Is P & O for me??

Advice needed please. I am considering a cruise from NZ to the South Pacific with P&O. I will be travelling solo, elderly female, and just want a relaxing, away-from-it-all break. I'll probably book a balcony cabin to have some private outdoor space.

I have looked at other cruise lines e.g Princess and Carnival and they would be far too "busy" for me. Will P & O suit me, or is it going to be too "busy" too??

I have looked at smaller ships like Ponant and Paul Gauguin, but have not found an itinerary I like, because I would prefer to leave from NZ.

I have also posted this on the P & O forum.

Thanks

I'm curious - why do you think Princess is "too busy"? 

We cruise Princess regularly and find it very relaxing. One thing Princess has that P&O doesn't is The Sanctuary - a pay extra area up on one of the top decks with super-comfy loungers and great service including afternoon tea served to your lounger. It's always very peaceful. We spend most afternoons there on our cruises , weather permitting. You have to up there as soon as you embark to book, especially if you want a lounger in the shade. $20pp for a half day. 

• Like 1

We have sailed P&O, Princess and Royal Carribean. Princess is definitely the most relaxing and is an older age range of passengers generally. P&O is also great but have found those a big livelier although so far we have only done short cruises on them which will always be busier, I would think a longer cruise will be more relaxed. Have you had a look at Celebrity at all? They do some nice NZ itineraries and are generally mostly adults on their ships. 

Also have you thought About Virgin resilient lady  you might be able to pick up a cruise from N.Z  to do the south Pacific

Virgins Cruises are Adults only so wont be no screaming kids  and maybe more relaxed  and getting a balcony or a suite  just for those moments for your self

Hi Korimako

With P&O we are generally talking about P&O Australia here, and P&O here is geared more for the younger to middle aged adult group. Although families and older generation people do sail with them as well.

They do have a leaning to more active dancing and adult only entertainment,

we're in our later years so to speak😃 and we have travelled on them recently and while not my choice of cruise line, the cruise was  fine.

My leaning is to Princess as I have found them to cater for the older generation better IMHO.

Princess & P&O Aust have been the main stay of cruising and Aust & NZ for many years, how ever recently Carnival and others have recently started to give this area of cruising more offerings, so may be worth looking at as well.

But as OzKiwiJJ said why do you think Princess is to busy? I've always found it to be  very calm environment for cruising.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi Korimako

Forgot to mention that besides P&O Aust there is also P&O UK, which is another kettle of fish as they say.

P&O UK is more like Princess in cruise style, and if their sailing a cruise through the area your looking to cruise, then they would also be a good option to check out.

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Korimako

Forgot to mention that besides P&O Aust there is also P&O UK, which is another kettle of fish as they say.

P&O UK is more like Princess in cruise style, and if their sailing a cruise through the area your looking to cruise, then they would also be a good option to check out.

P&O Uk is better than P&O Aust. From my research.

• Like 1

I think the real decider will be who has a South Pacific itinerary departing from Auckland. Am I right in thinking that is only P&O?

However if @Korimako is prepared to fly to Brisbane I would highly recommend Coral Princess, which is the best of the Princess ships currently operating here in my opinion.

Some of the balcony cabins on Coral aren't covered so ask for advice if you choose this option. 

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

P&O Uk is better than P&O Aust. From my research.

Been on P&O UK a few times, Arcadia, Oriana and Aurora. Decent ships, food good, entertainment good. They are close to Cunard in terms of tradition, i.e. jacket and tie job in certain areas after 6pm. J jacket and tie in MDR's on formal nights, it is enforced. But otherwise close to Princess.

Nothing like P&O Australia.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:26 AM, ozdevil said:

Also have you thought About Virgin resilient lady  you might be able to pick up a cruise from N.Z  to do the south Pacific

Virgins Cruises are Adults only so wont be no screaming kids  and maybe more relaxed  and getting a balcony or a suite  just for those moments for your self

No such thing. Virgin is only doing Australia & NZ.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 8:24 AM, Korimako said:

Advice needed please. I am considering a cruise from NZ to the South Pacific with P&O. I will be travelling solo, elderly female, and just want a relaxing, away-from-it-all break. I'll probably book a balcony cabin to have some private outdoor space.

I have looked at other cruise lines e.g Princess and Carnival and they would be far too "busy" for me. Will P & O suit me, or is it going to be too "busy" too??

I have looked at smaller ships like Ponant and Paul Gauguin, but have not found an itinerary I like, because I would prefer to leave from NZ.

I have also posted this on the P & O forum.

Thanks

If you consider Princess & Carnival as far too busy, P&O will also be the same. Apart from Holland America, I can't think of a large ship cruise line that offers a mostly relaxed and chilled environment. Holland America has no South Pacific departures from Auckland anyway.

All ships have busy spaces, but they also have quiet spaces such as Princess' Sanctuary. We have found the adults only areas on Carnival or P&O to be not as quiet in comparison.

