Vietnam Cruise Stops and E-visa

cruisinsusin

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge with everyone at Cruise Critic, especially on Roll Calls to Japan!"

monkey@cruise was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

1 hour ago, debfed65 said:

Hello again monkey@cruise! Which link did you use for getting the eVisa for Vietnam? The one you have put here, or the one on the Canadian Government website which directs me to the Vietnam Immigration Department?  Does it matter? 

The global link:

Vietnam foreigners apply for E-visa
https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

The Canadian website is for the entry port information.

why is it that we cannot transfer nice legible photos of our passports to the Vietnam visa application? We scanned them into the computer and they look great, but when we try and transfer that passport photo to the Vietnam Visa application is shrinks to illegability?

We are getting frustrated.

2 hours ago, spunks said:

why is it that we cannot transfer nice legible photos of our passports to the Vietnam visa application? We scanned them into the computer and they look great, but when we try and transfer that passport photo to the Vietnam Visa application is shrinks to illegability?

We are getting frustrated.

To apply for Vietnam e-visa online: Upload: scan of your passport and e-visa photo (in . jpg format and should not exceed 2MB in size.)

Just now, monkey@cruise said:

To apply for Vietnam e-visa online: Upload: scan of your passport and e-visa photo (in . jpg format and should not exceed 2MB in size.)

Does the e-visa photo need to be done by the passport photo shop

or can you take a headshot photo of your own against a white wall following what you stated above .jpg less than 2MB size ?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Does the e-visa photo need to be done by the passport photo shop

or can you take a headshot photo of your own against a white wall following what you stated above .jpg less than 2MB size ?

Smartphone photo on self portrait and passport page. After uploaded, if you doesn't like the image, you can delete the file, rework and upload again.

Portrait photo:
The Portrait photo size is 4 x 6 cm (standard size of Vietnamese photography) or 2 x 2 inches in .jpg format and maximum file size is a 1024Kb (1MB)
The photos taken within the last 6 months.
The photo must capture your entire face, viewed directly with a bright, solid  background.
Hats or head scarves cannot be worn unless it is for religious purposes.
No laughing. Just keep a neutral facial expression.

Passport bio page photo:
Clear and high-quality images.
Maximum file size is a 2048Kb (2MB)

How to fill out Vietnam E-visa application form
https://vietnamconsulate-sydney.org/vietnam-visa/vietnam-e-visa/how-to-fill-out-vietnam-e-visa-application-form/#:~:text=Here are all the items,not exceed 2MB in size

Edited by monkey@cruise

1 minute ago, monkey@cruise said:

Smartphone photo on self portrait and passport page. After uploaded, if you doesn't like the image, you can delete the file, rework and upload again.

Portrait photo:
The Portrait photo size is 4 x 6 cm (standard size of Vietnamese photography) or 2 x 2 inches in .jpg format and maximum file size is a 1024Kb.
The photos taken within the last 6 months.
The photo must capture your entire face, viewed directly with a bright, solid  background.
Hats or head scarves cannot be worn unless it is for religious purposes.
No laughing. Just keep a neutral facial expression.

Passport bio page photo:
Clear and high-quality images.
Maximum file size is a 2048Kb.

How to fill out Vietnam E-visa application form
https://vietnamconsulate-sydney.org/vietnam-visa/vietnam-e-visa/how-to-fill-out-vietnam-e-visa-application-form/#:~:text=Here are all the items,not exceed 2MB in size

You are always so helpful! Thank you again 😁

We put the photo/scan in jpeg form....it does not exceed 2 mb in size.....no matter what, we cannot upload a readable passport photo to the application. For some reason it compresses when uploaded. I would hate to have to cancel over what should be an easy procedure.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, spunks said:

We put the photo/scan in jpeg form....it does not exceed 2 mb in size.....no matter what, we cannot upload a readable passport photo to the application. For some reason it compresses when uploaded. I would hate to have to cancel over what should be an easy procedure.

You cannot upload?? Have you deleted the file before another upload. I photoshot my photo and passport page with a smartphone, transfer to a computer, crop and edit, then uploaded without issue. Make sure your file is JPG extension, NOT JPEG extension.

Edited by monkey@cruise

Any recommendations for agencies to handle Vietnam E-Visa for US citizens.  I have applied thru the Vietnam government website and paid the $25.  So far I have gotten 2 denials due to ‘incorrect photo’ (whatever that means) and 1 denial due to inadequate address for residency in Vietnam (even though I listed name of ship and detailed address of port).  To top it off, every time I access the application to edit it, the dates for entry into the country are changed.  It has been so frustrating.  I’ll happily pay more to get this done for me.  I’m looking for trustworthy agencies.  Any suggestions?

11 hours ago, helens56 said:

At VisaCentral you can choose Premium Service. They will handle everything for you. It’s an extra fee. 

VitaminSea53 now knows what went wrong. He will become a Vietnam eVisa guru.

We will be visiting several ports in Vietnam, entering @ Ha Long Bay, onboard Viking Orion. Viking does not offer assistance with obtaining the visa for Vietnam, but we are being told that a label visa is required by Vietnam when entering the country @ Ha Long Bay, & that a evisa will not be accepted. We were hoping to confirm that others have had no issues using an evisa for entry into the country at this port. Thanks!

Thanks to all here.  I'm on the Celebrity Solstice sailing b2b from Sydney to Singapore and from Singapore to Hong Kong leaving SIngapore on November 3, 2024.    A call to their customer service as well as several posts from other Celebrity cruisers said they would not issue any Visas on ship either for free or for a fee and we needed to apply on our own.

