Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

24 minutes ago, anniegb said:

The goalposts are shifting all the time ........... One 'pink slip' party tried to L&S from Oct 23 to Oct 24 but that was overbooked.  They are now booked on a Sep 24 cruise which was not on any list.

I suspect Celebrity may have to expand the number of L&S cruises as there could be a supply issue................

This is what I am referring to regarding facts. I, personally, haven’t heard of ANY overbooked fall ‘24 cruises. I may have missed it, but if you could find it and copy and paste it, I’d be curious. 

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

did you book direct with X or through a TA? 

If direct, you may have been assigned a CVP who can possibly go to bat for you and most definitely if through a TA they need to step up and advocate for your needs.

Unfortunately, here in the US, most CSR's are trained to say no with upper management believing that we will accept it  and move on ... I say splash those waves and go up the ladder.

As I said, I booked directly with Celebrity.

Yes, I spoke with my personal CVP. I booked through her several Celebrity cruises over the years. Very nice lady.

Yes, she would have fought for me, but she can only do things allowed or possible with Celebrity.

The policy of what allowed or possible is set by the mismanaged Celebrity management, and not by her.

The Celebrity policy, as I told my CVP, is idiotic and hostile towards the customers:

A. Not allowing volunteers to cancel their cruise (for a compensation) and thus minimizing the issues and harm.

B. Celebrity is very cheap with its compensation for this Fiasco caused by them which ruined people vacations and caused serious financial loss to many.

C. Celebrity knew of this problem for more than 6 months and did nothing.
D. Not being flexible, allowing people to S&L to other cruises in other areas.

In our case, we had to cancel the cruise. We can't go next year.

The only offer allowed by celebrity to us is:
1. $450/person future cruise cruise that expires in one year. Hardly a worthy compensation.

2. Full-refund (cash, to the credit card) of all the excursions we paid for since the booking.
3. Future cruise credit with no expiration date of the rest.

As for #3 above, they claim I used Future Cruise Credit to book the cruise. Actually I paid cash for that, but due to Covid, I had to rebook 3 times and now it's considered "cruise credit" and not cash deposit. I can't get a refund for this.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, raananh said:

As for #3 above, they claim I used Future Cruise Credit to book the cruise. Actually I paid cash for that, but due to Covid, I had to rebook 3 times and now it's considered "cruise credit" and not cash deposit. I can't get a refund for this.

Ouch.  Celebrity should reset the expiration date on the FCC that you used since they are causing the cancellation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, anniegb said:

I know of one poster who had originally a 2023 booking.  They phoned Celebrity to transfer to Oct 2024 cruise and were advised that the cruise was sold out.

This is getting worse and worse every day.

We also have an October 2023 cruise that was "oversold". We can't go in October 2024, so we cancelled the cruise.

Now you are telling us that those who want to S&L / Transfer to October 2024 can't do that because those cruises are completely sold. So everyone who was "oversold" will have to cancel.

P/S: I said to Celebrity that I would be glad to go on a Japan cruise for October 2025, but Celebrity still do not have those cruises planned for 2025.

39 minutes ago, raananh said:

This is getting worse and worse every day.

We also have an October 2023 cruise that was "oversold". We can't go in October 2024, so we cancelled the cruise.

Now you are telling us that those who want to S&L / Transfer to October 2024 can't do that because those cruises are completely sold. So everyone who was "oversold" will have to cancel.

P/S: I said to Celebrity that I would be glad to go on a Japan cruise for October 2025, but Celebrity still do not have those cruises planned for 2025.

This was my issue with the person who posted that, and what posts are now becoming in general on this topic. It's gone from early posts providing factual info on what happened to them, and how it was being handled by Celebrity, to now becoming an "I heard" cavalcade of questionable opinions. If the poster comes on and tells us where she heard the Oct 2024 oversold bit, and it isn't another third party unconfirmed source, I stand apologetically. But if it is an unconfirmed story, leave it off here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clojacks said:

This was my issue with the person who posted that, and what posts are now becoming in general on this topic. It's gone from early posts providing factual info on what happened to them, and how it was being handled by Celebrity, to now becoming an "I heard" cavalcade of questionable opinions. If the poster comes on and tells us where she heard the Oct 2024 oversold bit, and it isn't another third party unconfirmed source, I stand apologetically. But if it is an unconfirmed story, leave it off here.

I agree. I think a lot of people "heard" things on Cruise Critic and are just repeating it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

First, I truly feel for those canceled.  It really sucks.  And, it should never happen.  AND the cruise line should bend over backwards to accommodate those affected.  But, of course, they really aren’t set up well to deal with it.  So, I get it.  It still sucks.

