Chart Room or Commodore Club?

burnsva

Commodore for me. They did lovely Mary Pickford cocktails last time I was onboard QM2.

But enjoyed Chart Room, Carinthia, Champagne bar and Golden Lion as well depending on mood ! Back onboard November -can’t wait …!!

Of course the entertainment depends on the reasoning.

Commodore Club is simple music that can accompany conversations in the evening.

Afternoon is good for gentle exchangings while some use for reading

Chart Room can be very upbeat with Jazz for listening only since it can interfere while talking.

Commodore is off the mainstream while in located along (Broadway) Corridor with alot of traffic.

Commodore Club would be our first choice on QM2 and Queen Victoria, followed by Chart Room QM2 then Golden Lion. We find the Chart Room on Queen Victoria a bit of a non entity and the Golden Lion on Queen Victoria dark and claustrophobic - only good for embarkation day lunch.

On QM2 Commodore club all the way. We didn’t make to afternoon tea because we camped out at the bar with a crossword puzzle book and the list of cocktails. Each puzzle has listed the cocktail enjoyed with it, and the date of course. Great fun!

We preferred the Chart Room on QV as it is perfectly situated mid ship between Brittania MDR and the Theatre and near the lifts. We only went up to the Commodore Club once and felt uncomfortable, probably not the right word but just didnt suit us nor the Golden Lion for that matter. 

13 hours ago, burnsva said:

Which do you prefer?

Depends which ship/ships.

On the QM2 we enjoyed the ambience of the Chart Room particularly when the Jazz band were playing. But we do love the library and bookshop and its little tucked away lift.

On the Vistas the Commodore Club is our preference principally for its location and forward looking vistas. The bar is also a very impressive structure in its style and displays. 

36 minutes ago, Petulia said:

Depends which ship/ships.

On the QM2 we enjoyed the ambience of the Chart Room particularly when the Jazz band were playing. But we do love the library and bookshop and its little tucked away lift.

On the Vistas the Commodore Club is our preference principally for its location and forward looking vistas. The bar is also a very impressive structure in its style and displays. 

I suppose the music on offer is the main factor in my choice. I like the Chart Room on QM2 but not so much on the Vistas. I prefer the Commodore on Vistas. In Alaska, on QE it was lovely to sit up there after dinner and look out at the sea at twilight.

13 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

Commodore for me. They did lovely Mary Pickford cocktails last time I was onboard QM2.

But enjoyed Chart Room, Carinthia, Champagne bar and Golden Lion as well depending on mood ! Back onboard November -can’t wait …!!

Oh, yes, I like the Mary Picford, too. And the honeysuckle daiquiri, my new favorite.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I realise I ought to know this, but I rarely frequent the bars in the evenings after dinner, and never drink cocktails, except fruit ones, but do the bars actually have identical drinks choices?

As with all bars you can order your standard drinks of preference and they will make them for you- but the bars on Cunard each have different menus for drinks that are unique to those bars.

I love the drinks choices in the Gin & Fizz Midships Lounge on QE and in the Commodore Club.

My husband loves the menu at the pool bar (he likes fruity drinks)

We both enjoy the menu in the pub.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

As with all bars you can order your standard drinks of preference and they will make them for you- but the bars on Cunard each have different menus for drinks that are unique to those bars.

I love the drinks choices in the Gin & Fizz Midships Lounge on QE and in the Commodore Club.

My husband loves the menu at the pool bar (he likes fruity drinks)

We both enjoy the menu in the pub.

Thanks. Only a moron (such as I) wouldn’t have guessed that there was a hint in the some names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I suppose the music on offer is the main factor in my choice. I like the Chart Room on QM2 but not so much on the Vistas. I prefer the Commodore on Vistas. In Alaska, on QE it was lovely to sit up there after dinner and look out at the sea at twilight.

Oh, yes, I like the Mary Picford, too. And the honeysuckle daiquiri, my new favorite.

Have to try the Mary Pickford. Kathy, can get it at any bar or a particular one?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Have to try the Mary Pickford. Kathy, can get it at any bar or a particular one?

Both Mary Pickford and Honeysuckle daiquiri are on the Commodore club cocktail menu. I've only had the Mary Pickford at Commodore club, but I have had honeysuckle daiquiri from the Chart Room. 

Can't find a pic of the daiquiri, but here's Mary Pickford.