Thanks to the information posted here, I was able to apply and to pay for them.  Now all 4 are in processing status.   Does anyone have any idea how long the VOA processing usually takes?  Web site indicated could be up to 7 business days.   

(Our New Zealand visas were available in 5 minutes after payment.  I was hoping I could get the Vietnam Visas within 48 hours).

Best,

John

ps- if anyone is going to Indonesia (Bali?) their E-Visa software is very difficult to use. 

Many including myself have dubbed it the "worst web site we have ever encountered". 

After 2 1/2 days and many attempts I finally got all 4 visa's processed and paid for a Bali stop. 

An odd thing with the Indonesia evisa site is you can process a Visa and some transactions lack a link to be able to pay and show "waiting for payment"  If so that is the like the black screen of death - you have to start over and reapply.   Communicating with the folks running the site using Google translate is like talking to a squirrel, but less effective. 

If you need help for Indonesia Visas, I posted some tips and many DO NOT DO THIS learned from my experience under Asia Indonesia.   Also see the Roll Call for Celebrity Solstice for the sailing from Sydney October 19, 2024   Cheers everyone!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 12:14 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

Any recommendations for agencies to handle Vietnam E-Visa for US citizens.  I have applied thru the Vietnam government website and paid the $25.  So far I have gotten 2 denials due to ‘incorrect photo’ (whatever that means) and 1 denial due to inadequate address for residency in Vietnam (even though I listed name of ship and detailed address of port).  To top it off, every time I access the application to edit it, the dates for entry into the country are changed.  It has been so frustrating.  I’ll happily pay more to get this done for me.  I’m looking for trustworthy agencies.  Any suggestions?

I'm curious about the process.  Have you paid $25 X 3 (since you have 3 denials)?  Or are you able to go back in to edit the original application.  Have you been able to secure your evisa?

1 hour ago, yogamom said:

I'm curious about the process.  Have you paid $25 X 3 (since you have 3 denials)?  Or are you able to go back in to edit the original application.  Have you been able to secure your evisa?

I was able to edit the original application so only paid the $25 once.  The good news is that I was FINALLY approved.

Edited by VitaminSea53
Clarity

10 hours ago, yogamom said:

I also received a denial on my first attempt. The reason for the denial made no sense so I simply resubmitted it and it got approved the second time - only paid $25 one time.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:00 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I still don't know for sure that the visa I have will be accepted.  However, both my and my spouse's visas do say "Good for single/multiple entries" so I hope it's fine for a cruise visit.  But the entry and exit dates on MY visa reflect "Good for entry valid from" a day before we're scheduled to dock in our first Vietnamese port (not what I put) and the "until" date about a week or so after we depart our last port.  My spouse's visa, however, (applied/paid for same U.S. day but slightly different time as mine) is a little different.  It has the date we're scheduled to visit our first port as the "entry valid from" date, and one day earlier than MY "until" date.  I'm assuming both of these things are due to timing and/or their policy of leaving some room for early/late visits, as I checked these applications several times.  There IS a number to call to ask questions, and an email address that I saw on the Vietnamese Evisa website (https://xuatnhapacanh.gov.vn).  I may email or call them just to make sure.

All I can say is good luck with your Asian visas!  

I've read and re-read various roll calls about the Vietnamese e-visa process.  After much stress, I managed to submit our applications and today we were approved.

However, it wasn't until after I submitted that I ran across this thread.  So now I am curious.  IWantToLiveOverTheSea I believe you got both your and your partner's visas approved.  But with different entry dates.  Were you able to reach out to them to get the dates changed earlier, in the event that the ship arrives earlier?  Please advise.  I'm now 'sweating' over this because I indicated on both of our visas that we are entering on the actual date that we are suppose to enter in.  But what if?  What if the Captain somehow decides to arrive earlier??  New set of sweat is beginning as I fret over not selecting an earlier date.  Look forward to hearing back.

1 hour ago, yogamom said:

I've read and re-read various roll calls about the Vietnamese e-visa process.  After much stress, I managed to submit our applications and today we were approved.

However, it wasn't until after I submitted that I ran across this thread.  So now I am curious.  IWantToLiveOverTheSea I believe you got both your and your partner's visas approved.  But with different entry dates.  Were you able to reach out to them to get the dates changed earlier, in the event that the ship arrives earlier?  Please advise.  I'm now 'sweating' over this because I indicated on both of our visas that we are entering on the actual date that we are suppose to enter in.  But what if?  What if the Captain somehow decides to arrive earlier??  New set of sweat is beginning as I fret over not selecting an earlier date.  Look forward to hearing back.

You are probably OK since my Visa entry date was changed (by them) to one day prior to the date I put down.  Best of Luck

On 9/13/2024 at 3:18 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

You are probably OK since my Visa entry date was changed (by them) to one day prior to the date I put down.  Best of Luck

yogamom: I goofed and didn't see a blurb in the cruise line's daily paper telling us that if we had gotten evisas at home, we needed to provide copies of them to Oceania.  So they ended up getting us visas and charging us for them.  I didn't realize what had happened until 3 days later, so it was too late for Oceania to try to re-imburse us. 

So I'm not sure if Vietnam would have accepted both of the evisas we obtained while at home.  But I'd agree that you're probably OK, even if the date on yours is the actual arrival date and you arrive early.  It's been quite rare that we've gone into a new country earlier than scheduled. I suppose you could ask once on board the ship.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea