I'm not one of them.  But, I'd sacrifice JRs to make room for a Playmakers or SABOR, that's on Oasis Class ships.  

YMMV

Oh, I TOTAlLY AGREE, bring back twice-a-day cabin service.  I don't need my bed turned down or a pat on the butt.  But, I'd like towel service and trash removal.  

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Nicely done!

My only comment:  I believe that there are two types of people, fans of SABOR and fans of Playmakers.  I'm a SABOR fan.  I like Mexican cuisine and a full-service bar all in one venue.  I'm not a big sports fan.  Having said that, I think a good compromise would be to do both on the larger ships.  I'm sure some venues aren't very popular and arrangements can be made to shuffle things around and have both.  Many people are saying that JRs have gone way downhill, I'm not one of them.  But, I'd sacrifice JRs to make room for a Playmakers or SABOR, that's on Oasis Class ships.  

YMMV

Oh, I TOTAlLY AGREE, bring back twice-a-day cabin service.  I don't need my bed turned down or a pat on the butt.  But, I'd like towel service and trash removal.  

Agree on the JR. Although it is convenient for breakfast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PACrew said:

Agree on the JR. Although it is convenient for breakfast. 

Yep, but if they eliminate JRs (but in reality, I don't think that will happen) breakfast can easily be done in the SABOR or Playmakers.  I don't care which one as long as I can get all the bacon I want.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, but if they eliminate JRs (but in reality, I don't think that will happen) breakfast can easily be done in the SABOR or Playmakers.  I don't care which one as long as I can get all the bacon I want.  :classic_biggrin:

Very True. 

Great and fair review. I was on this same cruise and I agree with everything you posted. I got on CocoCay around 10 am and found a few beach chairs left in the shade on Breezy Bay but there weren't many remaining. I could see the ones around me quickly snatched up. I had to pay an attendant $20 to help me find the two we did get. My son loved the water park but said he had to wait an hour for the biggest slide. There were chairs opening up around 1 pm, but that might have had to do with the short-lived rain that moved in around that time. You could see the clouds and that scared people. We'd experienced that in St. Maarten, so sure enough, same thing. Ten minute storm and it was over. But maybe the Odyssey people didn't realize it would be so super fast and fled. Who knows?!

The food on the entire cruise was meh, including the specialty restaurants. And yes, Sabor was mostly empty and with good reason. Most meh of all. I had lunch there on a sea day since we had the UDP. Only a handful of tables were taken. I canceled our lunch plans there for later in the week and went to Chops instead. The food on CocoCay was better than on the ship. At least, the burger and the greek salad I had. The salad was super fresh and flavorful. Unlike the goat cheese salad I had at Chops. That thing was watery and bland. Ack. Chops was better at lunch time. Good steak salad with blue cheese and red onions and they had a burger on the menu, too. Didn't try it, tho. But sounded good, with gruyere cheese. 

Thanks for your review. I appreciate it, even though I lived it on the same ship. 🙂

Edited by njsmom

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

Well, everyone's comments make me feel good about choosing to not spend extra money on the dining plan. Lol.

I am looking forward to the UDP can’t wait to try Jamie’s and wonderland , have not been disappointed with UDP . Way better than mdr and CK .

8 hours ago, PACrew said:

Thanks for the clarification and follow up!!  Much appreciated. 

43 minutes ago, George C said:

I am looking forward to the UDP can’t wait to try Jamie’s and wonderland , have not been disappointed with UDP . Way better than mdr and CK .

If I didn’t have 4 kids, I would have done UDP. It was a good deal IMO