New to Quantum

I recently booked Quantum while onboard the Vision, primarily for the itinerary, but also because I want to try something different. My cruise history is mostly  Radiance & Vision class (19) in addition to three Voyager class, and one Freedom class.

It's not until Oct 2024, but I wonder how much of a shock I am in for, as far as differences with onboard experiences. I did peak at the deck plans, but I'm not sure it's giving me a good prediction of what to expect.

1 hour ago, superduper123 said:

I did peak at the deck plans, but I'm not sure it's giving me a good prediction of what to expect.

Look for some video reviews on any of the "regular" Q class ships (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, superduper123 said:

I recently booked Quantum while onboard the Vision, primarily for the itinerary, but also because I want to try something different. My cruise history is mostly  Radiance & Vision class (19) in addition to three Voyager class, and one Freedom class.

It's not until Oct 2024, but I wonder how much of a shock I am in for, as far as differences with onboard experiences. I did peak at the deck plans, but I'm not sure it's giving me a good prediction of what to expect.

Quantum class is our favorite.  We have been on both Anthem and Ovation.  Cafe TWO70 (aft, deck 5) is a great food venue for a lighter breakfast and lunch.  It has almost identical menu to the Park Cafe on Oasis class ships.  Less crowds as well earlier in the cruise as it isn't as easily discovered until more events in TWO70 bring people all the way aft.

The Jr. Suites mid ship on decks 9 and 10 (forward of the bump out at the mid ship elevators) have both a 1/2 bath and a full bathroom.  We like having 2 commodes in one cabin.

Otherwise, there are more lounges and such on Q class ships.  While they can carry more passengers the additional size seems to handle the population better than Oasis class ships IMHO. 

• Like 1

We strongly prefer bigger ships (though we have never had a bad cruise).  You simply get more good stuff with more space. And RCI does a good job overall of crowd management so that, while there are of course more people on a larger ship, there are lots of places to be which spreads it out and it rarely feels like too many people (basing this on our experience of Oasis of the Seas on a full booking during a spring break timeframe). 

A main point might be the need to prebook certain shows - I am not 100% sure on this myself as we just booked our first Quantum class (Ovation) for May 2024 and my account is suggesting the evening entertainment needs to be reserved, which is what we did on Oasis class. However on other threads people have told me that Ovation has only one show that needs prebooked so basically when the time gets closer I will be checking it out. The high quality evening entertainment on RCI is one of the primary benefits for us so we are willing to do whatever it takes to prioritize this.

Some people don't like the prebooking, want to be spontaneous on vacation but to me it's no different than prebooking a shore excursion or a specialty meal. 

Another point might be just having to traverse further and more often to get from wherever you find yourself to wherever you're going. Like a Vegas megaresort. Pace yourself, allow time for elevators and/or stairs and/or getting a bit lost before finding your way.

And a slight improvement may be a few more included food venues to jazz things up a little, than you have had on the smaller ships, as well as a nice selection of specialties if you like that sort of thing.  After Oasis which has a ton of included dining, we found Adventure of the Seas options surprisingly limited - however since the Windjammer was exceptional on our sailing we were still very well taken care of and happy, just accepted that we would have 80% plus of our meals there.

Last point, since you obviously like RCI you should overall get the same pleasant experience and high quality product you are used to, just in a newer and larger package.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 8:56 AM, superduper123 said:

While the information is almost a year old, here's our live post from the Quantum with photos.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, superduper123 said:

The overall vibe on board will be much more similar to your Freedom and Voyager Class cruises.  

I love the Quantum Class ships.  They are my favorite RCI ship class.  Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

• Like 2