But, as already mentioned, it is possible to have a quiet time on any ship. Avoid the daily activities and the pool deck, eat earlier or later than the masses, enjoy your balcony etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

No such thing. Virgin is only doing Australia & NZ.

i thought i seen somewhere they was doing a cruise from nz up to the south pacific  , maybe i was look at another cruise line   

my mistake and apologies

• Like 1

You mentioned considering smaller ships, so have you looked at Azamara. They have really good itineraries, and you will find at least one cruise leaving from Auckland for a 16 or 17 day cruise, returning by air from Sydney, or sail out of Melbourne to Auckland. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i thought i seen somewhere they was doing a cruise from nz up to the south pacific  , maybe i was look at another cruise line   

my mistake and apologies

Down the track, maybe they will. They do call one of their cruises a "Pacific Island holiday". Alas, that is a cruise from Melbourne to Burnie, Hobart & back. Their first season is super conservative for a brand that is supposed to have so much style. The cruises between Melbourne & Auckland are one way, and the only loop cruises are from Melbourne to Tassie. 2024/5 cruises should be announced soon, and I hope that season will both be longer and with more variety.

• Like 1

We have booked Melb to Auckland via Sydney and then b2b Auckland to Melbourne via Hobart.  No ports are duplicated and it becomes a 20 nighter.  Sometimes ask myself if I have gone mad when I look at the average age group.  I can always hide in my cabin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ondine said:

We have booked Melb to Auckland via Sydney and then b2b Auckland to Melbourne via Hobart.  No ports are duplicated and it becomes a 20 nighter.  Sometimes ask myself if I have gone mad when I look at the average age group.  I can always hide in my cabin.

Let me know how your cabin goes. It is hard to find glowing reviews about the comfort of the cabins. 

I don't expect the average age to be much lower despite the way they are pitching them. Branson fans are either retired or close to it, and there will be lots of us rusty cruisers keen to just try something a bit different. Having no kids means no young families, so it could be young and old with little between.

• Like 1

We have also booked the first/initial voyage - 5 nights Melb/Burnie/Hobart - just to get a heads up before embarking on the 20 nights in Feb. I hate to think what this will be like with probably a lot of influencers/freebees? and whoever.  I am expecting this to be a party/booze cruise and not the same cruisers who will do the longer cruises later.

I have looked at several videos by guests who have cruised Scarlet and Valiant.  I am sure Resilient will be similar.  She does her maiden voyage on May 15th so no reviews yet.  Some say the beds are too hard some say ok.  Most who go twin (as we will) are not impressed with the configuration.  I am hoping against hope that Resilient may be different!!  Don't fancy head to head or head to feet but will deal with that when it happens.  Lack of desk space doesn't worry me because I am not doing any work.  I would like a door on my wardrobe but I guess a curtain will suffice.

We have booked an standard Sea View balcony.  Deck 13 - cabins above and below and hopefully far enough aft so we don't hear any noise from late night deck parties.  I don't want an XL sea terrace because I don't like the look of the layout and definitely want a door on my bathroom even if there is slightly more room in them.

Looking forward to the hammock on the balcony but don't like the look of the silly little chairs.  They don't look comfortable.  Time will tell.  Food looks good and as long as there is trivia I will be happy.  At least they are homeporting Melbourne and are coming back the next season also.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I did hear from someone - not on Cruise Critic - that P&O Australia can be quite rowdy with hen parties and the like, so I'm more inclined to look at Princess. When I said "busy" before, it was more along the lines that there were lots of activities going on, but as people have pointed out, I can ignore them!

4 hours ago, Korimako said:

Thank you all for your replies. I did hear from someone - not on Cruise Critic - that P&O Australia can be quite rowdy with hen parties and the like, so I'm more inclined to look at Princess. When I said "busy" before, it was more along the lines that there were lots of activities going on, but as people have pointed out, I can ignore them!

Yes, there can be some rowdy or certainly less relaxing cruises. For the worst suspect, a short P&O cruise near the end of uni summer holidays would be top of the tree. Still, it is more about the timing and the length of cruise that affects the atmosphere. It is much harder to have a 2 week hens party than it is to have a 3 night version.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:16 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the real decider will be who has a South Pacific itinerary departing from Auckland. Am I right in thinking that is only P&O?

However if @Korimako is prepared to fly to Brisbane I would highly recommend Coral Princess, which is the best of the Princess ships currently operating here in my opinion.

Some of the balcony cabins on Coral aren't covered so ask for advice if you choose this option. 

Celebrity  do a South Pacific ex Auckland but it books up really quickly as it's popular

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, Ondine said:

We have also booked the first/initial voyage - 5 nights Melb/Burnie/Hobart - just to get a heads up before embarking on the 20 nights in Feb. I hate to think what this will be like with probably a lot of influencers/freebees? and whoever.  I am expecting this to be a party/booze cruise and not the same cruisers who will do the longer cruises later.

I have looked at several videos by guests who have cruised Scarlet and Valiant.  I am sure Resilient will be similar.  She does her maiden voyage on May 15th so no reviews yet.  Some say the beds are too hard some say ok.  Most who go twin (as we will) are not impressed with the configuration.  I am hoping against hope that Resilient may be different!!  Don't fancy head to head or head to feet but will deal with that when it happens.  Lack of desk space doesn't worry me because I am not doing any work.  I would like a door on my wardrobe but I guess a curtain will suffice.

We have booked an standard Sea View balcony.  Deck 13 - cabins above and below and hopefully far enough aft so we don't hear any noise from late night deck parties.  I don't want an XL sea terrace because I don't like the look of the layout and definitely want a door on my bathroom even if there is slightly more room in them.

Looking forward to the hammock on the balcony but don't like the look of the silly little chairs.  They don't look comfortable.  Time will tell.  Food looks good and as long as there is trivia I will be happy.  At least they are homeporting Melbourne and are coming back the next season also.

I'm on this cruise too, just to try Virgin out.  I'm really hoping for relaxing time.

• Like 1