Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

19 minutes ago, luvintravel said:

They will give you the new price as long as you haven't made final payment. That's why I don't pay till final payment is due. I keep checking for a better price. They have always honored that policy. It used to be (years ago) that they would give you a reduced price if you saw it somewhere else. Now only when they reduce the price.

The key date is when final pay is due, not when one pays it.

If I elect to pay before the final payment date for my own convenience, I can still qualify for a price drop (same as if I had not yet made final payment).  Such a price drop would be refunded to my credit card.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 9:45 AM, Homosassa said:

Years ago, many people played a fare game where when itineraries were announced, they would book and pay a deposit on multiple cruises across different cruiselines for a time period they were interested in.

During the time period before final payment, the deposited cruises would be checked and the fare churning for price drops or other perks would be done.

As final payment approached (thirty days in "olden" days), a decision would be made on which cruise and cabin would be the one for the trip.  All the others would be canceled.

As a result, the cruise lines would be left with unsold cabins that they needed to discount to fill the ship.

Cruise lines adapted to the gaming and changed the deposit and final payment rule. 

Deposits became non refundable for some cabin classes and final payment was pushed back to the time period that are now used.

Some travel agents also changed their booking procedure.  

I have been using one agent a t a large agency for a number of years.  During one of our more chatty sessions we got onto the topic of fare churning and booking multiple cruises for the same time period.  

He told me that his agency now will show all booking made by a client when they call to make a reservation.  If it shows that the new reservation overlaps a  cruise that is reserved, they will not accept the booking. 

I had not thought about the degree of fare games you describe, though it certainly might have happened.  I was only remembering that people would reserve refundable cruises and cancel them if other events/opportunities arose (or if a less expensive cruise popped up).  With nonrefundable deposits, people seem much more likely to retain their cruise reservations.

45 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The key date is when final pay is due, not when one pays it.

If I elect to pay before the final payment date for my own convenience, I can still qualify for a price drop (same as if I had not yet made final payment).  Such a price drop would be refunded to my credit card.

Not how it was explained to me by agent onboard the Oasis. But I'll take it.

2 hours ago, luvintravel said:

They will give you the new price as long as you haven't made final payment. That's why I don't pay till final payment is due. I keep checking for a better price. They have always honored that policy. It used to be (years ago) that they would give you a reduced price if you saw it somewhere else. Now only when they reduce the price.

When you make final payment is irrelevant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I had not thought about the degree of fare games you describe, though it certainly might have happened.  I was only remembering that people would reserve refundable cruises and cancel them if other events/opportunities arose (or if a less expensive cruise popped up).  With nonrefundable deposits, people seem much more likely to retain their cruise reservations.

I'm not sure that being "much more likely." Example: our TA booked non-refundable deposit by mistake on our January B3B. We throw away $900 if we cancel. But that doesn't stop me from shopping for less expensive cruises on Royal and other cruise lines. If I can save more than $900 + on other 21 nights in January, I would jump at it.

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

That's why there is a $900 deposit on suites.

22 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Actually not always.  Booked GS2bdrm on Navigator for 7 nt in July 2024. Taking our granddaughter.  Only asked us for $750 total for the 3 of us. Of course that's the cruise where they mis-priced suites at  less than balcony.   I booked this right after it came out. Paid deposit next day but expected a call that they made a mistake.  It's been about 2 months and haven't heard anything.  Will see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Actually not always.  Booked GS2bdrm on Navigator for 7 nt in July 2024. Taking our granddaughter.  Only asked us for $750 total for the 3 of us. Of course that's the cruise where they mis-priced suites at  less than balcony.   I booked this right after it came out. Paid deposit next day but expected a call that they made a mistake.  It's been about 2 months and haven't heard anything.  Will see.

We also are in this scenario.  We booked 2-14-25 in a GS for 2500 on the Navigator. I am sure that they will catch it sometime.

14 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We also are in this scenario.  We booked 2-14-25 in a GS for 2500 on the Navigator. I am sure that they will catch it sometime.

Ditto for us. We're in a GS for B2B sailings on Navigator in March 2025. The total cost for each cruise is $2658 (incl tax/fees) and the deposit was only $250 pp!

20 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We throw away $900 if we cance

Only if you completely cancel and that is only if the cruise was booked after June 1, 2022.

It is still only a $100pp fee to change ship or sail date and if it was booked prior to June 1, 2022 you can cancel and get a FCC for the deposit less a $100pp fee

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steveru621 said:

No it is not.  The cabin type has nothing to do with the amount of deposit required.  It is solely based on the length of the sailing. 5 days or less it is $100.., 6-9 days it is $250pp and 10 days plus it is $450pp

15 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

There is nothing to catch.  You paid the correct deposit amount as it is based on the length of the cruise

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Only if you completely cancel and that is only if the cruise was booked after June 1, 2022.

It is still only a $100pp fee to change ship or sail date and if it was booked prior to June 1, 2022 you can cancel and get a FCC for the deposit less a $100pp fee

Wow, I should have used one of our next cruises then. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You are good, $250pp is correct

The issue isn't the deposit but the lower than usual fare for the cabin.  For our GS2bdrm we paid less than the fare for a spacious js.  The next day they upped the fare.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The issue isn't the deposit but the lower than usual fare for the cabin.  For our GS2bdrm we paid less than the fare for a spacious js.  The next day they upped the fare.

It's been so long now you don't need to worry about Royal coming back and trying to adjust already booked fares

• Like 1

We booked a transatlantic cruise for Oct.15 2023 in April 2022. It went up more than 60% and I think the ship is sold out. I am happy I got the cheaper fare! And I booked a "spacious" forward looking ocean view for about what I paid for "inside" cabins on HAL for similar trips.

2 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

We booked a transatlantic cruise for Oct.15 2023 in April 2022. It went up more than 60% and I think the ship is sold out. I am happy I got the cheaper fare! And I booked a "spacious" forward looking ocean view for about what I paid for "inside" cabins on HAL for similar trips.

Not fair!  😁

I actually booked the same sailing earlier this month, and got a group rate that is almost half the current public rate.  🙂

On 4/22/2023 at 3:31 PM, Another_Critic said:

Not fair!  😁

I actually booked the same sailing earlier this month, and got a group rate that is almost half the current public rate.  🙂

Thanks Another_Critic. I remember your handle from the Roll Call.

Jim

On 4/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, steveru621 said:

Booked my first 4 Holland America Cruises last 4 months as they ran low SOLO and down payment specials. First 2 were $25ea down for a 18 nite Hawaii and a 16 nite Xmas/New years. Second 2 amount was $1 for each 15nite and a 14nite, both Panama Canals. Yes plan on going, but if don't $25 or $1 lost really isnt a big deal.