Australia / New Zealand Port Summary

The free shuttle bus in Fremantle runs regularly from the railway station during cruise ship days. However, during our visit last month, the bus had broken down, so after our train arrived about 40 of us opted to walk from the station to the ship instead of waiting for another bus. The walk was quite easy, involving a leisurely stroll across the railway line (just past the station) and took about 15 minutes. During the walk, we had the opportunity to chat with other passengers whom we later met up with several times during the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

The free shuttle bus in Fremantle runs regularly from the railway station during cruise ship days. However, during our visit last month, the bus had broken down, so after our train arrived about 40 of us opted to walk from the station to the ship instead of waiting for another bus. The walk was quite easy, involving a leisurely stroll across the railway line (just past the station) and took about 15 minutes. During the walk, we had the opportunity to chat with other passengers whom we later met up with several times during the cruise.

Did you have to walk up over a railway bridge or was it flat?

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

There's also Timaru in NZ (a docking port as per my itinerary for Feb 2024).

Yes, please add in Timaru.  The locals are making a big effort for the few cruise ships that come there. There is a free shuttle bus, actually several buses on a ten minute timetable, that take you to the central market square, where the tourist information office is located in a lovely old bluestone wharf building, and also has a museum and a NZ crafts shop.  Another advantage is that this is right next door to an excellent pub in another heritage building, which does meals, and is only a block from the main street.

When we were there in March, there was a small market on in the square. Apparently, the harbour at Timaru is tricky, and Noordam was the biggest cruise ship that had been there.  It even made news in the local paper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, please add in Timaru.  The locals are making a big effort for the few cruise ships that come there. There is a free shuttle bus, actually several buses on a ten minute timetable, that take you to the central market square, where the tourist information office is located in a lovely old bluestone wharf building, and also has a museum and a NZ crafts shop.  Another advantage is that this is right next door to an excellent pub in another heritage building, which does meals, and is only a block from the main street.

When we were there in March, there was a small market on in the square. Apparently, the harbour at Timaru is tricky, and Noordam was the biggest cruise ship that had been there.  It even made news in the local paper.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/131559345/long-time-no-sea-cruise-ship-season-brings-almost-10000-visitors-to-timaru

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

For Yorkeys, there is indeed a cost for the shuttle to Cairns, but the good news is it is only Royal/Majestic Princess, Ovation/Quantum of the Seas that are tendering there instead of docking. 

Port Douglas - no shuttle required

Newcastle - has a free shuttle to take passengers from the secure wharf over to Queens Wharf on the Harbour foreshore.

Add Celebrity Edge to this list for tendering at Yorkeys.  I'm booked on Edge for 25Feb2024 Great Barrier Reef Cruise and it lists us as tendering at Yorkeys not docking in Cairns. 

Great list Julie.  Thank you for putting it together as it's very helpful.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, triplem67 said:

Add Celebrity Edge to this list for tendering at Yorkeys.  I'm booked on Edge for 25Feb2024 Great Barrier Reef Cruise and it lists us as tendering at Yorkeys not docking in Cairns. 

Great list Julie.  Thank you for putting it together as it's very helpful.  

Yes, very true. I just had this seasons ships in mind. Yes, Edge plus QM2 also has an appointment with Yorkeys next summer.

As for shuttle prices from Yorkeys to the park in Cairns, we paid a bit over $20pp for the return trip with Majestic Princess. I think it was $22, but somewhat irrelevant as the prices will be different for next season, and different again for Royal, Celebrity & Cunard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Normanville said:

Adelaide public travel is FREE for anyone with an Australian seniors card all day, 7 days a week. Train, bus and tram. For overseas travelers it is $11.20 for an all day pass available on the train on credit card.

We paid $10 per adult for a special cruise ship passenger ticket which provides public transport all day. It was free for my 14 yo and 73 yo mum, $5 for my 17yo.

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Yes, very true. I just had this seasons ships in mind. Yes, Edge plus QM2 also has an appointment with Yorkeys next summer.

As for shuttle prices from Yorkeys to the park in Cairns, we paid a bit over $20pp for the return trip with Majestic Princess. I think it was $22, but somewhat irrelevant as the prices will be different for next season, and different again for Royal, Celebrity & Cunard.

Cairns $4 seniors all day bus pass (cash on bus).  So Yorkeys return $4 for seniors.  I've caught a bus from Yorkeys in the past.  Depends how much time you have in port really.  

2 hours ago, Normanville said:

Adelaide public travel is FREE for anyone with an Australian seniors card all day, 7 days a week. Train, bus and tram. For overseas travelers it is $11.20 for an all day pass available on the train on credit card.

We were told only until 3pm on weekdays. All day every day only applies to SA seniors.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Cairns $4 seniors all day bus pass (cash on bus).  So Yorkeys return $4 for seniors.  I've caught a bus from Yorkeys in the past.  Depends how much time you have in port really.  

As a port summary, I guess it depends how much detail it has beyond whether shuttles are free or paid. A bit of a walk to the shops and a long line waiting for the local bus when we were there in October, then a couple of blocks from the bus stop to the Esplanade at the other end. All do-able of course, even with some extra diversions if you are there on a Sunday.

I'm considering changing it to landscape mode and including a short list of places of interest or activities that can be done without an excursion or booking anything.

What do you think? Would it make it too unwieldy? I'd just list them with a note saying look them up online for more information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In January 2023 the railway bridge was closed off so we had to walk up to the station and cross there.

We took the train into Perth and used the free busses from the station there to get around.

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjuwLHmp7_-AhWziP0HHRVUBf0QFnoECBIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.transperth.wa.gov.au%2Ftimetables%2Fcat-timetables&usg=AOvVaw31N6uctgxuOcWIi_UKKEvi

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The path was flat and smooth, making it effortless to roll our suitcases along. Although there is a level crossing, the probability of encountering a train passing through is low.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm considering changing it to landscape mode and including a short list of places of interest or activities that can be done without an excursion or booking anything.

Yes, please do that if you have time. I would have loved that information before my March cruise.

29 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, please do that if you have time. I would have loved that information before my March cruise.

I'll be relying on feedback from everyone here so if you have any recommendations please post them.

27 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

As far as the new port of Brisbane goes, Cunard put on a free shuttle for all passengers wanting to go into Brisbane when I was there in February. Very useful given the feedback I had read about the new port there being so inaccessible.

Last month when we were in Brisbane, Princess provided shuttle buses for $40 for a round trip. They referred to this service as a "Brisbane on your own" tour.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were told only until 3pm on weekdays. All day every day only applies to SA seniors.

For interstate seniors cards: "A concession fare is required from 7am to 9am and 3pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday"

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/tickets-and-fares/seniors-card

This website has a handy Fare Finder (scroll about halfway down the page)

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/tickets-and-fares/adelaide-metro-fares#Studentfaresandtickets

46 minutes ago, boeckli said:

For interstate seniors cards: "A concession fare is required from 7am to 9am and 3pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday"

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/tickets-and-fares/seniors-card

This website has a handy Fare Finder (scroll about halfway down the page)

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/tickets-and-fares/adelaide-metro-fares#Studentfaresandtickets

Yes, but 9am to 3pm is free on weekdays.