What happened to Brilliant Lady

Wildcatllamas

6 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Someone on FB just posted that Virgin chartered their cruise for World Poker Tour. This gives a sense of what they are offering for cancellations a year out. 

I found this online “WPT Voyage onboard Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady March 31st to April 6th 2024 - Full Ship TAKEOVER!”

The FB poster said  “Virgin Voyages offered either a 100% refund of what you've paid OR 150% of what you've paid towards a future voyage”.

I really hope this Brilliant Lady TA doesn’t get cancelled because that’s totally shitty considering how much prices have gone up since people initially booked the Brilliant TA. 
Even 200% would be shitty since prices have more than doubled. I don’t think VV will ever have fares as low as they were in 2022. 

Personally, I’ve spent way too many hours planning travel around this cruise and stressing about it being cancelled. The reward flight ticket I was going to book is now sold out too. Overall, pretty disappointed. Even a 100% refund would be shitty because I paid in a different currency (used a TA for MNVV and the deposit was in USD), so I’ve fully paid and I’ll definitely take a hit on the conversion rate. 

Does anyone know how the MNVV works in the case of a refund without rebooking? Will I also get that $300 deposit back? 

Thank you! I am happy that someone else gets my drift... This isn't meant to be hurtful to anyone, but I am not happy with the VV experience pre-cruise. This is a cruise line that was developed by non-cruisers and venture capitalists. What could go wrong? Well everything!

If I get 150% of what I paid, that is less than $1500. Why should I even bother staying with VV? If this is what transpires, I am done with Virgin Voyages!  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, notme2012 said:

Thank you! I am happy that someone else gets my drift... This isn't meant to be hurtful to anyone, but I am not happy with the VV experience pre-cruise. This is a cruise line that was developed by non-cruisers and venture capitalists. What could go wrong? Well everything!

If I get 150% of what I paid, that is less than $1500. Why should I even bother staying with VV? If this is what transpires, I am done with Virgin Voyages!  

To be a bit fair to VV, it only sucks so much because the fares have increased so much in the past few months. Otherwise, 150% would have been fine. 
Cunard cancelled a transatlantic cruise the morning they were supposed to depart (engine issues). All they offered was a full refund and 20% FCC. Now THAT is truly awful. 

• Like 5

Until we know more, I'm not going to waste anymore time guessing.

All we know for sure is that the ship is slightly different, and that the World Poker Tour chartered another Lady Ship, with Virgin offering full refunds or 150% credit towards a future voyage.

• Like 4

Newbie jumping in here with a question. We are booked on the Brilliant Lady for a March 2024 cruise out of San Jaun (sunset on the lesser antilles) - is the concern about cancellation specifically over this TA crossing, or generally all the itineraries from the time it debuts up until this April crossing? When we booked we looked specifically at itineraries and didn't even realize we were booking on a ship that wasn't even going to debut until December 2023.

And BTW - thanks for posting all those pics of the ship (rendering, under construction, etc.) - I find them fascinating to look at and am really hopeful they take some of the criticisms of the prior ships into consideration when putting finishing touches on this one. I hear (and have seen) a lot of complaints about a small pool, odd configuration of some of the deck spaces (like where the net is), etc. Hopefully some of those are rectified or acknowledged with this ship. TIA. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mbot222000 said:

- is the concern about cancellation specifically over this TA crossing, or

This is only about the sudden disappearance of all the sailings of Brilliant Lady after April 20th, which includes the April 20th transatlantic.

So far all the cruises prior to the April 20th transatlantic all still offered on Virgin's site. So you are good. Enjoy your time on Virgin.

• Like 5

A lot of time and money spent on accomodations both before and after T/A on 4/20/24.  Not looking good.  Most cruise lines are booking 2025 and there still isn't a decision of spring/summer 2024.

Other means to get to Lisbon are adding up in costs.  First time VV cruiser and I am not impressed with the total lack of customer service on this voyage.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, diva.diva56 said:

Other means to get to Lisbon are adding up in costs.  

I did find flights that were running about $60 a person one way. Unless I win the Power Ball my work only allows vacations not to exceed 14 days. So that would mean I wouldn't be able to fly to Lisbon and sight see and then on to London for a day of sight seeing. My boss said she could give me a bit of wiggle room but not over an extra 2 days. So I know the frustration.

