AmaWaterways and Backroads Offer 140 Active River Cruises in 2023 – 2024

Host Jazzbeau

interesting, AMA hasn't marketed this at all, and as someone who is quickly running out of Rhine/Danube things to do with them this could add some reason to go back there.

Though I find it fun that the ship in the picture is NOT an amawaterways ship.

1 hour ago, CastleCritic said:

interesting, AMA hasn't marketed this at all, and as someone who is quickly running out of Rhine/Danube things to do with them this could add some reason to go back there.

I would assume that marketing would be through Backroads, within their cycling trips.

29 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Well it was at the time AMA i think Viera or could be Veela if you enlarge the picture, maybe because the hull is in shadow.

You know what, youre right thats the AmaVida one of the Portugal ships..Never saw a picture of one clearly from the bow before.  The rest have a bit of a distinctive look to them.

22 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I would assume that marketing would be through Backroads, within their cycling trips.

Looking more into it, for the one I picked at random (Sept 7 2024, AMALea, Danube)  Backroads has the ship chartered...or at least they have all the cabins reserved (though they do say if they haven't made their minimum group size 9 month out that other guests would be on the ship which I have to assume means that AMA would put the  normal itinerary on their page for those days and sell the remaining cabins).

had to given them an email address to see that much so I guess they may remind me of this option occasionally in the future now.

Edited by CastleCritic

2 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

Looking more into it, for the one I picked at random (Sept 7 2024, AMALea, Danube)  Backroads has the ship chartered...or at least they have all the cabins reserved (though they do say if they haven't made their minimum group size 9 month out that other guests would be on the ship which I have to assume means that AMA would put the  normal itinerary on their page for those days and sell the remaining cabins).

had to given them an email address to see that much so I guess they may remind me of this option occasionally in the future now.

The article that @Host Jazzbeau linked to above says that 2 of the dates are full charters; one on the Danube (that may be the one you were looking at) and one on the Douro. The others seem to be regular sailings, which I suppose is helpful if half of a couple wishes to cycle and the other does not.