What is there to do on the ship if you stay on during a port day?

Thad409

We are thinking that we will just stay on the Glory in July during our port day in Freeport, I know that a lot of cruisers sometimes do this, what happens on the ship when most of the passengers are at the port. I guess what's there to do.

Good choice since Freeport is the least favorite port in many polls.  You can hang out at the pool with less people being chair hogs, you can imbibe at the bar of your choice if you invested in Cheers or you can check the list of things to do that are in listed in the Carnival capers or on the app.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Good choice since Freeport is the least favorite port in many polls.  You can hang out at the pool with less people being chair hogs, you can imbibe at the bar of your choice if you invested in Cheers or you can check the list of things to do that are in listed in the Carnival capers or on the app.

Be Careful, you're showing your age (Experience) 🙂

• Haha 4

We typically hang out on serenity and take advantage of no people around and no lines for eating or drinking.  Many ships have assorted games and activities (like the spa) on board during port days so take a look at the schedule for that day once onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This sounds like the best excursion that we could do

10 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

We typically hang out on serenity and take advantage of no people around and no lines for eating or drinking.  Many ships have assorted games and activities (like the spa) on board during port days so take a look at the schedule for that day once onboard.

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Staying on the ship sounds like the #1 excursion in Freeport then. Sold!!!

• Like 1

Great choice for a just OK port.

We usually sleep in, get up and have a nice unrushed breakfast in MDR.  I take pictures on the ship (cause like no one is around!).  Then we take advantage of the uncrowded pool area sometimes (this is the ONLY time I will go to the pool on board is if we decide to stay on while in port).  Also the trivia games came be fun.  Have a nice lunch and TAKE A NAP!  To me that is a luxury I get very rarely and an excursion all its own.

I usually will get off for at least 30 minutes or so at every port, even Freeport. Just to stretch my legs and soak in the sun. But I don't stay onshore long in Freeport, not much to see unless you're doing an excursion. At least until the new port at Grand Bahama opens.

There's plenty to enjoy when staying on the ship at port. Create your own personal sea day.

Enjoy a quieter ship with less people & lines. 

Lounge in the sun, relax, recharge & nap.

Take advantage of the port day Spa specials.

Less people at the fitness center; get your favorite machine.

Enjoy a late breakfast.

If available, self service laundry with no waiting.

With less people you can get terrific photos/video. 

Tour the ship.

Less people on the jogging track.

Look for hosted activities such as trivia & so on.

Pools, hot tubs, water slides, mini golf, ping ping & other various activities.

Of course there are many more options.

The bottom line & main aspect is that you get to enjoy the ship in a way that you wouldn't usually be able to do on a sea day. 

🍹

4 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

There's plenty to enjoy when staying on the ship at port. Create your own personal sea day.

Enjoy a quieter ship with less people & lines. 

Lounge in the sun, relax, recharge & nap.

Take advantage of the port day Spa specials.

Less people at the fitness center; get your favorite machine.

Enjoy a late breakfast.

If available, self service laundry with no waiting.

With less people you can get terrific photos/video. 

Tour the ship.

Less people on the jogging track.

Look for hosted activities such as trivia & so on.

Pools, hot tubs, water slides, mini golf, ping ping & other various activities.

Of course there are many more options.

The bottom line & main aspect is that you get to enjoy the ship in a way that you wouldn't usually be able to do on a sea day. 

🍹

Sound and well put advice that will be taken.

• Thanks 1

When I started cruising, I used to stay on the ship for a port day at least once a cruise. I was so enamored by the ships and just wanted everyone to get off at the port so I could enjoy the ship in peace! 😂

Now I rarely stay on the ship on a port day—not sure why; I think I just am better at navigating ports, and finding something to do, plus I’ve been on enough ships now that the “OMG I’m on a SHIP” reaction has waned. 

When I used to stay on the ship, I’d hang out at the uncrowded Lido, or Serenity deck. Have a leisurely and uncrowded lunch. Take lots of photos with fewer people in them. Sometimes take advantage of a spa special.  It would be the most chill day on my trip.

