Sure ain’t no dress code!

roupa

27 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I travel outside of the US a lot also and I have seen plenty of instances of men wearing shorts in restaurants where tablecloths are used.

Also, I'm not seeing where RC agrees with you in what you posted regarding men wearing shorts when there are tablecloths present.

Based on what others on here have experienced, it seems like these "global standards" are really just your opinion.

Forget tablecloths. Do you see that shorts are listed for breakfast and lunch? Why is this? 

You are sayijg that outside of US in similar evening restaurants you see people in shirts… right? What type of countries you are describing?

Edited by Tatka

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Forget tablecloths. Do you see that shorts are listed for breakfast and lunch? Why is this? 

You are sailing that outside of US in similar evening restaurants you see people in shirts… right? What type of countries you are describing?

What do you mean "forget tablecloths"?  You are the one that brought up that connection.

What type of countries am I describing?  Uh...ones outside of the US.  Ones in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.  Not really sure what you mean by "type of countries".

• Like 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

What do you mean "forget tablecloths"?  You are the one that brought up that connection.

What type of countries am I describing?  Uh...ones outside of the US.  Ones in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.  Not really sure what you mean by "type of countries".

I never seen people in shorts in evening restaurants in Europe, Asia and several countries of South America I’ve been. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Hah.. so why shorts are not listed as Acceptable OPTIONS for dining room during dinners? Or it’s even specified that shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

To me it’s a clear hint that shorts aren’t that welcomed during dinners. 

And you forgot about the word "SUGGESTED", I guess.  

Oh, a "CLEAR" hint and "aren't that welcome".  I don't think I've ever classified a hint as being "CLEAR".  And they're either welcome or they aren't, this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades. 

And again, nowhere does it prohibit the wearing of Shorts at any venue, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  Oh, and you are ignoring the many testimonies from cruisers that state that they wear shorts into any/all venues no matter what time of day, evening, or night.  I'll testify that I have seen people wear shorts into the MDR on formal nights on the Ovation, Symphony, and Allure.  Not only did I see it by strangers, I had my best friend wear shorts into the MDR on the Ovation last May. 

Okay, I've had my laugh for the evening.  I'm out of this thread. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Well, these are American cruise ships in the Caribbean. It's casual.

About 45 out 57 of my cruises were with 7 American massmarket cruise lines to Caribbean/Bahamas/Bermuda. I’m pretty familiar with what people wear. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

And you forgot about the word "SUGGESTED", I guess.  

Oh, a "CLEAR" hint and "aren't that welcome".  I don't think I've ever classified a hint as being "CLEAR".  And they're either welcome or they aren't, this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades. 

And again, nowhere does it prohibit the wearing of Shorts at any venue, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  Oh, and you are ignoring the many testimonies from cruisers that state that they wear shorts into any/all venues no matter what time of day, evening, or night.  I'll testify that I have seen people wear shorts into the MDR on formal nights on the Ovation, Symphony, and Allure.  Not only did I see it by strangers, I had my best friend wear shorts into the MDR on the Ovation last May. 

Okay, I've had my laugh for the evening.  I'm out of this thread. 

I’ve also see some people in shorts in MDR on my 26 RCI cruises. I also saw people in MDR in basketball shorts, in baseball hats. They were not prohibited. Nobody stopped people who were wearing them. What conclusion should I make? RCI staff is not confrontational. 

Cruising 5 times a year for the last 7 years I see many things …

On 4/14/2023 at 3:23 AM, Tatka said:

I never seen people in shorts in evening restaurants in Europe, Asia and several countries of South America I’ve been. 

Then you need to open your eyes.  We see people in shorts in evening restaurants all the time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 2:23 AM, Tatka said:

I'm genuinely not fussed with this argument but I actually witnessed people turned away from the MDR last summer on Anthem in the UK for wearing shorts. In the main we are quite a formal lot over here and shorts in any restaurant any time of day would be rare so I can only imagine Royal was adapting things to the local market.

Like you I also have never seen people in Asia in shorts in the evening, shifting continents when we cruised Royal out of Dubai every night was formal whether stated on the compass or not. We actually saw people in the Windjammer in tuxedo's and ball gowns. 