I've been following this thread with interest as we're booked on it.  Our girl has disappeared.  I checked the websites that show cruise ship schedules (cruise mapper being one) and Brilliant Lady is not in Funchal or Lisbon when she's supposed to be.  Zero zip nada.

I reached out to Virgin about where she's gone and have received no response.

I'm only a little peeved about this.  It's not like those of us who are experienced cruisers haven't realized that something is not quite on the up and up about this transatlantic.  I wish they'd make an announcement and get it over with.

Edited by dln929
spelling
  • Like 7

So I had to reach out to Virgin about a vanishing MNVV credit that I had and decided to ask once again what was going on. It took 5 hours to get the MNVV back on my account and the rep I spoke with said I was the 5th person in the last week to call about this TA. Each time she has to pass it on up higher since she doesn't have an answer. That doesn't sound like a lot but if one rep is getting calls like that I wonder what the rest are getting. Maybe we all need to call once a week and ask about it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

So I had to reach out to Virgin about a vanishing MNVV credit that I had and decided to ask once again what was going on. It took 5 hours to get the MNVV back on my account and the rep I spoke with said I was the 5th person in the last week to call about this TA. Each time she has to pass it on up higher since she doesn't have an answer. That doesn't sound like a lot but if one rep is getting calls like that I wonder what the rest are getting. Maybe we all need to call once a week and ask about it.

Good plan! I’m getting on chat now. 

• Like 1

Same old story😞 they still insist the cruise is sold out - which is why it’s not bookable on the website. When I asked why there are NO Brilliant lady sailings to book after April 19, they continued to insist that all those were sold out too. I think they just want to hold onto the funds as long as they can. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Same old story😞 they still insist the cruise is sold out - which is why it’s not bookable on the website. When I asked why there are NO Brilliant lady sailings to book after April 19, they continued to insist that all those were sold out too. I think they just want to hold onto the funds as long as they can. 

Every time I reach out any more I ask if it is still in inventory maintenance. That way if I get a newbie they go to a supervisor to check.. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Freelancer3 said:

VV is currently working though a bunch of January-March 2024 cancelled cruises in Australia. Maybe they will update us on Brilliant Lady after they process these cancellations and rebookings.  

I think what this tells us is that VV is still adjusting their 2024 itineraries to maximize profit, and are willing to just cancel on people who are already booked. 

Another theme is that their compensation model does not make things “right” in that people can’t just book a similar sailing on a different date, since prices have doubled for the people who booked in Fall 2022. 
IMHO, people should get at least an equivalent/similar cruise for what they originally paid. 

• Like 4

On 6/7/2023 at 11:52 AM, CanadianCruiser21 said:

IMHO, people should get at least an equivalent/similar cruise for what they originally paid. 

They should be doing what Royal Caribbean did, "Lift and Shift". That preserves the pricing and the payments made so far. But VV, does not do anything logical...more wishful thinking on my part. At this point, I think we should be happy we get our deposits back. As far as any special compensation, yeah, I won't hold my breath. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Golfergirl1 said:

My TA called again this morning. Got the “it’s still showing up in inventory but no new bookings are being allowed”. I’m getting used to that response now. 

It's like a broken record. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

Well darn! The friends who were going to go with me on this cruise got tired of waiting and booked one very similar on Princess.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I promised myself to never sail on Princess again. At least while John Padgett is in charge.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm sorry to hear this.

I promised myself to never sail on Princess again. At least while John Padgett is in charge.

You did hear John Padgett is with NCL didn't you. They are "loving" him, but the honeymoon period glow is still there.

I'm hoping Virgin gets their act together pretty soon. I just talked with one of the folks and they said if Virgin gets it listed they would consider cancelling and booking with Virgin. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

You did hear John Padgett is with NCL didn't you. They are "loving" him, but the honeymoon period glow is still there.

Wow...I had no idea he was already gone!

I have no doubt that he's probably the one behind all of the show cancellations on NCL.

3 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

Well darn! The friends who were going to go with me on this cruise got tired of waiting and booked one very similar on Princess. I hope that if this cruise happens that the fare is reasonable for a single.

Well it was a bargain - way back when - but I doubt it now. Look what's happening to the people booked on Celebrity Beyond's 24 TAs (sailing Caribbean year round now). Celebrity will move them for the "going rate" which is generally higher than when most people booked. 🤔

• Like 1