IMG_20190628_195204171.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It all depends on what I'm up to. I've not been on QV/QE yet (QV next January!), so all of my comments refer to QM2 only. 

For daytime, my favourite location is actually the Carinthia Lounge. Comfy couches and chairs, decently quick service, and it's good for people watching, as it's a main pass-through between the spa/front of the ship and the buffet. 

The Commodore Club is great for daytime watching the world go by, if you can get one of the chairs by the windows. They close the curtains at night, so it can feel rather closed-in later in the evening. They do have a lovely cocktail menu, and although I'm not generally a drinker, I have started all of my TAs with a cocktail up there (which is usually my only drink for the week). 

The Chart Room has never felt as comfortable to me as Carinthia, despite having similar conversational groupings of seating - I'm not sure why. The Champagne Bar is mostly a space to walk through to get to the end of the Chart Room - the only time I've ever seen people sitting there (or have sat there myself) is during the champagne tea. 

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Both Mary Pickford and Honeysuckle daiquiri are on the Commodore club cocktail menu. I've only had the Mary Pickford at Commodore club, but I have had honeysuckle daiquiri from the Chart Room. 

Can't find a pic of the daiquiri, but here's Mary Pickford.

IMG_20190628_195204171.jpg

Seriously jealous - love Commodore and Mary P cocktails. Roll on November!

3 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

It all depends on what I'm up to. I've not been on QV/QE yet (QV next January!), so all of my comments refer to QM2 only. 

For daytime, my favourite location is actually the Carinthia Lounge. Comfy couches and chairs, decently quick service, and it's good for people watching, as it's a main pass-through between the spa/front of the ship and the buffet. 

The Commodore Club is great for daytime watching the world go by, if you can get one of the chairs by the windows. They close the curtains at night, so it can feel rather closed-in later in the evening. They do have a lovely cocktail menu, and although I'm not generally a drinker, I have started all of my TAs with a cocktail up there (which is usually my only drink for the week). 

The Chart Room has never felt as comfortable to me as Carinthia, despite having similar conversational groupings of seating - I'm not sure why. The Champagne Bar is mostly a space to walk through to get to the end of the Chart Room - the only time I've ever seen people sitting there (or have sat there myself) is during the champagne tea. 

Yes, Carinthia on QM2 is a good daytime spot. It's pleasant early in a cruise, before people discover it and it gets crowded. I like to have lunch there, especially on embarkation day, as I prefer something light and I despise the buffet on QM2. Carinthia on QE didn't have as much choice for food, and I didn't like the offerings. 

I often sit in a chair by a window in QM2's champagne bar in the morning after breakfast and read or catch up on my journal. Or just watch the ocean go by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We preferred Chart Room on QM2.

Any alcoholic drinks we consume would normally be available in any of the venues.

We visited Commodore Club one night at about 10:45 pm. It was fairly quiet. It was ok and the seats were comfortable enough but we felt the seating and carpet colour scheme not as easy on the eye as those in Chart Room. The shape of it made sections of it feel isolated, we couldn't see what folk at the other end of the room were up to. The sloping wall made it feel a bit closed in as well.

Chart Room was our regular for teas/coffees, aperitifs and nightcaps. We liked the shape, layout, colour scheme and atmosphere. It was also close to Britannia Restaurants, Queens Room and G32 where we would spend the rest of each evening. We found the waiting staff very pleasant too. I'm sure they're nice in Commodore as well but we had little experience of that.

The OP doesn't ask; but we don't normally go to pubs, so never ate or drank in Golden Lion. We did try Carinthia for afternoon tea/coffee twice and one evening for aperitifs at start of our trip. The staff we encountered didn't seem quite as friendly and service seemed slower even though it wasn't busy. And there was something about the ambiance we didn't feel comfortable with. Possibly explained by it being one of the venues where gala dress code doesn't apply.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

3 red Gen Cunarder- Chamnpagne Bar is also my spot after breakfast - great view´s out to the sea.

With all the activities on board, and I enjoyed seeing people sitting quietly reading...

• Like 1

On the QM2, Chart Room, Chart Room, Chart Room.  We are not opposed to the Commodore and have spent many hours there, but we love the design of the Chart Room and the jazz in the evenings.  This experience is what makes the QM2 special for us.  We will run to the Chart Room on our next crossing, in less than a month!  Save us a table for 2 by the window!

• Like 1