Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

This is our 39th year of sailing with RCCL. In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty. When RCCL finally went "computerized" we never got credit for four sailings we took in the Eighty's. Even after providing pictures of us on their ships, they only gave us credit for two out of six sailings. So, I gave up on that years ago. Now, another big slap in the face against us, on what may be our last cruise with them, we paid almost $1000 more than the current pricing for the exact same cabin ... the ship is no where near capacity for the sailing in three weeks. Literally, I've spent hours on the phone with RCCL and spoken to countless people about getting fair compensation. I've asked for one of three things. #1 refund the overpayment or #2 upgrade the cabin or #3 give us the liquor package and internet (which is actually less than what we overpaid). Without exception, every single person very, very emphatically told me I'm wasting my time ... RCCL will do nothing. I've even spoken directly to multiple regional sales managers and sent emails sharing the issue. We booked directly with RCCL while on another ship. I'm at a loss of what to do next ... trying to reach anyone at the Miami headquarters is pointless as they won't tell you who to talk to, and even if you did, they won't connect you. Has this happened to you before? We feel cheated and unappreciated ... ideas???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So you are sailing in 3wks……the price has dropped…..you are way past the final payment date…..and you want to be compensated???

There are no refunds after final payment for ANY of us so not sure what you are expecting….

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

This is our 39th year of sailing with RCCL. In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty. When RCCL finally went "computerized" we never got credit for four sailings we took in the Eighty's. Even after providing pictures of us on their ships, they only gave us credit for two out of six sailings. So, I gave up on that years ago. Now, another big slap in the face against us, on what may be our last cruise with them, we paid almost $1000 more than the current pricing for the exact same cabin ... the ship is no where near capacity for the sailing in three weeks. Literally, I've spent hours on the phone with RCCL and spoken to countless people about getting fair compensation. I've asked for one of three things. #1 refund the overpayment or #2 upgrade the cabin or #3 give us the liquor package and internet (which is actually less than what we overpaid). Without exception, every single person very, very emphatically told me I'm wasting my time ... RCCL will do nothing. I've even spoken directly to multiple regional sales managers and sent emails sharing the issue. We booked directly with RCCL while on another ship. I'm at a loss of what to do next ... trying to reach anyone at the Miami headquarters is pointless as they won't tell you who to talk to, and even if you did, they won't connect you. Has this happened to you before? We feel cheated and unappreciated ... ideas???

Yes, Royal changed the rules last year.... you used to be able to re-fare after final payment but that is no longer allowed.  Better practice is to watch fares before final payment and notify your travel agent to reprice the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your cruise is only three weeks away, you are way past final payment.  None of the rest us here on CruiseCritic are getting refunds for price drops after final payment.  You are not that special; you should not expect to get one either.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The new rules are no price adjustment after final payment. However if an upgraded cabin is similar in price to what you paid, I believe you can opt to change cabins at the current prevailing rate. 

Same rules apply to us all, just because you have 39 cruises does not mean you get special treatment. Sorry. 

• Like 11

Just for the record, this is common for lines to refund the difference regardless of date of payment. I've had it happen before ... you're not being treated special by only getting what you overpaid returned. It's just good business sense ... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

We realized about two weeks ago ... I know Princess will refund the diff ... we've sailed with them for years and it's happened before. 

Princess policies are irrelevant to this price drop question, as are past fuel surcharges 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

Just for the record, this is common for lines to refund the difference regardless of date of payment. I've had it happen before ... you're not being treated special by only getting what you overpaid returned. It's just good business sense ... 

Carnival only has one rate you can price match after final payment. I get what you are saying but its upgrade or nothing with rcl. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

You did not “overpay.”  You booked at a certain price and paid that amount.  You are now way past final payment and in penalty phase.  The rules were in place when you booked and you should have made sure you understood them before booking…that’s just common sense.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 10

I once filled my truck up with diesel at $3.99/gallon.  When I passed the gas station again that afternoon, the price was $3.89/gallon.  I stopped and asked for a refund of the price difference or, in the alternative, a pack of gum.  They refused.

• Like 10
  • Haha 29

You didn't overpay. You booked a cruise at a rate that was acceptable to you. Now the price is discounted to try to sell more cabins/fill the ship. I guess I don't know why you are that twisted about it. 

In the future, wait until after final payment to find a "better deal". But be prepared for guarantees only or cabins in less than ideal locations. Then you won't "overpay"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty.

What exactly do you mean by this? Did you expect them to upgrade you because you've sailed with them for 39 years? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

I just had show proof of my 80's Cruises. Original Cruise Cards with all information and got my Credit applied 2 decades ago. If you still had these or Original Tickets would work. Never got upgrade on Royal either. I like the product and Love price I pay with SOLO 340+ and Military Discounts. Choice.  And as was said change happened, no refund of Difference. Is what it is...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

To be honest I have expected Royal to quit giving out sailing reductions for the most part until after the final payment.  That way no one can reprice and they can keep the monies that were already spent.  Ships are filling up even though prices have went up...so why would they discount if they don't have to.  I am booked for 3 upcoming cruises and all three have very few rooms available.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

This is interesting. I have previously been refunded for price drops.

We had a huge price drop (approx $1700) last June on a Celebrity cruise. We already had tips, wifi and drinks included. I called, hoping to get a refund. No such luck. I was offered OBC instead, which I had no interest in. However, since that was the only option, I enjoyed the spa and bought some jewelry. Both something I wouldn't typically do.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bentl1 said:

Will they give you OBC for the difference in price?