Thoughts on Surfside Family Suite on Icon of the Seas?

Has anyone taken a look at the Surfside Family Suite on Icon of the Seas? I'm considering it for a cruise way in the future - 2025 - and would love input on who thinks suite benefits are worth the upcharge even if you don't get to look at over the ocean. It's the cheapest sky class suite and has tons of room and looks like fun. You get access to the suite sundeck and free Zoom internet since it's Sky Class. I'd have to pay $9,900 for this suite vs. $6,300 for an ocean view balcony but that upcharge seems worth it to me for the suite sundeck access and there is the bonus of the internet so that saves a bit, too. The next step up that would give ocean views, but no balcony, is the Ocean View Panoramic suite and that goes up to a steep $13,400. The views are gorgeous, tho. 

Just curious about this particular room overlooking what will be the new Surfside neighborhood. I'm sure it will be noisy like the Boardwalk. There's an infinite balcony, so it's like the ones on Celebrity, with the window that goes up and down to form a balcony of sorts. Seems ideal for this type of interior balcony. I actually like it. 

ic-sf-render-1.jpg

33 minutes ago, acuprulez said:

Personally I don't think RCL suite benefits are worth it below star - they charge a LOT just to give some internet and CK basically.

I went and looked at other ships, and it appears the difference is the big suite deck they've added to some ships like Wonder and the Icon. Sky Class has access to it. On the Icon the grand suites and owner's suite are Sky Class. The only suite that is a higher ranking is the Icon Loft Suite and that is Star Class. There is a class that is below Sky Class called "Sea Class" for junior suites. It looks like that is the same for the ship I looked at for 2024, Harmony of the Seas. But the difference is there is no suite deck listed for Sky Class on Harmony, but ships like Wonder and Icon have it. 

The Star Class benefits are listed as these: 

Exclusive Access to the Suite Sun Deck 
Exclusive Access to Royal Genie Service 
All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen 
Complimentary Specialty Restaurants 
Complimentary Ultimate Beverage Package (for guests 21 years or older) 
Complimentary Royal Replenish Package (for guests under 21 years old) 
Complimentary Gratuities 
Complimentary VOOM

The Sky Class benefits are listed as these:

Concierge Service 

All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen 

Specialty Bottled Water (upon arrival) 

Complimentary VOOM 

Priority Boarding & Departure

The Sea Class benefits are listed as these:

Dinner at Coastal Kitchen, based on availability* 
Priority Boarding 
Royal Caribbean Classic Bathrobes for Use Onboard 
Luxury Bathroom Amenities 
*Reservations are required. Beverages are not included.

Icon's suite deck has a large sun deck on two levels and they're calling it a "neighborhood" now, and it has a pool and hot tub, etc. Here are pictures of the suite deck coming up on Icon. I guess it's deciding if this is worth the upcharge. 

the-grove-suite-sun-deck-render-1.jpg

the-grove-suite-sun-deck-render-2.jpg

Edited by goldentrio

3 hours ago, goldentrio said:

I went and looked at other ships, and it appears the difference is the big suite deck they've added to some ships like Wonder and the Icon. Sky Class has access to it. On the Icon the grand suites and owner's suite are Sky Class. The only suite that is a higher ranking is the Icon Loft Suite and that is Star Class. There is a class that is below Sky Class called "Sea Class" for junior suites. It looks like that is the same for the ship I looked at for 2024, Harmony of the Seas. But the difference is there is no suite deck listed for Sky Class on Harmony, but ships like Wonder and Icon have it. 

The Star Class benefits are listed as these: 

Exclusive Access to Royal Genie Service 
All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen 
Complimentary Specialty Restaurants 
Complimentary Ultimate Beverage Package (for guests 21 years or older) 
Complimentary Royal Replenish Package (for guests under 21 years old) 
Complimentary Gratuities 
Complimentary VOOM

The Sky Class benefits are listed as these:

Concierge Service 

All Day Access to Coastal Kitchen 

Specialty Bottled Water (upon arrival) 

Complimentary VOOM 

Priority Boarding & Departure

The Sea Class benefits are listed as these:

Dinner at Coastal Kitchen, based on availability* 
Priority Boarding 
Royal Caribbean Classic Bathrobes for Use Onboard 
Luxury Bathroom Amenities 
*Reservations are required. Beverages are not included.

Icon's suite deck has a large sun deck on two levels and they're calling it a "neighborhood" now, and it has a pool and hot tub, etc. Here are pictures of the suite deck coming up on Icon. I guess it's deciding if this is worth the upcharge. 

the-grove-suite-sun-deck-render-1.jpg

the-grove-suite-sun-deck-render-2.jpg

Icon also has UFS and royal loft which are both star class as well. 

3 hours ago, goldentrio said:

But the difference is there is no suite deck listed for Sky Class on Harmony, but ships like Wonder and Icon have it. 

This isn't true.  This wraps all the way around the forward portion of Deck 17

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 10.49.44 AM.png

Edited by Tree_skier

Keep looking.  Just my opinion but I think that suites are the way to go.  What I would look for if you can is a Junior Sky Suite.  Up on 16 and 17 w great views and wide hallways with less $$.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that you get double C&A points for any suite, including JS.  That gets your status higher quickly.  And there is something very nice about having a lot of room to move around.  Star class is amazing, only had it once but it was very cool.  But very pricey. If we wanted to go star class on Icon we would have to pay 34k for my husband and two teenagers in the icon loft suite.  AND that is the price the day booking opened; it is about 5k more now.  

What DH and I decided to do is book a GS and a JS on deck 17, next to each other.  This way kids have own room and so do we;) and we have a great view balcony bigger than the OS.  AND the total for both rooms is less than 1/2 of the Icon loft.  No genie, but I can buy the UBP and dining plan for less than 2k.  

Don't get me wrong, its still a ton of money we save up 2 years for, but for our family it is worth the cost and the wait to go with a suite.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is the Surfside Family Suite a higher or lower level than the Sky Junior Suite? Just wondering bc I have a Sky Junior Suite guarantee for Sky Suite but I do not want to end up in a Surfside Family Suite if they run out of Sky junior suites.

2 hours ago, Noelle2016 said:

Is the Surfside Family Suite a higher or lower level than the Sky Junior Suite? Just wondering bc I have a Sky Junior Suite guarantee for Sky Suite but I do not want to end up in a Surfside Family Suite if they run out of Sky junior suites.

Surfside is below Sky Junior. 

I booked two of these S/S Family Suites (side by side) when the booking opened for a May 2024 family cruise.

I'm not too impressed with the suites option/pricing on this ship. We'll see how it goes come May but if we weren't sailing with our adult kids and 4 grandkids I wouldn't have booked this cabin/ship.

We love the GS and 2 bedroom GS on the Oasis class...a much better layout and option for us when they cruise with us.

35 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I'm not too impressed with the suites option/pricing on this ship

Give it a few years and the Utopia and next Icon class launching for the pricing to change and become much, much more reasonable.

2 minutes ago, notscb said:

Give it a few years and the Utopia and next Icon class launching for the pricing to change and become much, much more reasonable.

My main point was the suite categories...layout vs the other fleet design.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 3:44 AM, Noelle2016 said:

Surfside Family suite is lower than Junior Sky Suite.  JSS is now on Decks 16 and 17...

On 6/28/2023 at 3:44 AM, Noelle2016 said:

If you have a Sky JS guarantee (I didn't realize they had such a thing !!) then you will only be assigned a cabin that is classified as [at least] Sky Suite Class.