ANYONE ON OR JUST OFF QUEEN ELIZABETH

Down-Unders

I have been reading on CC reviews, Cunard Q E Unrecognizable, Poor Service, Food up and down, not Value for money anymore, the only good reviews came the Grills, more like a 3 star ship with Dropping Standards. I know one has to have an open mind with regards reviews but with a 20 and 18 day cruise booked should we be concerned ?

I do think that you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt. Some people write reviews regardless of if they have a fabulous time or have some concerns. BUT... sometimes reviews are just written by people who had problems with their trip. They want their voices heard.

So absolutely, pay attention to what people are writing. 

Still, know that you are not getting a picture of everyone's experience. You are just hearing from people who wanted to write.

QE before the pandemic (2019) was absolutely wonderful. My only real complaints were the complimentary coffee in the Lido (the coffee for purchase was lovely- but I am a coffee snob who truly loves good black coffee with nothing else in it) and Cunard's WIFI as compared to the quality of other lines (wifi is something that I have to have as a business owner- I am not retired).

Otherwise, I had one of the best trips of my life. Our Cunard voyage was so amazing that we booked QE for 2020. (Of course that did not work out)

I have been waiting and planning since then- I will be back on board QE this summer in 2023 for Alaska. So I will see how I think things are post pandemic.

• Like 2

I also would like to hear how things are?  I am scheduled for Brittania class this June for Alaska.

Last time I was on Cunard it was the QM2 several years ago and had a great voyage.

FYI, I have traveled on Royal and Celebrity post pandemic and quality definitely went down on Royal (didn't cruise Celebrity pre-pandemic).  So I would expect some drop on Cunard pre vs post.

• Thanks 1

We went on QE a year ago in April, and, as now, there were a number of very negative reviews to read before we boarded. We had a super time. Yes, we were in the Grills, but I don’t think that made much difference. As is often said, there seem to be two versions of each Cunard ship: the one I travel on, and the one that features in quite a lot of reviews, often written by people who never otherwise post. That trip had dreadful embarkation, but what is a couple of hours compared with a gorgeous fortnight? However, I can see if people are vexed by the embarkation, which anyway is not down to Cunard, that could turn them against the whole voyage. Nevertheless, I bet you have a splendid time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been sailing with Cunard for the last 12 years and came off my 6th Queen Elizabeth voyage last February. I can say that I was not disappointed at all. Yes, there has been some minor cost cutting, as to be expected in the current economic environment, but overall everything was up to my expectations. I did travel Britannia Club, and I would say that the dining room menu seemed be using lower cost ingredients but still cooked and presented very well. For example, there was no lobster offered this time on a 14 day voyage and the meat cuts in other dishes were of a slighly lower quality. However, I did seem to find that the main course servings were a bit larger than usual (that might be my imagination).

Anyway, overall I was very happy, even though we missed a few ports lol!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our first cruise with QE was Feb 20  we did 2 cruises a total of 55 nights last year . The main changes were: 

* no dance hosts 

* poor use of the queens room meant there wasn't as nearly much ballroom dancing as previously - this was mainly our second cruise with a female UK cruise director who was awful. The CD on the first cruise was a Canadian man and even though we had to be masked almost all the time and the officers were clearly not allowed to socialize, he made a big effort with the dancing , far more than the 2nc CD 

* ran out of some drinks - but we were doing long distance repositioning cruises (see my sig) so I think that was more logistics that deliberate 

* didn't really see much difference in food. Funny story on the 1st cruise some Grills passengers were absolutely furious because they were told for weeks that there was no black pudding or prunes on board - finally they ventured to the Lido and found both in abundance!  

* dress code had officially changed. They were also not enforcing it as they had to enforce mask wearing most of the time this was  fair enough - but I was surprised that men wearing shorts were served in the Queens Room 

* there was some issues with missing lecturers and entertainment - all of that was done to Covid 

* now have pub  menu in the evening - this was nice - but tricky to manage with trivia in the space at the same time. 

* the wifi was unusable on the first cruise - not slow - none existent - even most of the TV channels were out. This seemed to be mainly fixed on the 2nd cruise. 

* Cunard comms is awful (this is not a change) , they never announced covid number (see laundry rooms and craft corner for up-to-date gossip). They don't even say how many nationalities are on board. They didn't tell us we needed a Bermuda travel authority before boarding - I found out here and did it. Many didn't and then had to try to do it onboard before Florida - impossible to do with crap internet (it didn't require a paid connection). . Bermuda was then cancelled (no explanation - but obviously we had too much covid on board) - at least they manage to refund the cost promptly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QM2_SYD said:

I have been sailing with Cunard for the last 12 years and came off my 6th Queen Elizabeth voyage last February. I can say that I was not disappointed at all. Yes, there has been some minor cost cutting, as to be expected in the current economic environment, but overall everything was up to my expectations. I did travel Britannia Club, and I would say that the dining room menu seemed be using lower cost ingredients but still cooked and presented very well. For example, there was no lobster offered this time on a 14 day voyage and the meat cuts in other dishes were of a slighly lower quality. However, I did seem to find that the main course servings were a bit larger than usual (that might be my imagination).

