What happened to Brilliant Lady

Wildcatllamas

I was just checking the Celebrity cruise that is close to this cruise. The price is crazy expensive.

I  haven't had time to call Virgin again and see if I can get anywhere with anyone. We are looking at almost two months since everything for Brilliant disappeared. While I was on vacation I spoke with a couple who have sailed twice on Virgin and were on Scarlet back in April. Now supposedly (we all know how that goes) they were told Brilliant was going to transit the Panama Canal and reposition to West Coast to Hawaii. I would normally say hogwash but with everything having disappeared who knows what could be going on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I was just checking the Celebrity cruise that is close to this cruise. The price is crazy expensive.

I  haven't had time to call Virgin again and see if I can get anywhere with anyone. We are looking at almost two months since everything for Brilliant disappeared. While I was on vacation I spoke with a couple who have sailed twice on Virgin and were on Scarlet back in April. Now supposedly (we all know how that goes) they were told Brilliant was going to transit the Panama Canal and reposition to West Coast to Hawaii. I would normally say hogwash but with everything having disappeared who knows what could be going on.

Hmmm although I would love to see a Virgin ship on the West Coast, I wonder if the ship can sail through the Panama Canal. I say that because the she is very similar to the NCL Prima with the open outdoor deck area on 7. The Prima Captain told me that the Prima cannot sail through the canal because of that open deck (on the Prima it is deck 8). 

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Hmmm although I would love to see a Virgin ship on the West Coast, I wonder if the ship can sail through the Panama Canal.

It's been reported elsewhere, Reddit I think that the Brilliant was designed to fit through the Panama Canal.

Since the Med is already flooded with ships, and Virgin already has a presence there, I can see the Brilliant ended sailing the UK Isles, Northern Europe/Scandinavia, or a transit to the canal for the Mexican Riviera and Alaska.

Finding dock space this late in the game might not be easy.

58 minutes ago, FlyingAnchor said:

This sailing is our introduction to VV...can't say we're impressed. 

All of the cruise lines pull sailings from offerings for various reasons. Don't let it discourage you, the on-board Virgin experience makes up for all of the land-based nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Hmmm although I would love to see a Virgin ship on the West Coast, I wonder if the ship can sail through the Panama Canal. I say that because the she is very similar to the NCL Prima with the open outdoor deck area on 7. The Prima Captain told me that the Prima cannot sail through the canal because of that open deck (on the Prima it is deck 8). 

From this article it sounds like they have modified the life boat arrangement and the aft overhang so she can pass through the canal. No clue what they mean by aft overhang, maybe the dock’s side overhangs? I do hope they decide if Brilliant will sail some of the Northern Europe routes soon. I’ve been looking at Celebrity as a backup.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/01/virgin-voyages-building-a-brand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fogcityca13 said:

the aft overhang

That is what the Prima's Captain was referring to. I guess the Aft Overhang (whatever that is) prevents the Prima from transiting the canal. I am glad to hear that the VV ships do not have that issue. Thanks for the article! 🤗

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fogcityca13 said:

From this article it sounds like they have modified the life boat arrangement and the aft overhang so she can pass through the canal. No clue what they mean by aft overhang, maybe the dock’s side overhangs? I do hope they decide if Brilliant will sail some of the Northern Europe routes soon. I’ve been looking at Celebrity as a backup.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/01/virgin-voyages-building-a-brand/

The new promos are out and they only talk about 3 ships in 3 different regions.  No mention of Brilliant Lady. Custom service is still insisting the cruise is going to Lisbon. (Spoke with a supervisor today). "Don't worry if it's canceled we will let you know" I do not have a good feeling on this one.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, diva.diva56 said:

The new promos are out and they only talk about 3 ships in 3 different regions.  No mention of Brilliant Lady. Custom service is still insisting the cruise is going to Lisbon. (Spoke with a supervisor today). "Don't worry if it's canceled we will let you know" I do not have a good feeling on this one.

Lol of course they would let us know. The question is really why it’s no longer for sale online. But it’s too late to book the alternative TA anyway, even if they gave us 200% FCC. And based on based cancellations where they cancelled much closer to the date (for the bachelor charter), it was only 150% FCC, though they threw in a free cruise on a limited number of itineraries when people complained. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

Now supposedly (we all know how that goes) they were told Brilliant was going to transit the Panama Canal and reposition to West Coast to Hawaii. I would normally say hogwash but with everything having disappeared who knows what could be going on.

