Favorite Pizza Topping

lenquixote66

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, lenquixote66 said:

For me there is nothing better than Pepperoni.

I love pepperoni and but prefer the smaller ones that I used to get at a local place about 30+ years ago that cupped up when cooked and you got a little pool of grease in the cup.  I don't find it often anymore and never close to home.

When DH and I went to Spain, we were with a group and went to a place we ordered a bunch of smaller pizzas and flatbread of all kinds.  We both really like one that just had goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic slivers and fresh basil.  I still would have liked a few pieces on meat on it but it was the best non-meat pizza I ever had.

2 minutes ago, Seamus6 said:

I love pepperoni and but prefer the smaller ones that I used to get at a local place about 30+ years ago that cupped up when cooked and you got a little pool of grease in the cup.  I don't find it often anymore and never close to home.

When DH and I went to Spain, we were with a group and went to a place we ordered a bunch of smaller pizzas and flatbread of all kinds.  We both really like one that just had goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic slivers and fresh basil.  I still would have liked a few pieces on meat on it but it was the best non-meat pizza I ever had.

I have never been to Europe.The best pizza I ever ate aside from Sorrento’s on RCI ships has been in New York State.

I ate pizza for the first time at age 16.

1 hour ago, Seamus6 said:

Sorry Baltimore doesn't  have the pizzerias we have in Brooklyn, NY. Our Pizza Maker use to come off the boat and taught those willing to pass tradition down from that point on.

One of our pizzeria make their tomato sauce from San Marzano, greenhouse basil, buffalo mozz cheese and deep red pepperoni that cups like a shot glass w the tasty grease. It's not uncommon to find this in NYC - the Big Apple. The pepperoni is flown in on a weekly basis.

And we LOVE different cheese pizzas. Our pizzerias make their mozz each morning in that tasty milky broth.

Please find the pizzeria that will satisfy your old time taste.

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry Baltimore doesn't  have the pizzerias we have in Brooklyn, NY. Our Pizza Maker use to come off the boat and taught those willing to pass tradition down from that point on.

One of our pizzeria make their tomato sauce from San Marzano, greenhouse basil, buffalo mozz cheese and deep red pepperoni that cups like a shot glass w the tasty grease. It's not uncommon to find this in NYC - the Big Apple. The pepperoni is flown in on a weekly basis.

And we LOVE different cheese pizzas. Our pizzerias make their mozz each morning in that tasty milky broth.

Please find the pizzeria that will satisfy your old time taste.

Best Brooklyn Pizza Parlors:

Lenny’s on 86 St. in Bensonhurst

Lenny and John’s on Flatbush Ave 

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry Baltimore doesn't  have the pizzerias we have in Brooklyn, NY.

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.

You have no idea how depressing it is to be a foodie in Maryland...sigh

I get excited when I can rate a meal an 8 out of 10!

If it was a 9 or higher I was either in New York, New Orleans, or I made it myself.  Some meals in Europe as well.

On 4/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, Seamus6 said:

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend.

You have no idea how depressing it is to be a foodie in Maryland...sigh

I get excited when I can rate a meal an 8 out of 10!

If it was a 9 or higher I was either in New York, New Orleans, or I made it myself.  Some meals in Europe as well.

The best crab cakes I ever ate were in a restaurant in Baltimore Harbor in 2016.One of my son in laws grew up in the area and never had anything negative to say about the food .He is a foodie.

• 2 weeks later...

I also love mushrooms and sausage too😀....CGT, you can have the onions though. 

There are so many "modern ingredients" people put on their pies.......I am old school.......so many things they put on pizza now......just give me a good pie, good crust,  with good mushrooms and sausage and I am happy. 

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I also love mushrooms and sausage too😀....CGT, you can have the onions though. 

There are so many "modern ingredients" people put on their pies.......I am old school.......so many things they put on pizza now......just give me a good pie, good crust,  with good mushrooms and sausage and I am happy. 

So true, that being said I will indulge in a slice of pepperoni once in a while.  Most of the time, however, I like to make my own pizza.  This I will load up with the mushrooms, Italian fennel sausage, onion, and small slices of Genoa Salami.  I also use 3 cheeses.

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

So true, that being said I will indulge in a slice of pepperoni once in a while.  Most of the time, however, I like to make my own pizza.  This I will load up with the mushrooms, Italian fennel sausage, onion, and small slices of Genoa Salami.  I also use 3 cheeses.

Good morning, Oh, I can ALWAYS do pepperoni!🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mushrooms.

My "best ever" pizza was at the Pizzeria Bardolino, in Bardolino on Lake Garda. It was everything you want from a pizza - crisp base, good tomato sauce, a restrained use of toppings, including cheese, cooked so that it was still a little undercooked in the middle. It's a few years since I was there but I've not had one to match since. Maybe it's because they include a "free" aperitif and digestif.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Homemade pizza is not as good as cruise ship pizza but it can be very good.

Nonsense…my homemade pizza can stand up against any cruise ship pizza and that includes MSC.  I learned to make pizza when I was onboard the Italian Line Leonardo DaVinci…in 1976 and that was the best pizza I’ve ever had at sea.  

39 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Nonsense…my homemade pizza can stand up against any cruise ship pizza and that includes MSC.  I learned to make pizza when I was onboard the Italian Line Leonardo DaVinci…in 1976 and that was the best pizza I’ve ever had at sea.  

Certainly not better than Sorrento’s on select RCI ships.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Certainly not better than Sorrento’s on select RCI ships.

LOL LOL LOL…Sorrento’s is not even in the same league with my pizza or the custom room service pies made in the evening onboard MSC.  Those pies are better than the pies served in the Cafe…and miles above Sorrento’s.  I buy my pizza dough from a local grocery store that makes a special pizza dough.  My sauce is made with hand squeezed San Marzano tomatoes and sautéed with minced onions and garlic along with my secret spice blend.  Hand grated mozzarella and a small amount of Asiago comes next.  Then the pie is topped with sliced mushrooms slightly sautéed in butter, thinly sliced onions and chunks of special fennel Italian sausage from the same grocer who makes the dough.  Lay out some basil leaves and pop it in the oven.  Now you know “the rest of the story”.😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL LOL LOL…Sorrento’s is not even in the same league with my pizza or the custom room service pies made in the evening onboard MSC.  Those pies are better than the pies served in the Cafe…and miles above Sorrento’s.  I buy my pizza dough from a local grocery store that makes a special pizza dough.  My sauce is made with hand squeezed San Marzano tomatoes and sautéed with minced onions and garlic along with my secret spice blend.  Hand grated mozzarella and a small amount of Asiago comes next.  Then the pie is topped with sliced mushrooms slightly sautéed in butter, thinly sliced onions and chunks of special fennel Italian sausage from the same grocer who makes the dough.  Lay out some basil leaves and pop it in the oven.  Now you know “the rest of the story”.😉

I want some of your pizza please😃it sounds soooooooo good!

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I do not want to debate this but if Sorrento’s was so bad why is it always mobbed no matter what time it is .A guy who posts on CC ridiculed me for saying that Sorrento’s is great.On my last cruise I saw him with a tray of the pizza and eating all of it.

• Haha 1