Interesting - we had lobster a number of times on our cruises last year - so maybe that was more supply chain - we were in Britannia too 

• Like 2

I was on QE recently and have sailed on her prior to covid so have some point of comparison.

The ship itself is still lovely; I found her to be well-maintained and clean. My cabin was very well-presented and cared for with the strange exception of an amount of mouldy grouting in the shower. I was in QG.

As I said I was in QG dining room so cannot comment on Britannia dining room. The food in QG was sometimes very very good. Sometimes it was perfectly acceptable and enjoyable and on occasion it was inedible. My main waiter was very attentive and always asked me if it was not to my taste even though I hadn't said anything. The faults were not acceptable for a kitchen with the QG's reputation - lobster being vastly over-salted (to the point of it being inedible); soup having so much star anise it was inedible (mouth-going-numb level and it was pea and ham soup so not a traditionally spiced dish). Some of the food was just not to my taste. Overall, acceptable but a little disappointing. Staff in QG dining room exceptionally good and will go out of their way to assist. My dear waiter searched the kitchen to find me some decent English mustard to go with my roast beef - he first brought French mustard, then an enormous tub of stuff with no heat to it until he found something decent.

The choices in the buffet area seemed much diminished from pre-covid; less choice and lesser quality. Certainly still possible to find something to eat for breakfast or lunch or a very light dinner.

Quite a number of wines out of stock. They apparently only replenish in Southampton which makes no sense when they spend months away from their home port. Having said that, there were still plenty of very good wines on board

Service - mostly very good with some notable exceptions. Saw and experienced some odd behaviour from staff in a couple of the bars towards customers; a bit short-staffed in some areas but not in others; cabin staff very good; room service quick and efficient. There was one main bar/social area of the ship which seemed understaffed (or staff distracted and not attentive) at which there was always someone with a hacking cough in the kitchen area behind the bar - off-putting to say the least as you could hear it more than clearly when seated at the bar.

Queens Room was a shadow of its former self. As a keen ballroom dancer who relies on the hosts I missed being able to dance and found the room very sad and quiet. However, I didn't feel like staying to 'enjoy listening to the band' as the lead singer was awful; unbearably so to my ears. I did however enjoy the zumba classes held there during the day.

Entertainment is still provided; trivia, talks, music around the ship, performances in the theatre including comedians - good enough for what it is, which is entertainment on a cruise ship.

Cunard more generous than other lines I read about on CC in terms of providing free shuttle buses into the port towns thereby greatly enhancing ease of passenger ability to go ashore.

Is it good value you ask? Value is too subjective for me to answer that except to say that I have been happy to book again at the same per diem rate so that tells you something. Will it be good value to you - only you can answer that.

I should mention Cunard's admin, both on and off the ship. You'll just have to hope you don't have to have any dealings with them is all I would say. If I were to have the sort of administrative fuss I had on my last trip, again, I would be very much put off booking with them again. Having said that I do already have three further bookings with them but I won't book again if I have a recurrence of any admin dramas.

Give them a go. Where are the cruises you've booked for going?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I was on QE recently and have sailed on her prior to covid so have some point of comparison.

The ship itself is still lovely; I found her to be well-maintained and clean. My cabin was very well-presented and cared for with the strange exception of an amount of mouldy grouting in the shower. I was in QG.

As I said I was in QG dining room so cannot comment on Britannia dining room. The food in QG was sometimes very very good. Sometimes it was perfectly acceptable and enjoyable and on occasion it was inedible. My main waiter was very attentive and always asked me if it was not to my taste even though I hadn't said anything. The faults were not acceptable for a kitchen with the QG's reputation - lobster being vastly over-salted (to the point of it being inedible); soup having so much star anise it was inedible (mouth-going-numb level and it was pea and ham soup so not a traditionally spiced dish). Some of the food was just not to my taste. Overall, acceptable but a little disappointing. Staff in QG dining room exceptionally good and will go out of their way to assist. My dear waiter searched the kitchen to find me some decent English mustard to go with my roast beef - he first brought French mustard, then an enormous tub of stuff with no heat to it until he found something decent.

The choices in the buffet area seemed much diminished from pre-covid; less choice and lesser quality. Certainly still possible to find something to eat for breakfast or lunch or a very light dinner.

