Avid Celebrity Cruiser Looking for Suggestions

peachcreamsicle

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can possibly manage to spend $12k for four people (mom, dad, two teenagers) in inside cabins on Carnival. 

Is it possible, just possible the OP meant $1.2k????

Not sure if this $ amount is reasonable for the cabin type and # of passengers???

bon voyage

• Like 2

20 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

Last year, my in-laws celebrated their 50 year anniversary.  At the time, my husband and sister-in-law decided that in lieu of getting an anniversary gift, they’d treat their parents to a family cruise.  This seemed like a great idea at the time.  My in-laws don’t spend much on themselves, and treating them to a cruise where the whole family can spend quality time together seemed like a no-brainer.  

Fast forward to nearly a year later, and my husband and SIL have yet to book this family vacation.  We’ve tried on a few occasions, only to run into scheduling conflicts and conflicting ideas of what would constitute an enjoyable cruise.  My husband and I are recently married and do not have kids yet.  As a result, we can take vacations anytime, often capitalizing on off-season discounts.  My SIL and her husband have two teenagers (17 and 16), and need to plan around their kids’ school and activity schedules.  Any cruise they book must take place during summer, Christmas or spring break and have an abundance of waterslides and ziplines to keep the teens entertained.  As a result, these cruises tend to be far more expensive and packed with children. 

On her most recent cruise, my SIL spent $12k on a weeklong Carnival cruise over March Break (inside cabins).  My husband and I just got back from a Celebrity California coast cruise (balcony cabin) for under $2k for both of us. I’ve tried so many times, but I just can’t justify paying so much to take my 80 year old in-laws on a loud / obnoxious booze cruise.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a cruiseline / itinerary that would appeal to my in-laws, my SILs family and not be exorbitantly expensive? Please help! 

To use an English expression I think you are "putting the cart before the horse".

As your in-laws are well aware of the family circumstances/requirements set a budget and let the people you are treating choose the cruise within that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Interesting problem. You don't mention anything about your in-law's preferences--or are they just going to be along for the ride?

They’re older, so they’d prefer a more muted atmosphere. Their preferred itinerary would be a Canada / New England… which is what I’m focusing my efforts on finding. Hopefully I can find something that fits into my SIL and her families schedule 🤞

19 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Everyone love Alaska cruises, and I am guessing that you are Canadian, Vancouver would be a perfect homeport to use.  You could chose from HAL, Princess, Royal or Celebrity.  Good luck!

I hadn’t considered Alaska, but will definitely suggest. The sheer number of cruise lines / dates available bodes well for finding an option that fits everyone. 

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Is it possible, just possible the OP meant $1.2k????

Not sure if this $ amount is reasonable for the cabin type and # of passengers???

bon voyage

It probably was in CAD 🤣, airfare for 4 could be $2000CAD from YYZ to FLL , $500 CAD for 2 hotel  rooms in FLL , would you want to share a room with your teenagers 🤣

I have $4000 CAD for 2 inside cabins by the time you add in taxes, port fees, and tips 

Add in drinks 

would have been better off doing an AI at a resort 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how anyone can possibly manage to spend $12k for four people (mom, dad, two teenagers) in inside cabins on Carnival. 

Right?! My BIL told my husband and I’m pretty sure it includes their flights to FLL but still 😬

My SIL (and her kids) NEED each and every specialty restaurant / excursion and justify the outlandish cost since it’s for the “memories”.  

The funny part is that my in laws are the most frugal people ever. I’m not sure how my SIL went so far in the opposite direction. 

Edited by peachcreamsicle

7 hours ago, soniam said:

Exactly!!!! What the heck!!! We spent about that for a 9 Night Southern Caribbean cruise last July on DCL in a regular verandah for 2 adults and 1 kid (16). DCL is more expensive than most comparable cruise lines.

Wow! Disney is super expensive so that’s a great deal. 

Oh and I should mention that we’re Canadian, so the $12k is in Canadian dollars. This would be ~$9k in USD. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

We took four of us (two adults, two kids) for a week in a 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite with a Genie in Star Class... the actual cruise itself was just over $14k. Something doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the $12k is in Canadian dollars, so about $9k in USD.  This figure also includes 4 round-trip flights from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale.  

Other than that, I’m guessing it was onboard spending on specialty dining / excursions 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m just relaying what my BIL told my husband when his wife was out of earshot. 

