How do you feel about an interior room?

On 4/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, Tatka said:

Our first room was OV ... we discovered that it is the least useful room out of all. Windows are not panoramic and rather small, so it is not convenient to use them. Most of them are also on lower decks.

I have found one exception to the least useful note. I realize this is a Royal Caribbean thread so I apologize. On certain Carnival ships - Sunshine class and I think maybe Conquest Class, the OV cabins actually have the same footprint as the balcony cabins, i.e. what would be balcony is instead interior space so the room is about 220 SF which is not bad. Also the window is in sort of a recessed shelf that kids can sit in and they tend to love doing so.  The view is not fabulous because these rooms are down on decks 1 and 2 and there's a lot of sea spray on them, but the windows are probably 2x3 feet, so not super tiny.  And you do get a good amount of daylight in the room which makes a difference for some folks. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 6:02 AM, Tatka said:

At home we have large beautiful backyard and porch which are greatly underused because if we have a free time we rather go somewhere (ocean, city, etc) than just sit there. I was always imagining what happens if I am in some high suite... I would be torn as I will still want to be mostly in Solarium (especially on ships like Anthem), listen to music somewhere in Boleros, playing shuffleboard etc.

THIS! 100% this. 

We have an amazing backyard. Seriously, people see photos and assume it's a pool at a resort (the backyard backs up to a desert mountain preserve, so the views are phenomenal), and do we use it? I went into the pool for about an hour today, but it was the first time October and I was the only one in my family who got in. 

We just don't use it - we'd rather be DOING something. Same thing with a balcony on a cruise ship. We've had them and just end up not even using it because we prefer to be out and about.

Edited by DukeASUGirl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We just don't use it

Sounds like our pool. At least it’s small and the money we waste maintaining it isn’t too bad. If we could go back in time, it wouldn’t be there. Oh well.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 12:59 PM, OCSC Mike said:

10pm is nothing. Seeing it light out at 2am in Fairbanks during our land portion was pretty trippy.

We were on an Alaskan cruise on the Sky Princess back in the 80's that went far enough north (don't remember the port anymore) where we stood out on the promenade at around 2AM and watched the sun dip, get just below the horizon and then start to come back up. It never got dark, just a really orange sunset/sunrise about 30 minutes apart. Unbelievably spectacular sight to see.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, CGinMTL said:

Prefer to travel more often in inside 

We usually bring a nightlife.

We just booked 2 insides for a family cruise 

One cabin will have a 2 yr old 

Just sent a note to DD to bring the clock she has at home 

Lets little one know if he can get up 

How would little one know in an inside hihi 

A note:  When my kids were little, we used to bring glow-sticks (from the Dollar Store) on camping trips or hotel stays.  They provide just the least little bit of light ... enough for a child to feel comfortable in bed, but not enough to keep him awake.  

On 4/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, TravelBluebird said:

I have never in 30 years of cruising cruised in an Interior room.

That is about to change ...

Not long ago we were in the same position.  Being recently retired, we wanted to see how little we could spend /enjoy our cruise.  We quickly discovered that we love interior rooms!  Oh, for the same money we'd want a balcony, but "same money" never happens.  

On 4/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, simon.hed said:

It is very interesting to hear everyone's opinions of promenade interiors on voyager/freedom class. The wife doesnt mind them at all. I personally think it's the bed config being in the end of the room on the interior cabins. Something off-putting about it, idk. 

Love em!  Having said that: 

- Agree that we don't love walking in and the bed being an obstacle ... but for this small room, it's necessary to give you the seating area near the promenade window.  Not a significant issue. 

- We were on Deck 7 only 2 rooms from the entertainment stage (so one of the noisiest promenade rooms), and we only found it "too loud" twice ... during two promenade parties.  It was the boom-boom of the bass.  We opened the curtains, watched the party and enjoyed it.  Each one lasted about 30 minutes.  It's not an all-night thing.  

On 4/21/2023 at 9:28 AM, time4u2go said:

I'd rather be on a cruise ship in an interior room than not on a cruise ship.

Hear, hear!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We were on an Alaskan cruise on the Sky Princess back in the 80's that went far enough north (don't remember the port anymore) where we stood out on the promenade at around 2AM and watched the sun dip, get just below the horizon and then start to come back up. It never got dark, just a really orange sunset/sunrise about 30 minutes apart. Unbelievably spectacular sight to see.

That would be pretty cool on a ship. It was cool enough to step outside the hotel/cabin we were staying in in Fairbanks.

We were surprised how quickly we adjusted, especially after spending a very long day getting there from Orlando. We even had to be up at like 5-6am to take a trip to the Arctic Circle the next day. It was probably the excitement of going on such a big vacation for us. We obviously love our numerous Caribbean cruises but driving an hour to PC to sail for 7 nights isn't quite the same as an 18 day land/sea adventure in Alaska. 🤣

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Being recently retired, we wanted to see how little we could spend /enjoy our cruise.  We quickly discovered that we love interior rooms!

Welcome to the cave club! 👍

• Like 2

Back from 15 nights in an interior on Radiance through the Panama Canal. 

Fantastic cruise, never regretted being in an interior.  Saved thousands which I put into specialty dining, excursions and extra tips.  By booking an interior cabin all those extra items were basically "included". 

I took hundreds of pictures during my cruise and I don't feel like I missed anything.  Never had to set the thermostat beyond the mid-position and my cabin was the perfect temperature.  Slept like a dream. 

Would I book an interior again for this cruise?  Absolutely!

No regerts (pun intented).

• Like 3

On 4/15/2023 at 6:35 AM, FirstCruise2331 said:

Some of the answers on here are clearly from people who have no concept that not everyone has the same spending power as them! I have been on 5 cruises, 3 interiors and 2 ocean views and have a Central Park Balcony in 2 weeks on Harmony. For me a cruise in an interior cabin sure beats no cruise at all! 

Except the title of the post is "How do YOU feel about an interior room?" Meaning, the poster is wanting other peoples opinions on what THEY would choose. Personally, I won't cruise without a balcony. If money was an issue, I wouldn't go, or I'd wait until I could afford it. I'm sure there are others who would just be happy to be on vacation, but I only vacation once a year because that's all I'm willing to spend away from my home and my dogs, so if I"m going on vacation, it's going to be luxury.

Kinda funny that we were in the Diamond lounge on our last cruise and there was a couple there who went on and on about suites.  I thought, "man, these people must be pinnacles."  Later in the cruise we saw them get off the elevator on deck 2 and followed them down the hallway.  They had an interior a few cabins down from ours.  Of course they still might have been pinnacles but then again, maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1