princess insurance policy question--recent surgery AND passport hasn't arrived

moondoggie

We have been booked to cruise on Princess May 6-13, 2023.

Husband had surgery April 10, then complications, so wasn't released from the ICU until April 16.  Still experiencing pain and on serious medications.  

Also new passport hasn't arrived--big SNAFU with Dept of State/Passport Office.

We bought the Princess Insurance, the regular not the premium.  I have tried to decipher it and get answers, but to no avail!

Can anyone help us with determining if we are able to use the Princess Insurance for either/both of this situations, so we can cancel and then rebook using the Princess credit?

Thank you so much!

8 minutes ago, Potstech said:

If a doctor will sign paperwork to say he should not travel then a good possibility. Passport problems is anyones guess.

Passport is not a medical situation.

However, if one partner has a medical issue to cancel, the other cabin mate is covered AFAIK (i.e., not expected to cruise alone and leave partner at home in medical condition).

• Like 1

If you go into your Cruise Personalizer and click on the upper right corner where you print luggage tags and travel summary you will find a link to print out your plan or you can try this link for an overview https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

in general Princess Standard Insurance will cover 75% of your penalties as a future cruise credit for a non-covered reason ( the passport issue would be “cancel for any reason” ) or up to 100% for qualifying illness.  Here’s a link to the applicable page https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/PCT_Std_Landing.html

if you cancel Princess will refund your taxes, port fees, excursions and any pre-purchased items. You will then file a claim with AON and they will ask for medical documentation and a claims adjuster will determine how the claim is settled ( cash as described in the policy terms or a future cruise credit). 

• Like 3

Is your husband's medical condition new or was it known before final payment? This is huge when it comes to Princess's insurance and getting your money back.

As far as getting a credit - anyone can get future credit. It is a percentage unless you pay for the higher tier (75% for standard and 100% for Platinum). It is a cancel for any reason insurance.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Is your husband's medical condition new or was it known before final payment? This is huge when it comes to Princess's insurance. 

Yep!  If it's a pre-existing condition then it would be considered under cancel for any reason and would qualify for the 75% or 100% FCCs depending on the plan.

By the way, the State Department delivered early compared to their published timing on processing my DH's passport renewal.  He sent it via priority mail on March 14th and paid for expedited processing.  Online status indicated they received it on March 17th.  On March 15th the status listed that it would arrive on or about March 22nd, however, it arrived on the 15th.  So he received it a month and a day after mailing it in.  I hope others receive their passports earlier than promised!

18 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

He sent it via priority mail on March 14th and paid for expedited processing.  Online status indicated they received it on March 17th.  On March 15th the status listed that it would arrive on or about March 22nd, however, it arrived on the 15th. 

That’s encouraging. I submitted my daughter’s on 3/24 with expedited service and overnight delivery. They received it on 3/24. Application showing “in progress”. We don’t sail until 6/23 so we still have some time before we start freaking out. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tapi said:

That’s encouraging. I submitted my daughter’s on 3/24 with expedited service and overnight delivery. They received it on 3/24. Application showing “in progress”. We don’t sail until 6/23 so we still have some time before we start freaking out. 

Oh my I indicated March instead of April in the last couple of dates but still a month and a day is all it took.  Hopefully the timing holds and you'll get your daughter's passport this Saturday.  With all of the press about processing delays it is a huge relief when it arrives.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

If you cancel for any reason ( not covered by medical certificate) the amount of the penalty (money lost) depends on number of days before sailing, greater penalty closer you are to sailing. Check link in post#4 for details.