While we truly love celebrity, S and E class especially, with a multigenerational family I would suggest Royal.  Especially the Oasis class ships.  Central Park view cabins are great and cost effective.  Price for deck 9, no balcony, but a huge picture window with a seat are about the same price as an inside cabin and very comfortable.  Price is very reasonable.  Very comfortable for three- some people might have four.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

I would actually do an Oasis class ship on Royal Caribbean. If you do Allure of the Seas, it is very very reasonably priced because they haven't gotten the big upgrades yet (but those teens would still have tons to do). However, I have 17 year old that just finished doing a cruise on the Celebrity Summit and she had a great time. She went to the teen club and made friends and we barely saw her the whole time.

Do what In-Laws want to do and take it from there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

I would actually do an Oasis class ship on Royal Caribbean. If you do Allure of the Seas, it is very very reasonably priced because they haven't gotten the big upgrades yet (but those teens would still have tons to do). However, I have 17 year old that just finished doing a cruise on the Celebrity Summit and she had a great time. She went to the teen club and made friends and we barely saw her the whole time.

Do what In-Laws want to do and take it from there. 

Oasis is great for kids and active adults, but not an  "elegant" experience. Our adult dtr found it a bit disappointing and shopping mall like!  But our son in law liked the zip line and flo rider..

We are seniors and  did not enjoy it very much.... too big, crowded in most places, tickets to reserve and lines to wait on.  The Diamond  cocktail hr was an exceprion..very well done! Daytime, we hid out aft in the adult only  area.

Dining on Celeb is much better;  even the  mdr is  better than specialty on Royal  in our opinion. even with skme cutbacks    Lots of family friendly  activities on X..teen/ kids club, stem, parties etc   Something for everyone.

What about something including new Eng,  Bermuda and Charleston along US East Coast?

trip should focus on the  desires and wishes of the parties being treated! maybe one nice dinner together at a Specialty restaurant..

if SIL wants extras she can book and pay for them sep.

just my thoughts!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

They’re older, so they’d prefer a more muted atmosphere. Their preferred itinerary would be a Canada / New England… which is what I’m focusing my efforts on finding. Hopefully I can find something that fits into my SIL and her families schedule 🤞

Aren't the Canada/NE sailings all occurring while schools are in session? Or are Canadian schools on break then?

• Like 1

First thing on the agenda for me concerning family group trips is to figure out how to avoid going. If that isn’t feasible… 

A Royal Caribbean smaller ship like Freedom Class may be a better choice. If the kid activities like slides are a requirement then Celebrity is not an option. MSC, RCL and NCL are your primarily contenders. Budget and itinerary preference need to be established first to make any kind of reasonable list of options. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

I hadn’t considered Alaska, but will definitely suggest. The sheer number of cruise lines / dates available bodes well for finding an option that fits everyone. 

you might check on of those online cruise sellers... there is one begins with "cruise"..... on this site you can select time frame, itineraries and cruise lines... and they will give you a list of options. That might be a good way to start... sorting through options... from there you can use your TA or go direct and see the best deal you can get. Note the cheapest times for Caribbean are during hurricane season also about a week after US Thanksgiving (but schools are in session), Alaska is always a bit pricier than Caribbean, but perhaps airfare between Toronto and Victoria might offset cost of flights to Florida or NY. I think New England cruises may be in the fall during school session.  I have used this to pick a few cruises..then I do a spreadsheet to track pricing on my preferred trip. Note... port fees in Alaska are much higher than in Caribbean... Don't forget the hidden extras of drink packages, gratuities etc.

• Like 1

Weather for a maritime sailing is to iffy

Last September there was a huge storm that hit the Maritime area 

Also , the kids would be starting school after  Labour day 

This would be nice, on  MSC , put the parents in the YC you be home before the kids are in school 

A lot of direct flights to London from Toronto 

The kids would also see a lot 

maybe my kids will takes us for our 45th next year 🤣

IMG_2880.thumb.jpeg.07a33aedeb2a01be6195abe4d5bd4b80.jpeg

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, mahdnc said:

Aren't the Canada/NE sailings all occurring while schools are in session? Or are Canadian schools on break then?

Princess seems to have some options in August. I’m hoping to discuss with my SIL soon 🤞 

• Like 1