How do you feel about an interior room?

I received one of those royalup offers. I was disregarding it but now i wonder what its like waking up and not having the natural sunlight in the room in a interior. Are people leaving the light on in the bathroom or maybe bring a nightlight so there is some light in the morning?

1 minute ago, latebuyer said:

A re people leaving the light on in the bathroom or maybe bring a nightlight so there is some light in the morning?

This may vary a bit by ship. Some have built in night lights and/or have a virtual balcony screen which may provide some light. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Amen, not even for free.

We booked one for free. It was that or nothing. We added it to an existing cruise for a B2B. Second cruise was in a suite. It was our first time in years in an inside cabin. We enjoyed both cruises. 

We cruise often (about every month) so the cabin for one cruise was no issue. If I only cruised once a year, I would prefer a balcony or suite. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We booked an inside cabin once and said never again.

We need to see the sea.

Completely agree with this. The cruise is entirely different with a balcony room (even with spending limited time in the room). 

We love them and actually prefer the total darkness when trying to sleep. We never use our balcony when we have one and view our cabin as a place to sleep, shower, and change, so we'd rather use the savings elsewhere. Different strokes...

We've never brought one but I know many people use those small fake candles that run on battery as night lights.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

well for Alaska and Northern Europe in the summer, an interior room allows for better sleep.

And BTW, those balconies can be noisy if folks around you slam doors and or talk loud.

Also if windy the dividers can have a whistling sound.

So for the price difference. I try to get a nice interior without connecting doors.  More money to spend on other things.

I also like Oceanview windows especially at the front of the ship as well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, latebuyer said:

Yes i am going to alaska. You mean because it is light later in evening?

yes in the summer it will still be light at 10pm the more northern you are.

And really Alaska is expensive for shore excursions so spend the money there.  Get up and get out of the room and walk around. 

• Like 4

People swear by them for sleeping but I need at least a window for my body to function properly.  However since everything else in Alaska is so expensive if you can handle sleeping in a closet, go for it. In Alaska, you’ll be out of your cabin a lot anyway.  

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes in the summer it will still be light at 10pm the more northern you are.

And really Alaska is expensive for shore excursions so spend the money there.  Get up and get out of the room and walk around. 

10pm is nothing. Seeing it light out at 2am in Fairbanks during our land portion was pretty trippy.

• Like 5

I have done an interior on 2 different cruises, 1 a 8 day cruise and the other a 15 day Panama Canal. We were really only in our room to change clothes, shower and sleep so it wasn't a big deal. My last cruise we did an OV balcony and while I did enjoy the balcony we didn't utilize it much as we were exploring the ship I did enjoy it. That being said if the cost is close I would probably do the balcony again but if there was a big difference in price and it meant not doing a cruise this year then I would go with interior. 

• Like 5

and also more and more folks are louder on balconies and depending on where your room is, you will hear loud noises from the pool deck.  So if you get a balcony, make sure it is up near the front of the ship.   Again, I love Oceanview rooms more and more.  Especially in the front of the ship as more ships now have areas for suite guests only.  I do not like outdoor areas reserved for certain type of rooms.

Getting an oceanview in front of the ship allows me to see where the ship is going without the wind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

People swear by them for sleeping but I need at least a window for my body to function properly.  However since everything else in Alaska is so expensive if you can handle sleeping in a closet, go for it. In Alaska, you’ll be out of your cabin a lot anyway.  

Did the Ovation Alaska cruise last Sep. This was by far the most amount of time we have ever spent in the cabin and on the balcony.  Have never cruised in any thing but a balcony cabin and never will. 

1 hour ago, Nolefan95 said:

Completely agree with this. The cruise is entirely different with a balcony room (even with spending limited time in the room). 

We have had issues with balconies.Therefore,our preference is an OV with a large picture window.

• Like 1

I'm fine in an interior, especially Alaska.  I would much rather put money into excursions. 

I've sailed Alaska 7 times, twice in interior cabins.  The thousands I saved went into expensive excursions.  Helicopters, trains and planes for example.  I still remember those expereinces like they were yesterday.  My cruises in balconies and suites haven't left a lot of memories that involve the cabins.  Couldn't tell you much about those cabins but the excursions fill my memories.  

For $150 I'd upgrade to a balcony.  For $1,000?  Nope. 

• Like 14