I think this argument only exists because the majority on this board cruise out of Florida where literally anything goes, we have just got off a cruise from New York on Anthem and the difference in dress from anything Florida departing is unreal.

Not saying anything is good or bad, right or wrong but Florida cruises have a different idea of dress and good luck to them. If we were all the same it would be dull.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 12:20 PM, Tatka said:

I agree with your wife. 🙂

My husband does not wear shirts because he thinks even black jeans or casual pants are more appropriate for such restaurants. I agree with him. Not too difficult to wear them.

Of course on Queen Mary 2 ... we followed their dress code which required at least a sport coat every day for men.

I am not sure, but I do think that the MDR as well as most restaurants with tablecloths frown on shirtless men even if they do have long pants on.

• Haha 4

On 4/13/2023 at 7:23 PM, Tatka said:

First of all, yes, I have seen plenty of people in shorts in Europe, including all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and other relatives in Europe. We grew up not even being able to eat an apple with our hands. Everything was proper and there was no such thing as finger food. It took me a long time to be comfortable eating french fries out of a box with my fingers.  But times have changed. What my parents grew up with 80 years ago no longer applies to today's world. Just like we don't still wear long gowns with corsets and bustles. Appropriate dress wear changes over time.

Secondly, in the Caribbean and other warm weather countries, which you have not mentioned, it is much more relaxed.  Where do you think "Bermuda shorts" come from? Bermuda shorts for men are considered formal wear.  It is just not feasible to require long pants, shirts, and jackets in the heat and humidity, so Caribbean and Pacific islands, etiquette is much more relaxed.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cured said:

First of all, yes, I have seen plenty of people in shorts in Europe, including all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and other relatives in Europe. We grew up not even being able to eat an apple with our hands. Everything was proper and there was no such thing as finger food. It took me a long time to be comfortable eating french fries out of a box with my fingers.  But times have changed. What my parents grew up with 80 years ago no longer applies to today's world. Just like we don't still wear long gowns with corsets and bustles. Appropriate dress wear changes over time.

Secondly, in the Caribbean and other warm weather countries, which you have not mentioned, it is much more relaxed.  Where do you think "Bermuda shorts" come from? Bermuda shorts for men are considered formal wear.  It is just not feasible to require long pants, shirts, and jackets in the heat and humidity, so Caribbean and Pacific islands, etiquette is much more relaxed.

Great post.  There are no "global standards", as has been suggested in this thread.

• Like 6

I adhere to a much higher authority's dress code than the cruise line, my wife's. Long pants in restaurants and a suit on formal nights. I couldn't care less what anyone else wears. Happy wife, happy life. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cured said:

In some places in Europe it is still very proper - my relatives would never think of wearing shorts in public unless it was at the seaside. Most definitely never to any appointment, office, store, and never to a restaurant. At home tablecloths on the table always. Eating in public? Not everyone enjoys American fast food -our local McDonalds with “McDrive” lasted barely a year. 

• Haha 1

thanks for the heads up!  First-time cruisers, as I have done, over-worry about the "dress code". Hope this helps them. Caribbean cruises are most casual or as dressed as one prefers. That's what makes cruising fun, something for everyone out there. I found Alaska to be more casual as well. 

We in Florida frequent 5* restaurants and shorts are aok, It's a different culture. We do however, review the dress code prior. Such places as Albert and Victorias has a code that is followed.  To each their own. 

Edited by nimbex1970
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, nimbex1970 said:

thanks for the heads up!  First-time cruisers, as I have done, over-worry about the "dress code". Hope this helps them. Caribbean cruises are most casual or as dressed as one prefers. That's what makes cruising fun, something for everyone out there. I found Alaska to be more casual as well. 

We in Florida frequent 5* restaurants and shorts are aok, It's a different culture. We do however, review the dress code prior. Such places as Albert and Victorias has a code that is followed.  To each their own. 

But you are violating global standards! 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

There are tablecloths all over restaurants in the high-dollar Armonds circle restaurants in Sarasota and the city of Sarasota Florida, where shorts are the norm and dinners are casual.  Such a reference is moot.  We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota and the men wore shorts. As experienced travelers, we and most others know how to dress for the venue @Tatka.  We just shall agree to disagree. Tablecloths does not make a venue, ick.. found in 3* places that I wouldn't venture in.. 

• Like 4