I read this article months ago, but would take it with a grain of salt. It's from three years ago and mentions VV and the Port of San Diego in talks with one another. 

It would be great me though😊

https://www.thelog.com/local/port-of-san-diego-contemplates-exchanging-marinas-for-cruise-ports/

Edited by TYCruise
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

That is what the Prima's Captain was referring to. I guess the Aft Overhang (whatever that is) prevents the Prima from transiting the canal. I am glad to hear that the VV ships do not have that issue. Thanks for the article! 🤗

The potential to travel the canal is very different from actually doing it. I mean, I have the potential to avoid the sweet treats in the galley... but.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, TYCruise said:

I read this article months ago, but would take it with a grain of salt. It's from three years ago and mentions VV and the Port of San Diego in talks with one another. 

It would be great me though😊

https://www.thelog.com/local/port-of-san-diego-contemplates-exchanging-marinas-for-cruise-ports/

I would love to have them on the West Coast. I just did a search and found a reference to San Diego doing a $5M renovation to their current terminal. This was released back in March. So maybe a small step till they can jump through the hoops to get another pier and terminal for cruise ships. In 2022 there was an article championing Virgins switch to biofuels and a small paragraph of how that would fit into West Coast sailings. Once again - who knows.

https://cruisewestcoast.com/sustainability/virgin-voyages-partners-with-sustainable-marine-fuel-providers.html

• Like 4

So I reached out yesterday to the TA I used to use when my late husband and I traveled a lot. She reached out to her BDM. They confirmed that this sailing is indeed in inventory maintenance and should be back live and ready to book soon. 

So guess I will be checking daily.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

They confirmed that this sailing is indeed in inventory maintenance and should be back live and ready to book soon.

I remember when they said that it would be back live on April 13th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

I remember when they said that it would be back live on April 13th.

I remember that as well. So now I wonder if they are making changes to cabins and need to adjust the inventory to reflect that. It is all a guessing a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildcatllamas said:

So I reached out yesterday to the TA I used to use when my late husband and I traveled a lot. She reached out to her BDM. They confirmed that this sailing is indeed in inventory maintenance and should be back live and ready to book soon. 

So guess I will be checking daily.

Hopefully you, or whoever finds it listed again first, will update us here. I’ll book my flights as soon as it’s listed again. Still have my heart set on going to Lisbon so this has been just really annoying. 

• Like 2

Just saw that Virgin Red is offering Med cruises in June and July 23 for 80k Virgin points, which is a great deal. It does however lend credence to the thought that Med cruises aren’t selling and makes it more likely that Brilliant Lady won’t be added for Med itineraries next year imo.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Just saw that Virgin Red is offering Med cruises in June and July 23 for 80k Virgin points, which is a great deal. It does however lend credence to the thought that Med cruises aren’t selling and makes it more likely that Brilliant Lady won’t be added for Med itineraries next year imo.  

It’s very likely because their target market is the US, and historically, it’s been pretty cheap/easy to get to Europe from the US (even during peak summer season).  This years fares are pretty unprecedented- our flights to Athens would have been almost twice the price as our upcoming cruise in coach, had we paid cash for them. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 4:31 PM, HBCcruiser said:

Only Brilliant lady does not have that issue.  The others do.

I still don’t understand what could be the  reason. Not selling May 2024 and later? Thats very late now. Others are already selling 2025. Maybe there is still the option that the ship won’t be ready by then (as it was that case for the resilient lady) . Or it is in fact that 3 ships in Europe are way too much. Fact is , we will never get the same price again for a TA if they cancel it (for me : again ) . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

No, Brilliant Lady was made to fit the Panama Canal. The other lady ships do not fit in the canal.

Reddit is not the best source for information.  At 125ft wide all of the lady ships can easily fit through the Panama Canal new locks which are 180 ft wide.

Here is a link to the ship builder website which mentions the ship is identical.

https://www.fincantieri.com/en/media/press-releases/2022/fincantieri-brilliant-lady-floated-out-in-sestri-ponente/

• Haha 1