5 hours ago, wemjam said:

Great choice for a just OK port.

We usually sleep in, get up and have a nice unrushed breakfast in MDR.  I take pictures on the ship (cause like no one is around!).  Then we take advantage of the uncrowded pool area sometimes (this is the ONLY time I will go to the pool on board is if we decide to stay on while in port).  Also the trivia games came be fun.  Have a nice lunch and TAKE A NAP!  To me that is a luxury I get very rarely and an excursion all its own.

You're not sleeping in right. When I sleep in, it's time for lunch when I get up. lol

• Like 3

Sleep in and not have to worry about rushing to an excursion, go to the pool, hang out in a hot tub, meet cool people at a bar, go to a trivia session, go to the spa, find out what the activity directors have planned for the day (dance lessons, wine tasting, paper airplane contest, bingo... who knows?), read a book, plan your next cruise/vacation, go to the gym (you, not me), research the next port that you ARE interested in, take a nap, wander around and check out all the places (lounges, restaurants, tucked away spots) that you haven't been to on the ship yet, check out the places you usually avoid due to crowds, fool around with your other half, explain to a bartender the type of drinks you enjoy and have him/her make you a drink you haven't had before (they'll have more time to work with you since there will be fewer people onboard), watch a movie, go to a talk/lecture or take in some musical entertainment if any are scheduled, soak up a little bit of sun, write a journal of your trip so far, research something online that you haven't had time to research previously, take photos of the ship, people watch (especially those who went ashore and came back looking very happy... if they look REALLY happy, find out what they did onshore!).. 

13 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

Sleep in and not have to worry about rushing to an excursion, go to the pool, hang out in a hot tub, meet cool people at a bar, go to a trivia session, go to the spa, find out what the activity directors have planned for the day (dance lessons, wine tasting, paper airplane contest, bingo... who knows?), read a book, plan your next cruise/vacation, go to the gym (you, not me), research the next port that you ARE interested in, take a nap, wander around and check out all the places (lounges, restaurants, tucked away spots) that you haven't been to on the ship yet, check out the places you usually avoid due to crowds, fool around with your other half, explain to a bartender the type of drinks you enjoy and have him/her make you a drink you haven't had before (they'll have more time to work with you since there will be fewer people onboard), watch a movie, go to a talk/lecture or take in some musical entertainment if any are scheduled, soak up a little bit of sun, write a journal of your trip so far, research something online that you haven't had time to research previously, take photos of the ship, people watch (especially those who went ashore and came back looking very happy... if they look REALLY happy, find out what they did onshore!).. 

Heck I may start staying onboard the ship on all the port days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

You're not sleeping in right. When I sleep in, it's time for lunch when I get up. lol

That was my immediate thought also. They stop serving breakfast so early we have never eaten breakfast in the MDR on a port day in over 35 cruises.

We use port days in places we don't get off, or just get off to wander around on our own, (like Freeport, Cozumel, Jamaica and often Nassau) because we have been there so much, to sleep very late and recharge our batteries. In that same vein we don't drink until the ship sails. It is a day of laying around, reading and and being lazy.

8 hours ago, wemjam said:

We usually sleep in, get up and have a nice unrushed breakfast in MDR. 

Wow, a matter of perspective post.  If the MDR closes on a port day for breakfast at 900 or 930, then sleeping in means getting up at 830.  This would be true if you're normally up at 630 each day, but those of us who are retired are usually up at 630 for our second visit to use the facilities before going back to sleep.😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thad409 said:

This sounds like the best excursion that we could do

Staying on the ship sounds like the #1 excursion in Freeport then. Sold!!!

But don’t tell too many cruisers about this #1 excursion, don’t want too many signing up,  will get too crowded - ha. 

49 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Wow, a matter of perspective post.  If the MDR closes on a port day for breakfast at 900 or 930, then sleeping in means getting up at 830.  This would be true if you're normally up at 630 each day, but those of us who are retired are usually up at 630 for our second visit to use the facilities before going back to sleep.😉

Hey I resemble that. I’m newly retired but loving every minute of it. The party really starts next March when my BETTER half retires.