Quite a number of wines out of stock. They apparently only replenish in Southampton which makes no sense when they spend months away from their home port. Having said that, there were still plenty of very good wines on board

Service - mostly very good with some notable exceptions. Saw and experienced some odd behaviour from staff in a couple of the bars towards customers; a bit short-staffed in some areas but not in others; cabin staff very good; room service quick and efficient. There was one main bar/social area of the ship which seemed understaffed (or staff distracted and not attentive) at which there was always someone with a hacking cough in the kitchen area behind the bar - off-putting to say the least as you could hear it more than clearly when seated at the bar.

Queens Room was a shadow of its former self. As a keen ballroom dancer who relies on the hosts I missed being able to dance and found the room very sad and quiet. However, I didn't feel like staying to 'enjoy listening to the band' as the lead singer was awful; unbearably so to my ears. I did however enjoy the zumba classes held there during the day.

Entertainment is still provided; trivia, talks, music around the ship, performances in the theatre including comedians - good enough for what it is, which is entertainment on a cruise ship.

Cunard more generous than other lines I read about on CC in terms of providing free shuttle buses into the port towns thereby greatly enhancing ease of passenger ability to go ashore.

Is it good value you ask? Value is too subjective for me to answer that except to say that I have been happy to book again at the same per diem rate so that tells you something. Will it be good value to you - only you can answer that.

I should mention Cunard's admin, both on and off the ship. You'll just have to hope you don't have to have any dealings with them is all I would say. If I were to have the sort of administrative fuss I had on my last trip, again, I would be very much put off booking with them again. Having said that I do already have three further bookings with them but I won't book again if I have a recurrence of any admin dramas.

Give them a go. Where are the cruises you've booked for going?

What can I say when I get a positive like this, Barcelona - Singapore and Sydney- Yokohama. Many thanks.

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Interesting - we had lobster a number of times on our cruises last year - so maybe that was more supply chain - we were in Britannia too 

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Very many thanks Lissie.

21 hours ago, alc13 said:

Seems all good to me, but we’re in the Grills.  I’ll ask around.  The live music has been wonderful.  Service in the bars has been good so far, too.

17 hours ago, exlondoner said:

We went on QE a year ago in April, and, as now, there were a number of very negative reviews to read before we boarded. We had a super time. Yes, we were in the Grills, but I don’t think that made much difference. As is often said, there seem to be two versions of each Cunard ship: the one I travel on, and the one that features in quite a lot of reviews, often written by people who never otherwise post. That trip had dreadful embarkation, but what is a couple of hours compared with a gorgeous fortnight? However, I can see if people are vexed by the embarkation, which anyway is not down to Cunard, that could turn them against the whole voyage. Nevertheless, I bet you have a splendid time.

Many thanks.

8 hours ago, QM2_SYD said:

Great news!

18 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

I do think that you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt. Some people write reviews regardless of if they have a fabulous time or have some concerns. BUT... sometimes reviews are just written by people who had problems with their trip. They want their voices heard.

So absolutely, pay attention to what people are writing. 

Still, know that you are not getting a picture of everyone's experience. You are just hearing from people who wanted to write.

QE before the pandemic (2019) was absolutely wonderful. My only real complaints were the complimentary coffee in the Lido (the coffee for purchase was lovely- but I am a coffee snob who truly loves good black coffee with nothing else in it) and Cunard's WIFI as compared to the quality of other lines (wifi is something that I have to have as a business owner- I am not retired).

Otherwise, I had one of the best trips of my life. Our Cunard voyage was so amazing that we booked QE for 2020. (Of course that did not work out)

I have been waiting and planning since then- I will be back on board QE this summer in 2023 for Alaska. So I will see how I think things are post pandemic.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

The problem with reviews is what is important to one person is of no importance to another. For example I have zero interest in ballroom dancing or bingo, I don’t drink alcohol, and if one meal out of 20 is less than satisfactory I would shrug my shoulders and put it down to bad luck. On the other hand, if my cabin was dirty or I was deliberately treated unpleasantly I would probably comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:24 PM, Down-Unders said:

I have been reading on CC reviews, Cunard Q E Unrecognizable, Poor Service, Food up and down, not Value for money anymore, the only good reviews came the Grills, more like a 3 star ship with Dropping Standards. I know one has to have an open mind with regards reviews but with a 20 and 18 day cruise booked should we be concerned ?

I’d hoped to hear how non-Grills passengers on QE right now were liking their experience but I’m not having much success. Over half of the passengers are Japanese (I don’t speak Japanese), and the others are usually seated too far away for casual conversation.  We had breakfast in the Lido the other morning, though, and thought it was very good.