That said, I appear to be among those spared.  And I do keep asking myself why and believe I understand it all.  Since everyone has or knows only pieces of the puzzle and since speculation can be wild, no one can really put together the entire picture.

So, I will throw in my speculation based on my case.  I originally booked in 2019.  Two cruises, back-to-back. I lifted and shifted every time—through my now upcoming March/April 2004 sailings.  I have two other family couples cruising with me on the first of the two. I am Elite Plus Captains Club.I appear to have survived the purge.

First, I reject the conspiracy theory idea that Celebrity is weeding out the cheaper bookings.  I am pretty certain that MY bookings, based on when they were made, early pricing at 5he time an$ how they progressed through lifting and shifting, are among the lowest prices o& anyone booked.  If the conspiracy theory were correct, I would, no doubt, have been 5he first to be canceled.  I wasn’t.  

From what I gather, there were many DOUBLE BOOKINGS—in other words, same cabin.  I think what they did-easily the simplest explanation therefore usually the best— was to merely cancel the SECOND booking.  And that is where it gets tricky.  If you take it cabin by double booked cabin, the first booking IN THAT CABIN is not necessarily the one who booked earliest overall.  Since they changed ships twice, our cabin, for example, has changed every time.  So, the first booked is whoever booked into that precise cabin on Millennium, the second time around, first.  So, it’s Not when you originally booked, it’s when you booked next season’s Millennium…often the date of your lift-and-shift election.  So, anyone who quickly grabbed the new sailing is more likely to be safe.  Those who paused a second, for any reason, are more likely to have found a cabin that might have been booked just ahead of them.  Still sucks, but may explain why some who have had their bookings carrying over for multiple lift-and=shifts still got scr*wed.

Also, for us, trying to reconstruct our B2Bs in the same cabin, somewhere along the line, we negotiated an upgrade to Concierge…not because we knew the overbooking was coming…but just to get the same cabin for both as cabins were scarce.  Turns out we got lucky as Concierge cabins didn’t seem to have the overbooking issue.

@Bruin Steve On a somewhat unrelated Japan issue, could you send me an email?  My email address is in a link in my signature. 

Thanks,

Harris

Denver, CO

22 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Well I have read on this thread from more than 1 pink slip victim comments they have received from Celebrity agents that the Oct 2024 L&S cruises are no longer available.

I was not party to the conversations.  Maybe the cruisers who were will wish to unmask themselves but I will not.

If you read the thread carefully you will discover who they are. 

Silly me, I believe them and on that note I am out.

Edited by anniegb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, anniegb said:

Well I have read on this thread from more than 1 pink slip victim comments they have received from Celebrity agents that the Oct 2024 L&S cruises are no longer available.

I was not party to the conversations.  Maybe the cruisers who were will wish to unmask themselves but I will not.

If you read the thread carefully you will discover who they are.

Not available is possibly not the same as "oversold", like you said. It is very possible that those cruises are now full already. I apologize if I'm sounding short, but this topic has veered from its course, sometimes from misinformation, sometimes from word context. I'd just like posters to be accurate in what they are posting as there have been a ton of people negatively impacted by Celebrities actions, and inaccuracy doesn't help those still waiting with baited breath.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Not available is possibly not the same as "oversold", like you said. It is very possible that those cruises are now full already. I apologize if I'm sounding short, but this topic has veered from its course, sometimes from misinformation, sometimes from word context. I'd just like posters to be accurate in what they are posting as there have been a ton of people negatively impacted by Celebrities actions, and inaccuracy doesn't help those still waiting with baited breath.

I don't mind people being 'short' - I can come across like that myself.  I do mind other posters who do not want to search the posts themselves even though they say they are curious.  Anyway I am out,

33 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Not available is possibly not the same as "oversold"... those [October 2024 Japan] cruises are now full already...

This is exactly what we discuss now: all those whose October 2023 cruise was "oversold" are now not(!) able to S&L to an October 2024 cruise ... because the 2024 cruises are full. 

So all the "oversold" cruisers will now have to cancel and lose the ability to get a 2024 cruise for the same price of a cruise from 2023 (or earlier).

Thanks

Edited by raananh
Fixed a typo

55 minutes ago, anniegb said:

I don't mind people being 'short' - I can come across like that myself.  I do mind other posters who do not want to search the posts themselves even though they say they are curious.  Anyway I am out,

As you suggested I do, I searched through the whole 26 pages of posts on this thread, and did NOT find anywhere that said Fall 2024 was “Oversold”. I did find reference to at least 1 fall sailing in 2024 having no cabins available in a specific category, AFTER all the L&S started, implying that it was not “Oversold” in the context of Celebrity selling more cabins than they had, but rather sold out in some categories of the cabins that were available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raananh said:

This is exactly what we discuss now: all those whose October 2023 cruise was "oversold" are now not(!) able to S&L to an October 2024 cruise ... because the 2024 cruises are full. 

I was on Oct 12 2023 sailing and got shifted to Sept 12, 2024. I was V2 and when I got shifted on Monday, they said V2 sold out for Oct 6, 2023, so they offered me Sept 12, 2024. FYI, I booked directly with Celebrity and they noticed Oct 6 is U/A and the next Oct sailing is a different sailing (11 Nights), so they gave me more selections (all Sept 2024 sailings).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the reality is that pretty much everything on the boards is speculation or unconfirmed word of mouth from TAs or online Celebrity reps who are likely not in the loop. The reason is because Celebrity has provided no information on the issue, it’s cause or how it was fixed. Everybody is doing the best they can to figure this out to fill the void of information from Celebrity. 
I elected not to do lift and shift because I have no assurance from Celebrity that the problem is fixed and limited to the 9 cruises. Furthermore if the problem was caused by a Lift and shift then should I believe this current mass lift and shift is ok? 

• Like 1

I have received the lift and shift confirmation for Sept 12, 2024. My only comment was my 3 perks codes were not added to my booking confirmation. I called back and was reassured that it was a manual booking so they will not be able to send me a confirmation with those codes. There is a note written by a supervisor which cannot be override and mentioned i do have all the perks. The outstanding item is the uncertainty when I will get my non-refundable fees up to $500. I sent the documentations over, but I forgot to ask timeline.

I hope there will be no issues in the future of getting the few perks or being cancelled again. I noticed most TA letters on this forum got the Sept 24, Oct 6 and Oct18 options. If there are 1000 passengers choosing L&S option (difference between solstice and millie), I'm sure those selected sailings will be full soon.

Edited by wahwah1
  • Like 1

I really hope everyone who has been affected by this is emailing the executive office to communicate the awful way this has been handled.  I also suggest people try to start contacting the media, I am sorry but this has been a complete shxx show on Celebrity’s part.  I also tried to get information on volunteering to cancel and never got a straight answer.  This should have been handled by their most experienced employees and there should not be so much confusion on what is an option or available to those impacted.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wahwah1 said:

I have received the lift and shift confirmation for Sept 12, 2024. My only comment was my 3 perks codes were not added to my booking confirmation. I called back and was reassured that it was a manual booking so they will not be able to send me a confirmation with those codes. There is a note written by a supervisor which cannot be override and mentioned i do have all the perks.

Going on my previous (3) L&S experiences with X, you initially get a full receipt without perks etc on it. Then within a few days (maybe 7) you should receive an updated invoice from them that includes everything you had previously. I think another department has to do it, hence the delay. You might have to reach out to them if you do not get it within a week

• Like 1

I’ve been watching this thread for days.  We are booked on the November 3, 2023 sailing. Once people on our roll call started posting about the notices, I’ve been sweating bullets.  Thankfully we have not received a notice about our booking.

Reading about those affected here makes me think a class action suit is required. This and only this will get Celebrity’s attention and force them to correct their ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmarrsouth said:

Going on my previous (3) L&S experiences with X, you initially get a full receipt without perks etc on it. Then within a few days (maybe 7) you should receive an updated invoice from them that includes everything you had previously. I think another department has to do it, hence the delay. You might have to reach out to them if you do not get it within a week

Thank you.  I was told by celebrity I won't be receiving anything. Perhaps I won't call the redeployment hotline and try the regular hotline.

43 minutes ago, Sstan said:

I’ve been watching this thread for days.  We are booked on the November 3, 2023 sailing. Once people on our roll call started posting about the notices, I’ve been sweating bullets.  Thankfully we have not received a notice about our booking.

Reading about those affected here makes me think a class action suit is required. This and only this will get Celebrity’s attention and force them to correct their ways.

Not much chance of legal action being successful. These are the terms you agree to when booking the cruise:

7. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 7.e below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

Not saying this is right, just what’s in the T&C. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sstan said:

I disagree.  Those terms were not given to me by my TA during booking.  I’m no attorney but have studied contract law and think this has merit. 

Don't you think your TA was acting as your 'Agent' and accepted the Terms and Conditions on your behalf when the booking took place?  I'd say yes and whether he/she presented the document to you is irrelevant.  I'm no lawyer but did watch The Paper Chase.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1