Favorite Pizza Topping

lenquixote66

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not want to debate this but if Sorrento’s was so bad why is it always mobbed no matter what time it is .A guy who posts on CC ridiculed me for saying that Sorrento’s is great.On my last cruise I saw him with a tray of the pizza and eating all of it.

Len, the French have a saying “each person to his own taste”.  I’m not saying Sorrento’s is bad…it’s just not what I think is great.  Hey…people line up for Dominos Pizza…go figure…that has to be the worst.  Do you really think Sorrento’s ranks up there with New York pizza?  New York is the epicenter for great pizza.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

26 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Len, the French have a saying “each person to his own taste”.  I’m not saying Sorrento’s is bad…it’s just not what I think is great.  Hey…people line up for Dominos Pizza…go figure…that has to be the worst.  Do you really think Sorrento’s ranks up there with New York pizza?  New York is the epicenter for great pizza.

Sorrento’s is the best pizza I have eaten on a cruise ship.

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 1:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

peanut butter

This one made me smile. You'd have peanut butter on a pizza but not sausage or mushroom? 🙂 Indeed, as the French say, "à chacun son goût" (to each, their own taste 🙂😋). Really nice to read what others enjoy on this thread.

In general, I enjoy a good thin-crust pepperoni pizza. Or a quattro formaggi with Mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, and Asiago cheeses. A few months ago, I had a transit in Chicago and tried a deep dish pizza and my tastebuds were not persuaded to switch alliance from thin-crust to deep dish. Over the years though, I've realized I crave some vegetables on my pizza. This came from an unplanned stacking of a piece of ultra meaty pizza (pepperoni, bacon, sausage) atop a deluxe vegetarian slice (onions, tomatoes, green peppers, green and black olives, mushrooms, grilled zucchinis and artichokes) resulting in a messy open-style calzone that had a great explosion of flavours.😋

These days, I enjoy experimenting and have enjoyed pesto, chicken and artichokes as toppings for my last 2 pizzas. I'm looking forward to returning to Rome next spring after a 3-decade absence to try the pizzas there. Perhaps my more mature palate will appreciate a good Margherita pizza now more than I did as teen. 😉

I suppose I'm a Philistine, but I do not understand the attraction of New York style pizza. My DH and I prefer a pizza "special," which in our home town is a thin-crust pizza with pepperoni, sausage, bacon, ham, peppers, mushrooms, and olives (we have them leave off the onions). 

30 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I suppose I'm a Philistine, but I do not understand the attraction of New York style pizza. My DH and I prefer a pizza "special," which in our home town is a thin-crust pizza with pepperoni, sausage, bacon, ham, peppers, mushrooms, and olives (we have them leave off the onions). 

What does being a Philistine have to do with pizza ?

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What does being a Philistine have to do with pizza?

I was using it humorously, hopefully, in the general sense of being considered boorish or uncultured, since I expect declaring a dislike for New York style pizza can be considered a cultural attack in some circles. The word does generally refer to more cultured aspects of culture. Maybe I should have used troglodyte, though I've never lived in a cave either.

13 minutes ago, Harters said:

Just out of interest, how (if at all) does a New York pizza differ from, say, a pizza in Italy (or other European countries)? 

It is quite common to buy pizza by the slice in New York. They are large, floppy slices that are often eaten by folding them in half down the center. I find them flabby, greasy, and unappetizing. The pizza I've had in Italy is usually a thinner crust that is very well baked.

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

It is quite common to buy pizza by the slice in New York. They are large, floppy slices that are often eaten by folding them in half down the center. I find them flabby, greasy, and unappetizing. The pizza I've had in Italy is usually a thinner crust that is very well baked.

We all have different tastes,no pun intended.It would be a very dull world if we all agreed on everything. I respect everyone’s opinion .

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We all have different tastes,no pun intended. It would be a very dull world if we all agreed on everything. I respect everyone’s opinion.

Agreed, and no disrespect intended toward those who like that style of pizza, or any other. In this instance, they are welcome to it, and I'll enjoy what I like. If we really wanted this thread to blow up, we could mention a certain fruit that may or may not belong on pizza....