You might try re-posting your question while the Japan to Alaska cruise is underway.  There will be more English-speaking passengers on that one and you might have better luck.  We think the QE is in great shape, for what it’s worth.

• Like 1

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well; you can do so at: Write a Review"

Charlie Ocean was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I’ve just disembarked from a 25 day cruise from Singapore to Tokyo. I was travelling in a standard balcony cabin and ate in the main dining room, and the Lido buffet. There were a few grumbling Brits on the first leg of the cruise -their  main complaint being about poor communications from Cunard with regard to entry requirements for the different countries we were visiting. It all got sorted in the end - the Japanese entry requirements seemed complicated and required internet access and a mobile phone which not every one had. However when we actually arrived it was simple enough. 
To me the food was to the usual standard - perfectly acceptable. The meat was always tender and the choices sufficient. There are no berries , mangoes or bananas to be found anywhere , but that’s normal these days. There are no branded yoghurts either. Afternoon tea is as delicious and elegant as it always was. The buffet certainly had huge choice - especially in the second part of the cruise where the passengers were more than 50% Japanese. 
The service I had everywhere was as efficient and friendly as it always was. I think there are a lot of new crew who are finding their way, but they will get there in time. 
There was live music throughout the ship with harpists, violin trios, live bands, etc.  The Queens room was very well utilised-huge attendances at the chair aerobics and line dancing. The dance floor was packed in the evening with large numbers dancing. There were male and female dance hosts who were kept busy. 
Great shows in the Royal Court with the Fly Rights, the Four Ds, the Bootleg Beatles being amongst the highlights. Celebrity guest speakers included Sally Gunnell and Dickie Arbiter who were both wonderful. 

To sum up I had a fantastic time. Cunard still offers everything it always has -evening turn down service, free room service , great entertainment, afternoon tea with white gloved waiters , great cocktails etc etc. All cruises are what you make of them - if you are unhappy about anything Cunard will usually resolve it there and then. 
There are the odd rust spots here and there, the plastic shower curtains are still there as are the sudden surges of hot shower water, but these really are minor niggles. Overall, I think Cunard is just as good as it always was 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, Charlie Ocean said:

I’ve just disembarked from a 25 day cruise from Singapore to Tokyo. I was travelling in a standard balcony cabin and ate in the main dining room, and the Lido buffet. There were a few grumbling Brits on the first leg of the cruise -their  main complaint being about poor communications from Cunard with regard to entry requirements for the different countries we were visiting. It all got sorted in the end - the Japanese entry requirements seemed complicated and required internet access and a mobile phone which not every one had. However when we actually arrived it was simple enough. 
To me the food was to the usual standard - perfectly acceptable. The meat was always tender and the choices sufficient. There are no berries , mangoes or bananas to be found anywhere , but that’s normal these days. There are no branded yoghurts either. Afternoon tea is as delicious and elegant as it always was. The buffet certainly had huge choice - especially in the second part of the cruise where the passengers were more than 50% Japanese. 
The service I had everywhere was as efficient and friendly as it always was. I think there are a lot of new crew who are finding their way, but they will get there in time. 
There was live music throughout the ship with harpists, violin trios, live bands, etc.  The Queens room was very well utilised-huge attendances at the chair aerobics and line dancing. The dance floor was packed in the evening with large numbers dancing. There were male and female dance hosts who were kept busy. 
Great shows in the Royal Court with the Fly Rights, the Four Ds, the Bootleg Beatles being amongst the highlights. Celebrity guest speakers included Sally Gunnell and Dickie Arbiter who were both wonderful. 

To sum up I had a fantastic time. Cunard still offers everything it always has -evening turn down service, free room service , great entertainment, afternoon tea with white gloved waiters , great cocktails etc etc. All cruises are what you make of them - if you are unhappy about anything Cunard will usually resolve it there and then. 
There are the odd rust spots here and there, the plastic shower curtains are still there as are the sudden surges of hot shower water, but these really are minor niggles. Overall, I think Cunard is just as good as it always was.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, Charlie Ocean said:

There are the odd rust spots here and there, the plastic shower curtains are still there as are the sudden surges of hot shower water, but these really are minor niggles. Overall, I think Cunard is just as good as it always was 

Thank you for your comments very happy you had a good cruise, was getting worried that  Cunard was drastically changed as we have not sailed since the start of COVID and reading some of the reviews was cause for concern. We are now  off on the 24 May Yokohama to Vancouver  in Princess Grill, thank you again for your comments!   

On 4/28/2023 at 6:52 AM, Charlie Ocean said:

I’ve just disembarked from a 25 day cruise from Singapore to Tokyo.

Thanks for that detailed report. We are due to board June 30th for Alaska. First time in QG.