Seafood Boil or Fried Clams in San Francisco?

dizzyr

Take a look at Google Maps and note the restaurants in the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area. Go to their websites and look at their menus.

The reason I suggest that is because we in the Bay Area may not call those things by the name you are accustomed to...so I don't know if we have anything similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Take a look at Google Maps and note the restaurants in the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area. Go to their websites and look at their menus.

The reason I suggest that is because we in the Bay Area may not call those things by the name you are accustomed to...so I don't know if we have anything similar.

Thanks - I did that for a bunch of places and didn't find what I was looking for so I was hoping someone might know of a place I didn't find. 

Like @CruiserBruce mentioned, seafood boils (like you find in Louisiana for example) and fried clams aren't a San Francisco "thing".  You will find Cioppino in many restaurants in the area, which is a mixed seafood soup type of dish.  Try that.  Or Dungeness Crab.  Many restaurants will sell steamed clams, but I don't believe the clams are local.

Cioppino (Seafood Stew) | The Mediterranean Dish

image.thumb.png.76aab81e575e9307bbeac84811466405.png

• Like 2

What Oakridger and Bruce said. Since you are at Fisherman's Wharf, I'd go to Scoma's for their cioppino or The Franciscan for their crab.

Dungeness Crab, cioppino and sourdough bread are the three most famous foods from San Francisco.

Skip the clams you can get them anywhere and go with the cioppino it's a SF original, sort of.  I cook both cioppino and seafood boils and they are totally different.  If you aren't a fan of tomato based sauces then skip the cioppino.  

On 4/27/2023 at 2:57 PM, tonit964 said:

Last year on a coastal cruise with a stop in San Francisco, my brother really wanted fried clams so we went to Chowders at Pier 39. He really enjoyed them.

Clams or oysters?  SF area is well known for their oysters either raw or fried.  

14 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Clams or oysters?  SF area is well known for their oysters either raw or fried.  

It was fried clams, we are not fans of oysters. I think my brother got his love of fried clams from his younger days going to Howard Johnson's and their all you could fried  clams on Friday nights. 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

It was fried clams, we are not fans of oysters. I think my brother got his love of fried clams from his younger days going to Howard Johnson's and their all you could fried  clams on Friday nights.

Ha ha, OMG, I'd so forgotten about HoJo's fried clams. I am not a fan of deep fried fish in general, but there are times when I want Fish & Chips, fried shrimp or clam strips and in SF I usually go to one of the shacks on Taylor Street in FW.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, tonit964 said:

I think my brother got his love of fried clams from his younger days going to Howard Johnson's and their all you could fried  clams on Friday nights. 😊

Mine was the fried Catfish.  I could eat it until I threw up.  

On 4/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, scottca075 said:

Ha ha, OMG, I'd so forgotten about HoJo's fried clams. I am not a fan of deep fried fish in general, but there are times when I want Fish & Chips, fried shrimp or clam strips and in SF I usually go to one of the shacks on Taylor Street in FW.

H. Salt esq for Fish & Chips I really miss that place.